The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yohe's Movie Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 84, 85, 86  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
I think studios were refusing to make movies with old directors like Hawks & John Ford, and the only reason they got movies was because John Wayne would star. And Rio BRAVO was a big hit, so they did two more.

Land of the Pharaohs was a bomb and he took some time off in Europe, but that was after a stretch of directing a ton of stuff over 1952-53 including some hits.

After Rio Bravo and Hatari (Wayne as well), he got greenlit on two non-Wayne movies - Man's Favorite Sport (made money thanks to Hudson) and Red Line 7000 (which bombed out). El Dorado was already filming before Red Line 7000 came out, so it bombing didn't matter as far as El Dorado mattered.

Rio Lobo was a bomb. That might have put a fork in him, though plenty of other people got to make movies after bombs.

I haven't read a bio on him, so it's not totally clear what fully caused him to slow down after El Dorado and stop after Rio Lobo.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just the movie studio, it the insurance companies. On the last of the three mention, John Ford was on the set every day, in case something happened to Hawks.

Republic Studio didn't want to make the classic movie THE QUIET MAN. To get it made, Ford & Wayne had to make RIO GRANDE, a weak western, using the same cast in THE QUIET MAN. Ford's relationship with Wayne kept him in business.

I got this from reading a John Wayne book, about 8 years ago.

Wayne did want to make the last the last Hawks's movie, and bitched about making the same film three time. Hawks wanted Mitchum to be in RIO LOBO & he refused. It was so bad, that it wouldn't have been release without Wayne in it.

I don't like all three.--- Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
It's not just the movie studio, it the insurance companies. On the last of the three mention, John Ford was on the set every day, in case something happened to Hawks.

Which is funny as Ford was in just as bad of health as Hawks, and also hadn't made a movie since 1966 (Ford never made one after).

Of course Wayne could get most any movie made he wanted to back then.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TENET is another movie about Christopher Nolan's obsession of time travel. Unlike with MEMENTO & DUNKIRK it doesn't work. But some people will watch this film & say it's art & a masterpiece, while the group who what to be entertained in a mindless way will think it's a total confused mess. One thing is for sure, if Nolan set out to be understood, he failed. It is a film you really have to work at to understand. I mean WORK at it. Another sure thing, is that it took a master film maker to get this on film. I think it may be the most difficult film to make in history. And every piece of it is well made and thought out. Is the film supposed smartness covering over a ton of goofy thought. Yeah....for sure.

First of all, I watched this on Blue-ray, not in a theater in IMAX. I knew about this movie going in, so I was ready for it to be a hard night. I watched the first 20 minutes. Because of the mumbling of lines, rhythm of speech, and loud music....you couldn't understand what was being said. I was trying really hard to figure it out, but it was interesting enough to get it right.....so I used the subtitles.

The whole complicated plot comes from the dialog, so it was an important step in understanding this thing. The first 20 minute nothing like what I thought was being said. And the dialog is interesting, important, & enjoyable. I don't know how you could figure out this movie in a theater!

Is the movie a mess? No.... I think it's the exact movie Nolan wanted to make. In a way, his complicated storyline & fast pace...has you thinking about ideas that have passed as new thought are passing by you in the next shot....has It's intelligence covering up the stupid stuff. You can see the holes in all of it, but you really don't have time to worry about them.

The biggest hole is that there is no such thing as time travel. It doesn't exist in science, and will never happen. It's impossible. It's goofy SF stuff from comic books .....bad comic books. The problems created by using time travel in anything is too much to write about here. I refuse to go thru it all. I know people today don't want to be limited by rules & impossibilities, but it's pure bullshit.... and to think about it will destroy your brain. OK. It's like watching ECW wrestling.

I've watched this at least three times. The first time, once I got the subtitles rowing, I worked really hard at. I follow it pretty good, and I thought, until the big battle at the end, that I understood most of it (I didn't). At that point I gave up, and just watched it all. The big thing learned was it was about a battle between the future & today. The future is using time to fight us today. In the movie, we never see these people from the future, or really know anything about them. OK you got that, but when they send things & human into the past .... they travel backward. Yes .... I think that was what was happening. So when Nolan filmed fights and car chases ... he has to fill them twice ....forward & backward ... and edit it all together.

So after the 2nd viewing I thought I understood it better & it almost fit together. I wanted to like the movie by then ... so I did. The acting is very good. I should say that this is very much a James Bond spy film. So the hero is a super spy. OK...in this type film you need a true Hollywood star. I would say that John David Washington (son of Denzel) does a very good job with the acting & he can do all the physical stuff really well. There is nothing wrong with him, but he is not a true movie star at this time. He can't hold the screen for 2 hours like a real movie star.... at least yet. It's a major hole in this movie. Yet he is good. Maybe this generation of film makers don't have movie stars anymore. Robert Pattionson as the 2nd lead, is a very interesting actor & seems like a major star of the future. They say he does stunts better that the stuntmen, 6'3" Elizabeth Debicki is very good as the bad guys wife, and Kenneth Branagh kills as the bad Russian rich arms dealer, set on destroying the world ....ok because he is dying from cancer, and if he can't have the world, no one can. Yeah that's the plot. The acting is good & there is character development.

I left the 2nd viewing thinking it wasn't a mess, if you worked at watching the movie. Nolan had it all fitting together. I wanted to do this review, but couldn't put my thoughts together, so I sat on it. Yet I think it's an important film in 2020 …. the blockbuster that got screwed by the virus. Seems it will be remembered in film history. Maybe, but would it have been a huge hit in a regular world? It would have made money but not huge. The old, lazy, and stupid people would have hated it. So I wanted to write something, but after a number of months pasted, my ideas were fading. So I watched it again last night.

I've changed my mind again. I saw a ton of holes in the thing, and the big final battle is an impossible mess. Tried to do way too much.

To end this, I think it's one of the great bad movies. Maybe it passes the DEERHUNTER as my favorite bad movie of all time. Took amazing amount of skill to make this thing … but it's bad. Should an audience have to work & get a headache to understand a movie? Is a movie that is more of a puzzle than a story be considered good? Should not being for the mass audience be considered a good thing? I don't know, but I'm calling it a bad movie. I think it's a film that should be seen by people who are interested in the making of movies, and history. As I said, some really smart or think they are smart humans may think TENET is a masterpiece, by one of the great directors of our time.

One more thing....Nolan tacks on a Casablanca ending to it. I really only got it on the third viewing. But in the spirit of the time travel story, the movie's friendship ending is the end for Robert Pattionson's guy, but the beginning for the John David Washington's guy. It was meant to be a series of buddy time travel movies between the two. So Nolan was going to make more of them.

So I give this movie a inverted ***.

Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DA 5 BLOODS is a bad movie. 5 moral black Army guys are sent to find millions of dollors of gold bars that had crashed in the jungles of Viet Nam, but because Martin Luther King has been killed, thy kill a bunch of Viet Kong, and stash (steal) the gold or just leave it with the bad guys everywhere. Then in present times, they got back to modern VN to find the body of their leader, lost in the fire fight and mostly the lost gold.

The movie is an emotional mess. Poorly directed by Spike Lee & is more like a Mexican soap opera than a real war movie. Cladwick Boseman is in the movie for 8 minutes. Everyone in the film is either up or down fron scene to scene. Love to hate, and they are wonderful people lost in a world of hatred for blacks. It show most of the clips from Viet Nam & the civil rights moments. It has stuff stolen from KELLY'S HEROs, THE TREASURE OF SIERRA MADRE, THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI, MISSING IN ACTION, UNCOMMON VALOR, WILD BUNCH, and most of all APOCALYPSE NOW.

These 5 black guys, using the names of the Temptations, haven't got over the trama of fucking Viet Nam after 50 years. And after 3 tours of Nam, they don't know you not supposed to put your M-16 on automatic during a firer fight. They do find the gold bars, millions worth, and the over 70 year old guys carry it out of the jungle in back packs. They dress like thay did when they left Nam. The VN whores had a heart of gold & the one black guy marries her at the end of the movie, but it's helps that she became rich over the years. All the Viet Namese guys are played by the MMA guys nomally in Chinese Kung KU movies.

I give it **1/4.

I'm sure Spike Lee will be crying at the racist Oscars because it doesn't win best picture. I meant this to be a negative review, does it show.

EMMA I watched on HBO and I liked it a lot. I am a romantic guy. ***1/2 The set designs were really wonderful. It's about a handsome, witty, rich girl, who life is wonderful, but has to pick a husban for herself & everyone else in the movie. Very interesting & touching. I'm sure John will tell me there are a bunch of other version of this Jane Austen movie, but I've never seen any of them. It was all new to me. You have to see the art in making “nothing” interesting. Johnny Flynn character I liked because it reminded me of me. Did I tell you I was romantic? I think Anya Taylor-Joy is the break out star of 2020. I liked THE QUEEN'S GAMBIT too. You would think there was a sword fight in it, but I seem to be interested in versions of English culture in film during my old age. ---Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I saw a movie in a theater for the first time in a years. It was a 4 PM movie on a Wednesday & I was the only person in the theater. Had my shots, wore a mask & sat in the second row. But it was just me, and I seemed to survive the experience.

The movie was WONDER WOMAN 1984. I knew it was a bomb, & there were other films I wanted to see more, but I needed to know just how bad because it's hard to believe DC could screw up the one character that worked for them & their cash cow. Ok it's terrible. Just a really stupid PG family piece of junk. It's feel, almost from the beginning, made me remember the mess that was Christopher's SUPERMAN 3 and SUPERMAN 4, that destroyed DC first big moments in major films. The story is really hard to sit thru. The villian is a conman that has the power to give everyone their wish. Yeah, and from that he screws every one, The other bad guy is Kristen Wiig who has a big fight with Wonder Woman. That's really about it. The action is really limited. Chris Pine returns from the dead & then dies again without actually being seen dying. And it's 1984, a time period that the director thought was the major period in the world's culture. I don't know why? Gail Gadot looks great in the role, but they put her in spots that shows her weak spots....mainly her voice. I give it *1/18. Really it's unthinkable, that DC would allow such a terrible movie to be made from such a sure thing. I can't believe it. All you comic book fans should go see it and suffer like I did. --- Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something for Steve:

What are your Top 20 Favorite Westerns?

This is a question that I saw someone posted earlier in the month on Facebook. I've got mine, but don't want to impact your thoughts at all.

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok but it's hard to do & it changes all the time.

Check this:

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/400-million-knives-out-2-deal-netflix-movie-franchise/?utm_source=Den+Of+Geek+US&utm_campaign=566bc5af61-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2021_03_31&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_bb43dbbe54-566bc5af61-75521562
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Ok but it's hard to do & it changes all the time.

No problem. My lists do all the time as well. Just thought it would be something fun. If you have fun with this one, we can do other lists each half year or each quarter.

Quote:
Check this:

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/400-million-knives-out-2-deal-netflix-movie-franchise

That is a hell of a lot of money. Probably one of the reasons the first movie was so cheap is that all the name actors got back end money. Seems likely that to get the same level of stars in #2 & #3 you have to pay them upfront when streaming - there is no real back end, except for DVD and long term syndication... though Netflix likely has exclusive rights for a looooooonnnnnggg time.

Daniel Craig probably is going to get close to normal Bond money... well, probably a bit less, but a good old chunk of that $200M per movie.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Westerns we should do favorite movie stars thru time. That is interesting to me because I like everyone. Or disliked film star. I don't know who my most liked star is ... it would interest me. I've never heard you talk about film stars, & don't know if you think like that.. --Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
After Westerns we should do favorite movie stars thru time. That is interesting to me because I like everyone. Or disliked film star. I don't know who my most liked star is ... it would interest me. I've never heard you talk about film stars, & don't know if you think like that.. --Yohe

One a quarter so we don't burn it out. No need to block it out too far in advance. Favorite Westerns, then your pick of Favorite/Non-Favorite Stars... whatever tickles your fancy in July. After we do Westerns you've got some time to think about it and watch some movies to test your thoughts on guys. I can go first when you pick, and like this one you can go first when I pick. Short paragraph on each pick.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't want to write much. A lot of them I've talked about in the past. I'm about done. ---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STEVE YOHE”S FAVORITE WESTERNS

1-SHANE*
2-THE WILD BUNCH*
3-THE PROFESSIONALS*
4-THE SEARCHERS (1956)*
5-THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY*
6-HOMBRE (1967)*
7-THE GUN FIGHT AT THE OK CORRAL (1957)*
8-THE BIG COUNTRY*
9-THE YEARLING (1946)
10-THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS (1992)*
11-RED RIVER*
12 -BUTCH CASSITY & THE SUNDANCE KID*
13-UNFORGIVEN (1992)*
14 -FORT APACHE (1948)*
15-WINCHESTER 73 (1950)*
16-BLOOD ON THE MOON
17-PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID (DIRECTORS CUT)*
18-3 GODFATHERS*
19-THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD*
20-THE BIG TRAIL (1930)*

21- 7 MEN FROM HOW*
22-MY DARLING CLEMENTINE (1946)*
23-HIGH NOON (1952)*
24-THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN (1960)*
25- THE REVENANT*
26-ULZANA'S RAID (1972)*
26-TOMBSTONE*
28-THE OX-BOW INCIDENT (1942)*
29-STAGECOACH (1939)*
30-TRUE GRIT (2010)*
31-OPEN RANGE (2002)*
32-TRUE GRIT (1969)*
33-THE KENTUCKIAN (1955)*
34-THE STALKING MOON (1968)*
35-THE BIG SKY (1952)
36-HELL OR HIGH WATER (2016)*
37-RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY (1962)*
38-HEAVEN'S GATE (1980)
39-TOM HORN (1980)*
40-APPALOOSA (2008)*
41-WILD BILL (1995)*
42-THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE (1948)*
43-FOR A FEW DOLLARDS MORE*
44-ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST*
45-THE LONG RIDERS (1980)*
46-SILVERADO (1985)*
47-THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE*
48-SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON (1949)*
49-ONE-EYE JACKS (1961)*
50-JESSE JAMES (1939)*
51-VERA CRUZ (1954)*
52-BEND OF THE RIVER (1952)
53-THE GUNFIGHTER (1950)
54-THE FAR COUNTRY (1954)
55-DESTRY RIDES AGAIN (1939)
56-THE MAN FROM LARAMIE (1954)
57-COMANCHE STATION (1960)
58- RIDE LONESOME (1959)
59-WESTERN UNION
60-THE SPOILERS (1942)
61-THE RETURN OF JESSE JAMES (1940)*
62-THE SHOOTIST (1975)*
63-THE SCALPHUNTERS (1968)*
64-BILLY TWO HATS (1974)*
65-TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARA (1970)
66-A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS*
67-A GUNFIGHT (1971)
68-THERE WAS A CROOKED MAN (1970)*
69-HANG'EM HIGH
70-NEVADA SMITH (1966)*
71-WARLOCK (1959)*
72-COWBOY (1958)
73-3:10 TO YUMA (1957)
74-THE WHITE BUFFALO (1977)*
75-THE COWBOYS (1972)*
76-JUNIOR BONNER (1972)*
77-WILL PENNY (1967)*
78-ROUGH NIGHT IN JERICHO (1967)
79-EXTREME PREJUDICE (1987)
80-DODGE CITY (1939)

* = means I own the DVD

I have no ideal if I forgot anything. If John wants comments he'll have to ask me something. Some major films I left out because I wasn't sure John would consider them Westerns. I didn't want to pull another Malone pick, like I did in the basketball section. -- Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the top 20, just write a paragraph on why they are a favorite. Sell them.

Not a full review. Just a little on why they pop you.

I'll do the same.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok …. and lets, drop the cowboy stuff until John posts his list, and talk about something really important... I saw GODZILLA VS KONG last night in a theater with six other nerds. They advertised this film as a stupid fight to the finish between the two biggest monsters in film history. I think they did come through on the fight …. but the producers did a lot better with the stupid shit. The only smart thing in the movie is Kong, who since the last terrible movie, as now gone to Princeton University. He now can talk in sign language to little girls, and is much better than Godzilla in avoiding stepping on humans.

The movie is 90% CG. My theory is they filmed the CG parts & then added the actors later on.....but I don't know if that is possible. Just about all of the human stuff is terrible and can be called shit, so I don't want to talk much about it. It's not so much the actors, but because, whoever the writer was, wrote nothing for them to say. The editing looks really bad & I think it's because they cut as much of the stupid human tricks out of the movie as they could. A great idea ...I think … but who am I to judge.

This is a better movie that the Skull Island movie and 100 times better than the 2nd American Godzilla movie, but it's still terrible ….but the fight is good. It is Kong's movie. I don't think Godzilla can carry a film by himself. Kong is a better actor. You get the CG fight that is promised. If you like CG & see nothing wrong with it, you'll probably love the movie …. if you can stand two smart ass little girls, and computer nerds being presented as intelligent human being. We all know that shit isn't true. If you think that computers have improved anything in this world, you'll find heroes in this piece of junk movie.

One of it's biggest mistakes is that it produces an origin for all the monsters. So now, everyone is force to follow their idea in the years that follow. (Well they can do pretty much what they want, like always. Nothing ever bother or stopped them over the last 70 years. The fan base accepts anything.)

I'm giving this film *1 & 1/16 stars. I really see no real reason for normal brains to be subject to viewing this mess, but the only pull the thing had....was guessing what's going to happen, and who wins. I wasn't going to reveal anything, but because, as a huge fan of the 1933 King Kong, I'm going top do spoilers. SO SPOILER ALERT IS COMMING!!!! DID YOU HEAR ME??? SPOILER ALERT!!!! Ok you had your chance.

OK....you know what's coming....The fight between Godzilla and Kong (who is never called King Kong in the movie, a bad sign) seemed to have been a 2/3 fall match. Kong blows up when Godzilla keep him under water two long, and the humans turn off the lights on all the boats, and the lizard wins the 1st fall. Kong wins the 2nd fall by KO after hitting Godzilla with Thor's hammer he found in his old house. After a minute rest period Godzilla beats the crap out of Kong. The ape runs, but the lizard slams him and Kong can't move. They make faces at each other, and within all the great acting, you can see Kong give up. Godzilla was about to kill Kong, but, he remembers he has to be a face in the next movie, and in the spirt of “not beating a giant ape while he's down”....walks away. But Kong dies anyway.

Then Godzilla fights a robot Godzilla built by the bad guy, who kicks the living hell out of Godzilla. Just drags him all over, like the little wimp, he really is. I was thinking, well we'll just have robot Godzilla movies now. The lizard is a mess. It a worst beating than he gave the ape guy. Then Kong gets CPR & returns from the dead, where he had a conversation with Hellboy over drinks, and he joins Godzills in the fight against the giant robot. After he saves the god from the mouth ripping move used against the T-Rex in 1933, together they do tag team moves on the robot. Kong also uses Antonino Rocca hi-spots in the fight. The robot then makes a comeback & takes out Godzilla. Kong battles the hunk of medal, but, locked in a lace finger lock seemed to be about to lose. Then the computer nerds in the bad guy's lab, I never told you about, is unable to pull the plug on the giant robot, spill their coke or booze on the computer board, and short curkets the Robot, and he dies …. saving the day for the two monsters. Kong then kissed Godzilla feet, and swims off to where ever he always goes at the end of bad movies. I wish he had taken the fucking little girls with him. Kong goes back to middle earth, when he can be king.

I want to blow the Godzilla origin for everyone too. The middle of earth is hollow, and that's where all the monsters came from. That's where Kong went after consulting with a Hollywood physiologist who helped him adjust to being the #2 monster, and to help him get over his bullying complex that forced him to kill fellow dinosaurs. All of this, to become the true king. True this kills his movie roles in the future, but it also keeps him away from that fucking little girl who thinks she knows everything..

Forgive me if I miss-spelled stuff in this post, I'm emotionally upset over the Kong doing a job. Very sorry.--- Steve Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 84, 85, 86  Next
Page 85 of 86

Jump to: