The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yohe's Movie Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87, 88  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need a least one other person to say there interested in my feeling about western movies picks before I write anything on my choices. Or John can ask me questions about individual picks, if he wants. Then I'll go over them one at a time. I don't want to spend time writing about something no one cares about. To explain my picks, I have to talk about myself, does anyone, in there right mind, want that.

I'm a old man, and old men think about their lives all the time.....and it's impossible to get them to shut up.---Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20. Blazing Saddles

An introductory western for people of my generation. It also was funny as hell. Does it send up and spoof elements of the western genre? Sure. If that bothers hardcores of the genre, that really isn't my problem.

19. Maverick

I loved the Maverick series which was in syndication as I grew up. Funny as hell with a twisty plot that paid tribute to the series as much as Westerns. Loved that Garner was in it, and the twist at the end. Loved Jodie Foster's role and performance that were a wonderful play on the old Samantha Crawford character that regularly went toe-to-toe with Maverick with each pulling the wool over the others eye. Rich cast of character actors around them. Just enjoyed the hell of it.

18. Once Upon a Time in the West

Henry Fonda as a cold heated evil heel. That's always been the pull. It's too long, like any number of Leone movies. Bronson is Bronson playing the Eastwood character, which is okay for what it is but not off the charts compelling. Robards is good. It's prime Claudia Cardinale and she's one of the most beautiful actresses ever. But all that matters about this movie is Heel Hank Fonda. The rest is just standard Leone Western which you can see several times over with various movies.

17. Vera Cruz

Haven't seen this in more than 25+ years, but I always enjoyed this as the Wild Bunch before there was a Wild Bunch. A bunch of seedy gunslingers hired for a job which you know isn't what it's said to be and which they will try to twist to their advantage. Fabulous cast lead by Cooper and Lancaster but loads of others you will easily recognize and know.

16. Tombstone
15. My Darling Clementine
14. Gunfight at the O.K. Corral

Tombstone is a great flawed film - more a collection of terrific scenes than then scenes that fit together to tell a great story in a perfect fashion. I'm okay with that. The scenes are great, Kilmer is off the charts, it's a good Russell performance, and it's got tasty heels that you're waiting to get gunned down at some point.

When this came out and I was digging it, Yohe said I need to see which he said was better. I did, and it was great. I'm not sure that it's better, but that not the point to me. You can enjoy both and think they're great without ripping the other. Like Tombstone it has a really deep and terrific cast. Lancaster & Douglas anchor it at the top, and they're awesome.

Wait, there's more. My Darling Clementine takes all sorts of liberties with the story of the O.K. Corral, but reality and myth have always blurred the lines and pretty much everyone was full of shit about what went down from the start. Fuck it... this is John Ford, it's a beautiful movie, don't worry about the myth and just enjoy.

13. The Outlaw Josey Wales

Haven't watched this in ages, and now would likely cringe over the Union-Traitors stuff along with the refrigeration of Eastwood's family now. But this is also a 70s western that pulled me into enjoying westerns. Over time I far preferred this over the Leone-Eastwood movies that just tried too fucking hard to be artistic and cool and shit. This was just a basic old school western, maybe a bit moderned up for the 70s.

12. Unforgiven

Westerns were pretty dead at this time, and it's a small miracle that one came out that could make a mark like this one.

Okay, that's total bullshit. There were westerns being made. A western won the Best Picture two years before Unforgiven. There were Brat Pack westerns. One of the most successful TV movies/miniseries of the prior decade was a western. They were around and not dead. They just weren't in your faces to the degree that they had been in the 50s and 60s when they dominated the television airways and packed the movie theaters. So it's just bullshit that the westerns were dead and this came along to give it life.

This just was a great movie.

11. Shane

This would be higher if someone other than Alan Ladd. It's pretty damn near perfect, and every time I see it there are different things that I pop for. I just don't care for Ladd, even if the Shane character is terrific.

10. High Noon

Cooper, Kelly, honor, duty, going it alone with no support other than his wife at the end. Terrific story and performances. Not sure what more wants from an old school western.

9. The Gunfighter

The Shootist was one of the first westerns that I saw in the theaters. I was surprised when coming across this in the 80s and realizing that a better version of the concept has been made a quarter century early. Peck is in his mid-30s already weighed down by being the fastest draw in the west and ready to move on. Wayne uses his reputation for an assisted suicide. Peck is actually trying to leave his reputation behind, can't, and in the end passes it on... which a wonderful hook. I also always liked Peck more than Duke. ;)

8. McCabe & Mrs. Miller

Altman and Beatty create an anti western that really is bleaker than the Wild Bunch or any of the famous anti-westerns. There isn't a silver lining anywhere in this. You've got prime Julie Christie, and even her aspect is bleak. If there was something you could hang your hat on as hopeful this would rate higher. But it might actually be better and more real than any of the movies on this list.

7. The Searchers

A cliche on any western list. It's a great movie both on the artistic side and the story side.

6. The Wild Bunch
5. The Professionals

The Wild Bunch was THE super cool hip western whenever you came upon it. All the cool gunplay. The cool methods of Peckinpah. The cool actors. The coolness of no one getting out alive. And on and on and on. It was fucking cool the first time I saw this at the Rialto. The thing that strikes when watching over the past twenty years is just how fucking hard Peckinpah is trying to make this big cool thing. It's like watching Paul Heyman book, where all the gears grinding along are there to see. It's trying to hard. It's still great in various ways. I love Holden, and this is another one of his terrific performances. Robert Ryan is a forgotten wonderful actor, and is great here chasing down the Bunch. There's lots of cool stuff, and if I don't think too much about Peckinpah trying too damn hard, it's still an entertaining movie with some good themes of time passing the Bunch by. But even those are heavy handed in the movie.

In contrast, The Professionals is a largely forgotten movie in that context that never seems to be trying too hard. It's simply cool. Simple story, though some twists. Great anchor leads in (largely) Lancaster along with Marvin. Wait, there's Robert Ryan again being great. Oh lord, there's Claudia Cardinale again! Old school heels in Palance and Bellamay. Quality script, artistic on the screen without hitting you over the head with anything. This movie is effortlessly COOL without even seeming to try.

Wild Bunch is a masturbatory movie, which it enjoyable enough for what it is. The Professionals is a two hours of good love making.

4. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Bogey. John Houston. Flawed desperate men. Greed. Plans going to shit. This has always hit so many check marks for me.

3. Magnificent Seven

This and The Great Escape are movies that would air every year on a weekend, my mom and I would stumble on them, and we were stuck until it finished. McQueen is cool as hell, but Yul is even cooler without trying. Great cast. Terrific heel. Great story ripped entirely off from an even better movie. It's an all-time favorite for being a Mom & Jackie movie, so it's always going to rate higher than movies that might be better.

2. Lonesome Dove

This is a six hour plus movie. It's like Chernobyl was two years ago - not an ongoing series, but a movie that television allows to be told in a longer form than you could cram into a theater. This was big, sprawling, epic. The themes of time passing the west by are dealt in this, but with more time and depth than the Wild Bunch can. Duvall and Jones are exceptional, and Diane Lane is terrific. It's as bleak in parts as the Wild Bunch, and the key deaths have vastly more impact than those in pretty much any movie on this list. Just a flat out favorite.

1. Yojimbo

There's a reason the Leone-Eastwood pairing doesn't make my list - Kurosawa-Mifune did it much, much, much better. To the point the Leone-Eastwood ripped it off for their first movie. This has the cinema photography and direction of a Ford-Hawkes-Stuges film, with the grittiness of nior, with a story and lead extremely close to Hammett's Continental-Op. If you watch this, even without seeing the movies that ripped it off, you'd know you're watching a movie dripping with western elements that have been placed in a Japanese samurai film. It's funny. It's brutal. It's shocking. Mifune is exceptional and cool as all hell. Kurosawa is Kurosawa, which is pretty much the best ever.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
I need a least one other person to say there interested in my feeling about western movies picks before I write anything on my choices. Or John can ask me questions about individual picks, if he wants. Then I'll go over them one at a time. I don't want to spend time writing about something no one cares about. To explain my picks, I have to talk about myself, does anyone, in there right mind, want that.

I'm a old man, and old men think about their lives all the time.....and it's impossible to get them to shut up.---Yohe

Write, don't write. It's your call. A list is just a list, and end's up meaningless without some "why" behind it.

I didn't go deep on each one. They may be meaningless reasons to anyone else. But it was only about 1600 words, which isn't that much compared to things I've written over the years. You wrote almost a thousand words last night on a bad movie that you'll likely forget about for the most part in a couple of weeks. How truly hard is it to write 100 words about each of the movies in your Top 20?
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomorrow. I worked on it all day. I was going to do 100 films, but there isn't that many really good western. It most likely will be 92 & I only write on 30 to 40. I find myself give out info everyone knows. So this will be over tomorrow. Maybe I should list some Samurai films.

We also never found one other person, who would admit they were interested in this. It's as bad as my wrestling history stuff. -- Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going over my Western list of Movies by Steve Yohe

In 1952 or perhaps 1953, my mother worked for my uncle at bakery in downtown Los Angeles on Broadway. I think I was 4, and she had to drag me along. Broadway in those days was the center of the big movie houses, and just about all of city went there to spent a day shopping, eating, and perhaps seeing a movie. On Broadway there was about 15 of the world's best movie houses. Most still exist in some type of shape. My mother would take me to the bakery at about 11:00. I'd play in the back of the store until after 12:00. At least that was what I seem to remember, because these were some of my first thoughts. Up until a few years ago, I spent a lot of time at the Los Angeles Main Library doing my wrestling research & I've walked around looking for stuff that matched what I remembered. I've found a old store on South Broadway that seems to be the spot.

So I'd hang around at the bakery, and at 12:00, my mother would take me to one of the big movie palaces. I think the Orpheum Theater was the main one, but there were other on the East side of the street. I think the Tower Theater was another. My mother told the manager I was there, and he would babysit me all day. I don't remember ever seeing the guy when she wasn't around. What movie was playing really didn't matter. I was told to sit in my chair and watch whatever was playing. I must have seen most of the films of the day, but I remember very few. I would be there all day, and there were always two movie and other newsreels & stuff.

I've talked about the night I saw KING KONG at the United Artists Theater, it was the first movie I was crazy about. I've posted about that in the past, and I'm not going over it. It started my love for movies.

There were at lot of films during those days, that I didn't care for. I got stunk with some adult dramas & movies with kissing & stuff like that. I didn't like those films. I liked action films & horror films. Kid stuff. Today, watching TCM on TV, I recognize a film, once in a while, that I saw during those years. I don't know how long a period I spent on Broadway, it wasn't a great time for me …. and I started school at some point.

We had two theaters in Montebello, where I grew up. The major one was the Garmar Theater on Wittier Blvd. It was big and it was a “A” class theater, where major films and Walt Disney movies played. It was a family place. Films were booked for three weeks there. On Saturdays afternoon they had special matinees, and I went to many of those, for the horror films & monster movie. I must have seen all the Disney film, but I only know that, because I remember all of them. They never meant much to me. I don't like cartoons. My favorite film there was THE 7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD. I was always crazy for “stop focus motion” movies.

The other theater in Montebello was the Vogue Theater. It played all kinds of movies & was smaller. Movies only played one week there. It was the B theater. Today it is a nail place for women & looks really small.

For some reason, I change in 1962. It was a period I became interested in sports, wrestling, and a lot of other things. Hard to say why. Maybe because I was 6' 3”. I began to think of thing as art. And my interest in movies changed. I wanted to learn more about them & figure out way some were considered better that others. Wanted to understand their history, and how they were made. I started going to adult minded films & stuff just to learn. I s walk to the Vogue at night to watch stuff. Watched a lot of different films, not just the kid stuff. With time I started reading reviews & film papers. & books.

It was about that time that Burt Lancaster, followed by Kurt Douglas, became my favorite actor, and I really started liking westerns. Not B movie westerns, but major adult westerns.

After High School I ended up in the Army, and resulted in Viet Nam. All kids of the 1950's knew they were going to be drafted, and go to war & maybe get killed. It was part of growing up. In 1968, I got very sick in Nam. I had never ever been sick & rarely was after. I spent a month in Chu Chi Hospital during May, then was moved to Saigon fortwo weeks, and then to Tokyo Japan for 2 ½ weeks for surgery for a abcess on my back, then returned to Nam. In nam I watched movie played on a billboard, sitting on bleachers. In Japan, Fugi Hospital, there was a movie theater. I would go to the movies very night. They cost 35 cents, there was nothing to do, and I went every night. I saw SOUND OF MUSIC like 5 nights in a row. There were others. I really enjoyed watching films & figuring out way they worked and why they didn't. Even liked watching bad movies. I should say I didn't like watching TV shows, so a lot of TV culture & history...I don't know or care about. TV was for wrestling & sport & talk shows.

Where ever I was sationed I went to the movies. And after I would go two or three times a week if I could find something I liked. And If I liked something, I'd watch it over & over. In the Army, I'd go to 5 movies a day. In collage I took film classes, when I wasn't playing basketball. I should tell you I was in the Army twice.

So that it. This paper is about my favorite westerns, so I had to talk about myself, so that shit is over...and I go to the list:

STEVE YOHE”S FAVORITE WESTERNS

1-SHANE* (1953)
All westerns are about morality, ethics, loyalty, or about a hero who overcome things to help someone other than themselves. Right the wrongs done to other people. They are morality plays. At least the good ones. The hero isn't always a nice guy. Revenge plays a part in many of them, but at the end the subject realizes that it isn't a good thing. SHANE is filled with that. The lead character is a hired killer gun man, who is running away from that to become something else, but has to go back to his old ways to help save a family in danger from a another gunman, who is more like Shane...that the family. It was directed by George Stevens and it was a major prestige film in 1953, but was filmed in 1951 because it took two years to edit. Has two of the greatest gun fights in film history & a major fight scene. The gunning down of Elisha Cook Jr in mud by Jack Palance is one of the coolest moments in film. The build-up to the final showdown is unforgettable & the gun fight's timing is perfect. The fucking dog should have gotten a Oscar. Allen Ladd is perfect in a role written for Montgomery Cliff. It's a perfect film. First time I saw it was in Missouri with a bunch of hippy GIs at a drive-in that showed like 8 movies that night. One had Jane Fonda in BARBARELLA. SHANE was #4 on the night. It was a surprise, but I had know it's reputation. It saved the night, and everytime I see the movie it gets better. Perfect. One of the most remade movies in Hollywood history, but never as good.

2-THE WILD BUNCH*(1969)
This was never a Hollywood film with Stars being cool. It has a real feeling thru out and even the killing seemed real. It's the end of the west, and outlaws go down to their deaths to show loyalty to their partner. They were a lost cause, but a least they ended with some western class. The blood effects in this film was shocking at the time. Broke all the rules. I loved the film. I saw it at a Army theater. Blew everyone's mind. A masterpiece of violence, but it's more that. Lee Marvin had the Holden part, but gave it up to star with Clint Eastwood in PAINT YOUR WAGON for more money.

3-THE PROFESSIONALS*(1966)
Next to KING KONG, I've probably watched this movie more than any other film. I have to force myself not to watch it. Burt Lancaster & Lee Marvin's best movie. The two didn't get along during the making because of Lee's drinking & Marvin's line “....you made your deal with me”, was actually made in real life to Marvin by Lancaster. Lancaster's stand against Jack Palance and the bad Mexicans is great. In 1966, this Richard Brooks project was a big well respected hit, but today it sees kind of forgotten. It could have been my #1 on another day.

4-THE SEARCHERS (1956)*
This is John Fords & John Wayne's best movie. Powerful film about love of family over racist bias. Epic in every way. Wayne plays one of film's greatest loners.

5-THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY* (1966)
In 1967, I had left basic training in Northern California, for AIT in Missouri, a place I hated more than anywhere. More than VN. It was like living in the DELIVERANCE movie. I got to Fort Wood in Missouri on a weekend & there was very few people around. In Basic, you could leave the small area (haft a block maybe) around the barracks. They locked you in to brainwash you & rebuild you into a army asshole. So it was very strange being free to move around & it was in a forest. They told me I could go to a small PX, where dumbass sat around drinking 3.2 beer. So walked over there & looked around. Out the back door I looked out over a green valley. At bottom was a big gym and a modern movie house. I didn't know if I could go down there, but I thought fuck that shit & went. I had no shoes for the gym, but I had 35 cents for the movie. The movie playing was THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY. The grunt audience, which filled the building, just went nuts for the film. It was an unbelievable experience. They just reacted to every little thing that happened on the screen. Army audience are just the best. I loved the movie, and for years I thought Clint Eastwood was my favorite actor (it changed all the time). It was really a terrible time for me, and that film was a bright spot for me. I was in a fucking pit & my next stop was VN & death. I didn't think my life had much to look forward to.

6-HOMBRE (1967)*
I saw this in the Japanese hospital. They showed it on the ward and a few other places. I loved the movie & the line; “ask her if she'll eat dog now”. Paul Newman plays a white guy who was raised by Indians. He inhireds a hotel run by a woman. He doesn't like it & he sells it, so he can go home to his real people. The two end up on a stagecoach, that gets robbed by Richard Boone. I think it's a great film.

7-THE GUN FIGHT AT THE OK CORRAL (1957)*
This was a big budget A film, but it stands out because Burt Lancaster & Kurt Douglas playing Wyatt Earp & Doc Holliday.. I was a mark for those two, & still are ….. and anything about the O. K. I eat up …. and this is the best. Really this is a standard Hollywood type western, but done better than anyother, with the perfect stars for the part. Douglas is over the top, and Lancaster uses restrained acting. Both are physical actors. Almost like silent actors. They project their acting, like Jim Londos sold in a wrestling ring. As stars, seeing them together is special, like Fred Blassie wrestling The Destroyer at The Olympic. But this is a Hollywood movie, they don't care about telling history. From the beginning, with Douglas throwing knifes at this hotel door, until the shoot out, the has a tension that builds that only stops with dead bodies laying all over Tombstone. They do that using music, much like HIGH NOON. In 1995, I got Mono and layed around in my appartment for two weeks sicker than my dog has ever been in his life. The only thing that made me feel normal was watching his movie. The director was John Sturges who may have been the best at making these movies.

8-THE BIG COUNTRY* (1958)
This was a William Wyler (BEN HUR) movie and he was as powerful as anyone in Hollywood. He saw something he didn't like in the Peck/Heston fight, and redited the movie, after it was in the theater. He was big, and this movie is big. Everything about this film is BIG. The only thing bigger than this country is the Pacific Ocean. So this was a prestige film that played major theaters for months. Gregory Peck (one of the most respected actors in film history) plays a retired rich ship captain from New England, who comes to the West (Texas ?) to marry his trophy wife (Carroll Baker) but ends up involved in a blood feud between two rich powerful old men …. and ends up marrying Jean Simmons (who is my favorite actress of all time). I've paterned my whole life on Peck's character in this movie. He is everything a man should be. There is something in this film that is very important to me. Did I tell you it was BIG?

9-THE YEARLING (1946)
A family living with a boy's pet deer. One of film history's masterpieces. I saw when I was very young. Maybe one of the Broadway films. It haunted me for years. Used to be on TV in Black & white. One of best filmed movies. The cinematographer, Charles Rosher was the first of his king to recive an Oscar (SUNRISE 1927). Movie that made Greg Peck a star. Claude Jarman Jr may have been the best child actor of all time. But Jane Wyman steals the movie. Clarence Brown is one of least known of the great directors.

10-THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS (1992)*
This was the first DVD I brought when I got a VCR. The fact that Daniel Day-Lewis could turn this into something special reinforced the idea he was out times best actor. I fell in love with Madeleine Stowe. Director was Michael Mann at his best.

11-RED RIVER* (1948)
MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY …. on the prairie. I was this in late night TV, but also attended a showing at the Western Museum in Griffin park, which played because it was kind of historically correct. It changed John Wayne's reputation as an actor. I thing Wayne's bad guy parts were his best. Montgomery Clift became a major star from this. Howard Hawks' first western.

12 -BUTCH CASSIDY & THE SUNDANCE KID* (1969)
Paul Newman & Robert Redford in a huge hit. Watched the DVD a few months age & was impressed with it. A perfect film & what they were doing was hard.

13-UNFORGIVEN (1992)*
Clint Eastwood's greatest western. Succeeds on many levels. I probably should have moved this up a couple of places.

14 -FORT APACHE (1948)*
Henry Fonda was John Ford's big star before Wayne. I love Fonda in this, playing a version og Custer. Wayne is very good & restrained backing him. I think it's a great movie. Watch it a lot.

15-WINCHESTER 73 (1950)*
Best of the Jimmy Steward wresterns. Another perfect film. This was the 2nd movie the night I first saw KING KONG for the first time. Steward really is one of the great cowboy stars, & made a bunch of very good ones with Anthony Mann in the 1950's. Dan Duryea is one of the greatest character actor. Steals everything.

16-BLOOD ON THE MOON (1948)
This is the Robert Mitchum movie I just found this year on TCM. Read the review I wrote. Watched four or five times in wonderful 2021.

17-PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID (DIRECTORS CUT)* (1973)
The theatrics version of this was terrible, but the directors cut of this Sam Pechinpal's blows away most (98%) westerns. I didn't know Kris Kristofferson could act until this. He actually was a very good pick to play Billy The Kid, who liked to sing & dance and was popular with Mexicans. I don't think Billy was a criminal. AS least in the books I've read. Great part for Slim Pickens, one of the best western actors. Music is great. James Coburn best role. I think the killing of Billy could have been done better, but it's a fantastic movie.

18-3 GODFATHERS* (1948)
I hate the desert and I've got nothing good to say about babys, so I came to this really late in life. But it's really a great film. John Ford films the desert as well as anyone. Before making LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, David Lean studied the cinematography of this movie to get the desert right. The baby doesn't show up until half way thru the movie, & their is a lot of action. The film is wonderful. Worthy of being in the top 20.

19-THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD* (2007)
Has been called the best western of are time, which I agree on. Brad Pitt & Casey Affleck are both great. My favorite actor of today, Brad Pitt, lost millions making it, but also calls it his favorite film. It was in theaters for two weeks, and then disappeared. I live to see it in a theater.

20-THE BIG TRAIL (1930)*
In 1930, when Hollywood was learning how to make sound movie this was made in 70mm. It uses the process as well or better than anything made in the next 90 years. John Wayne's first film. Seeing this movie the first time blew my mind.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

21- 7 MEN FROM HOW* (1956)
Late in Randolph Scott's career, he started making adult type westerns with Budd Boetticher, and of them were good. To me, I can't tell one from another. I remember them by the villain in each. This was the first and the best. Some people think it's the best B movie of all time. I liked it a lot. The major bad guy is Lee Marvin, who has a gunfight with Scott at the end. Marvin, years from being a A level star & Oscar winning, steals the movie, but I consider Scott to be the 2nd best western star in history. In Boetticher films he is always a dark guy, looking for revenge, usually because someone killed his wife. I wanted this in my top 20, but it got moved down by THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS.

22-MY DARLING CLEMENTINE (1946)*
Another gunfight at the OK Corral movie, this time with Henry Fonda as Wyatt Earp, and John Ford. Love the movie for the little things like Fonda rocking in a chair, and Wyatt Earp dancing with Doc's girl friend. Love this film & can't stop watching it.

23-HIGH NOON (1952)*
This was a movie I saw at 4 years old, on Broadway. I liked it then and I do now. I knocked it down some because after being such a fucking loner Gary Cooper is saved by his wife (Grace Kelly), and the big evil villain, we are so afraid of for the whole movie, lets Coop's wife loose so he can get a clean fight, and then Grace interferes, like Jim Cornett, and Coop kills the poor guy....without the fair fight. Doesn't work for me. Still it's a great film. In my collage film class, HIGH NOON was studied for it's use of time, music, and creating tension as it built to the finish. THE GUN FIGHT AT THE OK CORRAL used some of the same tricks.

24-THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN (1960)*
Everyone loves this movie. You know Steve McQueen and Yul Brynner, and a al-star group of Hollywood's best action supporting stars stealing scenes from each other. Also has one of the best music scores & director John Sturges. I graded it down because the last gunfight seems like everyone is taking turns getting killed. It's not as good as the first fight which was thrilling. Everyone for years as told me that Steve McQueen was my favorite actor. It's been going so long I now believe it. Really he was just the best, and every action star who followed are coping him.

25- THE REVENANT*
Filmed great in 70mm and with a major director..... it's too realistic to be fun to watch over & over. I have to stop now or I'll be telling you my story about wrestling Victor the Bear.....it was a draw.

26-ULZANA'S RAID (1972)*
Burt Lancaster and his son like Indian scout (Jorge Luke) fighting more bad Indians. The LA Times, the week it came out, said it was the “greatest western of all time” …. it isn't but it's one of Lancaster best roles.

26-TOMBSTONE*
More gunfight at the corral stuff. Really good acting.

28-THE OX-BOW INCIDENT (1942)*
Great Henry Fonda movie about lynching the wrong people. Great movie. Great cast.

29-STAGECOACH (1939)*
John Wayne's first John Ford movie, that made him a star. I think I saw this at 4 years old in Los Angeles.

30-TRUE GRIT (2010)*
I put this about the 1969 version because the final fight on horses is edited better. Like both a lot.

31-OPEN RANGE (2003)*
One of the best of our time. I'm a fan of Kevin Coster & the movie.

32-TRUE GRIT (1969)*
Wayne won the Oscar & desirved it. It's has better dialog than the 2010 version. Like both.

33-THE KENTUCKIAN (1955)*
Burt Lancaster and young son fight bad guy Walter Mattau. Has a really good gunfight at the end. I liked it as a kid. Reminded me of THE YEARLING, but not as good.

34-THE STALKING MOON (1968)*
A retirering Army scout, Greg Peck, saved a white woman & her Indian son after years of living with Indians. Peck, doesn't want to, but helps her. She doesn't know the white world & is lost..... so Peck takes her back to his ranch, which is 500 miles away. He is staked by a legendary father, who is the meanest, killingest, monster Indian in the history of movie movies. He wants his son back, and kills everything in his way. It's kind of a horror story set in the west. They meet up at the ranch and he & the Father fight to the death. I loved it.

35-THE BIG SKY (1952)
Young Kurt Douglas in a great performance fights Indians going up a river in a boat. Director was Howard Hawks. Very good movie.

36-HELL OR HIGH WATER (2016)*

37-RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY (1962)*
A Sam Peckinpah classic from before THE WILD BUNCH, staring Joel McCrea & Randolph Scott in their last movies.

38-HEAVEN'S GATE (1980)(Directors Cut)
One of the biggest bombs in history but the first haft is super great, and very underrated. Epic film, that falls apart at the end. Worth being on this list.

39-TOM HORN (1980)*
Steve McQueen's last Western.

40-APPALOOSA (2008)
Viggo Mortensen & Ed Harris fight Jeremy Irons over Rennee Zellweger.

41-WILD BILL (1995)*

42-THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE (1948)*

43-FOR A FEW DOLLARDS MORE*

44-ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST*

45-THE LONG RIDERS (1980)*

46-SILVERADO (1985)*

47-THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE*

48-SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON (1949)*
Wayne riding horses. Love it.

49-ONE-EYE JACKS (1961)*
Very good Marlon Brando western with him acting & directing. Looked like it could be great, but it was cut & destroyed by the studio. Would kill to see a director's cut.

50-JESSE JAMES (1939)*

51-VERA CRUZ (1954)*

52-BEND OF THE RIVER (1952)

53-THE GUNFIGHTER (1950)

54-THE FAR COUNTRY (1954)

55-DESTRY RIDES AGAIN (1939)

56-THE MAN FROM LARAMIE (1954)

57-COMANCHE STATION (1960)

58- RIDE LONESOME (1959)

59-WESTERN UNION

60-THE SPOILERS (1942)

61-THE RETURN OF JESSE JAMES (1940)*

62-THE SHOOTIST (1975)*

63-THE SCALPHUNTERS (1968)*

64-BILLY TWO HATS (1974)*

65-TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARA (1970)

66-A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS*

67-A GUNFIGHT (1971)
Kurt Douglas & Johnny Cash, two famous aging gunfighters, fight to the finish in a bullring with spectators for the money.

68-THERE WAS A CROOKED MAN (1970)*

69-HANG'EM HIGH

70-NEVADA SMITH (1966)*

71-WARLOCK (1959)*

72-COWBOY (1958)

73-3:10 TO YUMA (1957)

74-THE WHITE BUFFALO (1977)*

75-THE COWBOYS (1972)*

76-JUNIOR BONNER (1972)*

77-WILL PENNY (1967)*

78-ROUGH NIGHT IN JERICHO (1967)

79-EXTREME PREJUDICE (1987)

80-DODGE CITY (1939)

-----=-------add ons -------------------------------------------------------------------

82 – DAVY CROCKETT: KING OF THE WILD FRONTIER (1955)
This was a three part TV show that was turned into a movie. Even with everyone in the world watching the TV show, the movie made over a million dollars. The popularity ranks with Hopalong Cassidy, Elvis and The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show. I was into Davy Crockett. I had the coonskin cap, a buckskin shirt my mother made for me at Christmas, the comic book, and I watched the TV show over and over. I think the idealism of Indian fighter Fess Parker saving the Indians from Andrew Jackson resulted in the peace anti-war movement of the 1960's game. Those kids watching Davy Crockett in the 50's, became the rebels who fought the Viet Nam War. I know at least one of them.

83- MCCABE & MRS MILLER (1971)
John was right. If I had remember this two days ago, it would have been higher.

84 – THE APPALOOSA (1966)
Good Marlon Brando fighting Mexicans bad guys to get his horse back.

85 – SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF

86 – SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GUNFIGHTER

87 -LITTLE BIG MAN (1970)
A retelling of the West by director Arthur Penn starting Dustin Hoffman & Faye Dunaway.

88--JERAMIAH JOHNSON (1972)

89--ROCKY MOUNTAIN (1950)
Error Flynn fights the Civil War and Indians on a mountain to a finish.

90—HONDO (1953)

91- DANCE WITH WOLVES (1990)

92-VIRGINA CITY (1940)

93 – MISSOUI BREAKS (1976)

94- THE LAST SUNSET (1961)
Kirk Douglas, Rock Hudson, and incest with Carol Lynley.

94-BARBAROSA (1982)

95 – 5 CARD STUD (1968)

96 – OLD YELLER (1957)
Boy gets dog …. dog is killed.

97-- A BIG HAND FOR THE LITTLE LADY (1966)

98- THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES (1976)
Liked only parts of this. Better than most of Eastwoods stuff.

99- BITE THE BULLET (1975)
Gene Hackman's big western, directed by Richard Brooks.

100- THE WAY OF THE GUN (2000)
May be considered a cheat, because it takes place in modern times, but John had a samurai movie #1, and this film may have a shoot out ending, that rivals any film's including THE WILD BUNCH. Also the leads Benicio Del Toro & Ryan Phillippe have the names Parker and Longbaugh, the real names of Butch Cassity & The Sundance Kid. The gunfight at the end was filmed on the location of the BUTCH CASSIDY & THE SUNDANCE KID ending. Anyway it's a film I really like, and it has all the elements of a great western.

Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#81 got left out.--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Oscars are Sunday. I've only seen two of the movies nominated. I just don't care. MANK is the only movie worth anything.

I wouldn't be surprise if this happens:

Chadwick Boseman for best actor because he's dead.

Viola Davis for Best actress. She is black & a known great actress.

Chlae Zhao for Best director just because.

Leslie Odom Jr for Supporting actor

Amanda Seyfried for Supporting actress because Mank needs to win something. Probably need one white person to win.

Best picture is MANK. Is really just my pick. It would be a huge upset .... but after giving BS picks all night, they'll actually give Best pitcher to the best picture. I'm hoping anyway.

I'm going to watch, but who cares this year. --- Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEWS OF THE WORLD is a period piece based in Texas right after the Civil War. It is a serious drama showing how everyone was affected following the war & the hard ships everyone had to go through. It was hard times for everyone, Towns people, farmers, gunmen, Indians, solders, and even the bad guys have been changed by the war. This storyline really doesn't show itself until about 80% into the movie.

I'm always misusing the word "great", so I'm just going to say the film was wonderful. It's is a western, but it's also a major movie worthy of Tom Hanks. The little girl, Helena Zengel, is just perfect. I think she'll be a major star as she grows.

Movie seems to have a whole new collection of western character actors. Elizabeth Marel the 40 year old one armed Mattie Ross in TRUE GRIT has a part that stands out. The movie is a a complete film & wonderful, with a great ending. Paced like a real movie. ***7/8.

The only thing I'd say negative about the film is that it doesn't look like Texas. Central Texas, around San Antonio, is green & it rains a lot. I think the director wanted Texas to be a dust bowl waisted place to resemble hell. Hope John sees this movie. It would have been in my 100 Western List & one of the best films in 2020. ---- Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Steve... at the end of this right after they flash the date where Guardians 3 is released, there's a certain symbol that appears to be another movie planned that doesn't have a release date:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdpxoFcdORI

Uh... that symbol looks kind of familiar. Any idea?
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah..... It's The Fantastic Four.--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Yeah..... It's The Fantastic Four.--Yohe

:)
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...so what does :) mean? --- Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a smile. I'm happy that the MCU is going to do a Fantastic 4 movie.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There going to have to wait a while, so everyone can forget the last one.--Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87, 88  Next
Page 86 of 88

Jump to: