The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yohe's Movie Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 77, 78, 79  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen TERMINATOR SALVATION, STAR TREK and ANGELS & DEMONS twice. Loved TERMINATOR 4 (****1/6) and STAR TREK (****) was wonderful. Strange l'd swear that Chekov and Kyle Reece were the same guy.

Liked ANGELS & DEMONS but it lost something the second time. Big holes in the plot. ***1/4 Much better than the first one...way better.

Saw THE HANGOVER last night. Very funny adult gross out movie with good acting and is kind of smart. Liked it a lot but the major jokes are in the trailer. I think it will make a ton of money. The fat guy steals the movie. Plays an innocent pervert. Very likeable film. ***3/4

Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Saw THE HANGOVER last night. Very funny adult gross out movie with good acting and is kind of smart. Liked it a lot but the major jokes are in the trailer. I think it will make a ton of money. The fat guy steals the movie. Plays an innocent pervert. Very likeable film. ***3/4

Funny as shit movie.

Played like it was a "plotted" movie rather than a "gag" movie. Most of these movies feel like the writer came up with 5 Big Gags as a starting point, then came up with some more gags, then started writing the structure around it. This one felt like it was plotted first, then the gags were written into it. A lot of A-B-C-D progression, and at some point around K they're playing back off something at C. The Tiger, for example, has a point beyond just being in the bathroom while the Fat Guy is taking a piss. Good payoff there, several of them in fact.

Not saying that's how it was originally written, just that it plays that way. For a Guys Doing Stupid Shit Movie, it feels pretty smartly put together, even if the comedy level isn't highbrow.

Lots of archtypes and basic structure. If these were kids, you've got the Cool Kid Best Friend, the Nerd Friend and the Fat Kid who also plays the Wacky Kid. Hooker With A Heart Of Gold. Quest.

There's plenty of predictable stuff, like the Nerd, his Pain In The Ass Fiance, and the Hooker With A Heart Of Gold. You pretty much knew where that would go.

But some nice twists that even if you can see through one layer (and pretty much are suppose to) they have a second layer that pays off in some laughs or to progress the plot along.

I liked it a good deal. Haven't laughed as consistently and as long during a movie in a long time.

Some other thoughts:

Big crowd for a Wed at 8:40 PM after opening weekend. There weren't open pockets of seats. I was in the back with an empty on either side of me, but pretty much the rest of the entire row was packed. And that's the way it was through the theater - singleton empty seats here and there, but by the time the movie started you'd be hard pressed to find two open seats next to each other.

This is a Guy Movie. Hard to see it any other way. The woman who comes across best if the Hooker With A Heart Of Gold, and it's not any kind of great role for Heather Graham. The Pain In The Ass Fiance is pretty much a shit character: she's just there to be a bitch that the Nerd can tell to fuck off in the end. The psych of what she taps into with guys isn't hard to figure out if you want to think two seconds about it, and it's cringe worthy. The Bride is put upon, and totally accepting in the end when the Groom makes his apology. The Cool Kid's wife and kid show up, and you kind of scratch your head after watching what a general fuck he's been.

So you would think it's a massive Guy Crowd, and that it might not play with Girls/Women.

The crowd was probably 60% girls/women, almost all of them in the 18-25 age range, give or take a few years in either direction since in my old age I'm getting worse at being able to tell. You'd have lots of couples, and then some blocks of 4-6 girls, or one guy and three girls in a group.

And they were laughing their asses off. I had one on each side, and they were laughing as much as I was. The condom gag, for example, had them in stitches.

It's a big like SuperBad was. Guy movie, with Guys Doing Stupid Crude Stuff. And I'm pretty amazed by the amount of women in the crowd, and how it played with them.

When I was in college, this is something that the guys would have gone to. Not a date film at all.

Times have changed in 20+ years. :)

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123 is good and a great job of directing by Tony Scott. Every second has your attention. The acting is riveting and its the best thing Travolta has done in years. When you want to prove Travolta as a actor this will be a film mentioned. Washington gets more out of the part that he should have. So I like it.

(MAJOR SPOILER)....But I don't get the ending. For all of those who have seen the film...I ask....Does Travolta win at the end? The stock market thing & him turning out to be something more that he seemed....seems to have just been left hanging. Does the money go to his wife or kid or something? I missed that? The ending needed that...it seems flat without some turn at the end. Other than that, Travolta seems all heel. I think he was going to kill Washington without a problem. Seemed like a evil fuck.

Gandolfini as mayor was great. Didn't really want to be mayor anymore or ride on the subway and play games but when someone asked if it was worth cheating on his wife...he answers YES! Cool in my book. He also ends up figurering out what Ryder in really doing...but nothing happens from it. Interesting.

Really a well made movie in a lot of ways. Tony Scott is major. ***1/2--Steve Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange...I've liked a lot of movies this summer.--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: $7 DVD Reply with quote

I was at the video store a few weeks ago and bought a bunch of DVDs on sale for $7. They weren't films I was in any hurry to watch but figured the price was right and they were movies I would someday want in my collection. So I got DR STRANGELOVE OR HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE THE BOMB for $7.

I remember when the film first came out in 1963, and remember Slim Pickens on the tonight show taking and showing clips to Johnny Carson. It was a huge hit and really shook people up back then, but I didn't see it until later. I think I watched it once around 1970 in a Army theater but it didn't really leave much of an impression and I've watched large parts of it many times on TV.

Watching the DVD I was blown away. Just great and still holds up. Love watching Stanley Kubrick. It also has a good "making of" section that is very good. It's a good DVD to have.

Younger guys can't realize how hip Pepper Sellers was in the late 60's he was just cool as shit.

Kubrick was cool too. He want George C. Scott to play one of the crazy generals in the movie but some felted he would be too much for Kubrick to handle. He was a ex marine and a drunk who thought he was a genius. So Kubrick brought a chest board to the set. Scott thought he was a great player so he goateed Stanley into playing him...not knowing that Kubrick was a master. Scott would take two hours to make a move and the director would walk over & move without even seeming to think. He destroyed Scott over and over like he was nothing. So made Scott respect Kubrick and did everything he was told....for the most part.

Being a military type guy, Scott had his own idea of how to play the part & it didn't match Kubrick's. So Stanley told him that George could do his scene's two ways, dramatic (George's way) and way over the top. When the film was shown, everything used in the movie is the "over the top" stuff. Everyone thought Scott was great but Scott. He bitched and complained "THAT"S NOT MY PERFORMANCE".

I used to think Scott was a great actor and I was a fan. As he became a bigger star and have more control, the worst he became. At the end, he was a joke as an actor and a director. He even hated PATTON. I did want to jump his wife.

So the DR STRANGELOVE OR HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE THE BOMB DVD is something everyone should have...at least if it cost $7.----Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: THE STALKING MOON Reply with quote

Also brought a Gregory Peck package to get THE STALKING MOON. Its a movie I've never hear anything good about but I think it's a great western and a good Peck film. (I've become a big Gregory Peck fan in my old age.) Great build up to a shoot out with a monster Indian who kills everyone to get to his wife and son. Love everything about it.

In watching the DVD of THE FRENCH CONNECTION, it seemed to have dated. I remember how big it was and loved it at the time but its been done a million times sense and done better. Now it seems over rated. It won the Oscar too.----Yohe
chadlaca

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really care that much for the remake of "Pelham." Part of that is the baggage of being a fan of the original, which I think is a helluva lot more fun.

This one was perfectly competent. Not a "bad" movie per se. But I found it instantly forgettable. I like Denzel but I'll take Matthau's rumpled, sarcastic cop over Denzel's put upon, sincere MTA guy any day.

And I really split with Steve on Travolta's performance. Thought he yelled and screamed "motherfucker!" waaay too much. It was ... screechy.

I also thought the characters on the train, both the passengers and the other hijackers were better delineated and just more fun in the first one. Luis Guzman is pretty much wasted in the Martin Balsam role here and I missed Hector Elizondo's legitimately creepy hijacker.

The first one also has an absolutely great ending. This one? Not so much.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE PROPOSAL is terrible. Can't stand Ryan Reynolds....James Holbeck can act better and rebound. Sucked. Nothing good about it. Bad chick flick. Seeing Bullock in the nude is the whole show.

I know about SPEED, but what made Sandra Bullock a star. Can't remember any of her movies.....other that he drove a bus.

Don't let your chick talk you into this one. *1/2---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE INFORMANT is the best film I've seen this year. Every second is funny and it just builds to crazy finish. Matt Damon may get the Oscar. Can't think of another film like it. The only other movie I've seen this year worth a nomination is UP.****1/4

Well JULIE & JULIA was a good movie & it will get nominations. Maybe a another Oscar for Streep. *** 3/4--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, THE INFORMANT is a major important film with a serious message, so it will bomb. The place was empty last night.

DISTRICT 9 was interesting. ***1/2

9 was OK but nothing special.***

WHITEOUT wasn't as bad as the reviews made it out to be. Bad but there was an idea there and they tried. Still bad.**

I walked out on THE HURT LOCKER because the hand held camera shots made me sick. Really sick like being sick in a car or boat. It seemed to be a good movie. Probably be able to watch it on TV later. The reality shots using hand helds I can do without.

G.I. Joe was terrible. Comic book crap. *3/4

INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS I loved even the second time watching it. Did everyone notice Rod Taylor? *** 3/4
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Inglourious Basterds was a great flick. Whoever played SS Officer Landa should get an Oscar.
chadlaca

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw "The Informant!" tonight and really liked it. Very funny and it'll be a shame if it doesn't find an audience (opening weekend returns didn't look so hot).

Actually went to the premiere of "Whiteout" and even with the added benefit of free booze and a potential Kate Beckinsale sighting, thought it was absolutely wretched. It's the kind of movie where you walk out just shaking your head and wondering how the fuck it ever got a greenlight. I literally can't come up with one good reason for the studio to have moved forward with it. The story just isn't very interesting. Most of the big plot twists and reveals as the film moves along are met with a shrug. Doesn't help that the two male leads feel pretty much interchangeable. Bleh.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every film you might called adult put out this summer bombed.

I think Whiteout got made because it was a comic book. They now think every comic book will make money. The location, South Pole, seemed to be the main hook. (Well Kate Beckinsale taking a shower was the other.) I went hoping for another THE THING (either version). Had a lot of bad CG. The opening 10 minute looked like a cartoon.

I've paid to see Kate Beckinsale in just about all her movies and I can't remember a good one. Hope she becomes an actress some day. I do like watching her.--Yohe
chadlaca

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That shower scene cracked me up. Just a completely superfluous "Hey, Kate's gonna be in a parka the rest of the movie so let's all take a second to remember that she's hot!" :)

*editor's note: she IS hot*
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched STAR TREK last night while at the hotel after the press awards dinner. Cost me $14. Worth every penny. Loved how they came up with a storyline with twists that are truly fun and work well in the context of it. Plus I loved the continuity they kept with the earlier movies, so it truly came off as a "prequel." George Lucas wishes he could pull that stuff off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 77, 78, 79  Next
Page 3 of 79

Jump to: