The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yohe's Movie Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 83, 84, 85  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: WHATEVER WORKS Reply with quote

It didn't get showed in local movie houses, so I bought the DVD of WHATEVER WORKS tonight & played it at my house. I think it's the best Woody Allen movie in 15 years. Larry David is a meaner version of Woody. I only saw 3 movies this year worthy of a Nomination and with ten spots open you would think there was room for this film. Liked it a lot. ****--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my Lewis book with the publisher, I can now waste my time posting about movies again:

It may be immoral and raking with the most violent films of all time, but I loved KICK-ASS. I've seen it twice and it will remain one of my favorite films of all time. It is so outragous that you can help laughing about after you leave the theatre. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll stop. I took my wife thinking it was a harmless kids movie, and could believe want I was watching. I thought she would hate it, like she does all violent films, but we been talking about it ever sence. I had to go back & watch it again & I still loved it. **** John please walk across the street & look at this. It kicks-ass. I want the DVD.

THE LOSERS--An action comic book movie that I liked. The actors were cool & the action pretty good. The black chick steals another movie.***1/2

GREEN ZONE--Good movie with everything working well. My theory is that these war movie don't draw at the boxoffice because no one wants to see a movie about Iraq. Who cares about Iraq? Its a stupid country with people who sweat and need shaves. Its a fucking desert. People would rather watch James Bond or Bourne playing cards and jumping chicks, than fighting guys from Iraq. I like this movie, but it died. ***1/4

THE GHOST WRITER--In a lot of ways, this is a great movie but it might be too sofiticated for some. The heel of the story is the CIA and the Primeminister of England, so I can see why Polanski got jailed while making it. As good as an Hitchcock film, but I'm not sure about the ending. ****

HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON--Good 3D animation film Works. ***1/2

SHUTTLER ISLAND--Thru most of it I thought it was going to be great but it become a different movie than the one you paid to see. All the twists may have hurt it but it also may be a great film. Major either way. Worthy of Scorsese. ****

BROOKLYN'S FINEST--OK but I can't remember much a few months after. Think it was **3/4.

CLASH OF THE TITANS--I was hot on this movie because I'm a fan of stop motion effects & the old film was well know years ago. You watch the old one today and it looks real bad, but I wanted to see what they would do with it today. The night it opened, I thought it was OK, good it a lot of ways. Maybe ***1/4. Liked the god shit and the actors. I wanted to compare that with the 3D version, so I went back. The 3D effect were a total waste. For the last 30 mins you could take off the glasses & not see any difference.

SHERLOCK HOLMES--Didn't like it. Wasn't a Sherlock Holmes movie. **1/4

THE WOLFMAN--Very disappointed. Just a wolfman movie. **1/2

I got THE GOOD THIEF with Nick Nolte on DVD for $4. Always liked it but on DVD its easier to understand & now I think it's great. One of the best caper movies. ****1/4

Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
It may be immoral and raking with the most violent films of all time, but I loved KICK-ASS. I've seen it twice and it will remain one of my favorite films of all time. It is so outragous that you can help laughing about after you leave the theatre. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll stop. I took my wife thinking it was a harmless kids movie, and could believe want I was watching. I thought she would hate it, like she does all violent films, but we been talking about it ever sence. I had to go back & watch it again & I still loved it. **** John please walk across the street & look at this. It kicks-ass. I want the DVD.

Here's the deal: let's go see Robin Hood, then we can go see Kick Ass after it for a King of Popcorn on the weekend of 5/14 if your off. :)
matt farmer

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched a bad thriller flick last night from Red Box. It's called Wind Chill, it started out promising but ended up being another goofy ghost story.

My roomate loves thrillers. So when she brought it home I was bored so decided to watch it, that's the second thriller in a row she rented that sucks! I'm not a big thriller type fan usually though. (she didn't like it either).
eron

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve, did you see the film MOON?
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if Steve saw Iron Man this past weekend.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:

One of the best comic book / super hero movies ever.

Good storyline(s), more depth to them than your would expect. Nice "love story" that develops through the movie that's cliched and comic for much of the movie, takes a not unexpected turn but delivers it well, and makes for a nice addition of depth during the Kick Ass In Peril scene. The Father-Daughter relationship is over-the-top, disturbing in what he's turned her into and how he mentors her... but there's backstory to it with internal logic, and the payoff down the stretch to it is pretty powerful. It's a good contrast to the Father-Son relationship of the heels, and as Yohe pointed out the the Father-Son relationship of the hero.

Amazing job of throwing surprises at you, and not in the "gotcha" way but instead in things that pound you right in the face. An example would be in the Car Break In scene. You think for a second that when the surprise hit that "of course this is a dream sequence where he's imagining it"... but it's not. The movie has quite a few of those, and almost all of them work really well.

The performance of Chloe Moretz has gotten a lot of praise, and it's deserved. One of the best child performances that I've seen in years, and while it's suppose to be over-the-top, the fact that Cage is even more over-the-top opposite of her allows her to come across as the more grounded and natual performance. Mind numbing star making performance. One hopes Moretz doesn't become one of those child actresses that Hollywood eats alive because this really is someone you'd like to watch develop over the next 15 years as she moves through her teens and into her 20s with a variety of roles to grow through. Akin to seeing Ellen Page in Hard Candy and being blown away by the performance and wondering how she'd develope as an actress, though Page by that point was about half a decade older than Moretz.

It's funny to see a pair of movies in one night with Mark Strong as the lead heel. He's really quite good as a heel, and nailed it in both movies.

The comic book, which is even darker, has a sequel in the works. I'm not sure if I'd want to see a sequel on this. It has a nice arc, tells a full story, ends well... you'd just as soon see everyone move on. It's something of a miracle movie, and you're never sure they can pull it together a second time.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin Hood is actually a good movie. Key word: "movie". Ridley set out to make a movie rather than a fast paced, modern all-action film.

There's story, lots of it and at great depth. While it's "history" isn't always 100% accurate, it at least tries to pull in a *lot* of history as the backstory _and_ current story _and_ future story of the film. Perhaps that's what turned a fair number of critics: they were looking for one type of movie, but Ridley pretty much made his own type of movie. It's not terribly different from Gladiator in that respect, which has a ton of story behind the action. In a sense this is closer to a throwback of the old Ben Hur type of story-epic that what we typically get today. I frankly enjoyed the hell out of it for raising above the low standards.

Quality heels in John and Godfrey, leaving the Sheriff to a minor role. They're nicely played, and Strong is an especially good heel as Godfrey. I enjoyed the interaction and charisma between Crowe and Blanchett. The nice turn by Max von Sydow is old school "epic" film making of plugging old stars into supporting roles. William Hurt is similar, though in a more substantial roll. You don't really think of Hurt as William Marshall, and he pulls it off though they don't ask for him to do any physical heavy lifting. I'm an Eleanor of Aquitaine fanboy, so I enjoyed her being in here, though Vanessa Redgrave would have been a great Eleanor as originally planned.

It's an "origin" movie, which is an interesting choice since Ridley doesn't do sequels (the exception being Hannibal which was a sequel to someone else's movie). He's suppose to have a few Alien prequels in the works, and a sequel to Robin Hood doesn't look like it's in the picture. So you have an origin story, that ends in a fashion to get across that there's more... but there isn't likely more. Again, I don't mind. We all know what happened to Robin after he went outlaw, or at least variations of it. I liked that this focused on how he got there.

I can see how people might not like this if they were expecting something more akin to a modern action flick. I like that it avoided that path.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dickies: Banana Splits (Hit Girl's Theme)

Spoiler-o-rama, so avoid if you haven't seen the film. But I do love the "I'm just fucking with you, Daddy" spot at the end. Good touch. :)

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JONAH HEX was a comic I used to buy & like. A kind of take off of Clint. The movie is terrible. Will be a huge boxoffice dud. One of the worst comic book movie. An example of everything wrong with movie making. Terrible *

PRINCE OF PERSIA: THE SAND OF TIME--I've heard a lot of bad stuff about this movie, most of it ragging on Jake Gyllenhaal, but to me Jake (& some of the other actors) was the only good thing about the Movie. I liked Jake in it, very cool. It's just CG blow-ups by Bruckheimer, which looks as real as Bronko Lubich's refereeing. The plot has a goofy time gimmick. Bad pacing. Still I enjoyed a good portion of it and everyone around me seemed to also. **1/2

SPLICE I thought was a classic little SF film. Not a big deal, but very interesting that takes on some interesting topic. ***1/2

I liked everything in THE KARATE KID but the kid. Jaden Smith sucks. Liked the girl friend & Jackie Chan is great (as always). OT: In the original movie the adult trainers had a fight. It doesn't happen in this film & I felt riped off. I wanted to see Chan kick the asshole's butt. Chan's character is much more interesting than the smart ass kid. Not a waste of time. ***

THE A-TEAM had actors I liked a lot & a lot of funny stuff. But the CG effects were terrible. Over the top, but fun. Jackson was very funny playing himself. ***

ROBIN HOOD was a movie I followed for 2 years, because it has my favorite director (Ridley Scott) and I thought it might be a sequel to KINDOM OF HEAVEN (which is one of my personal favorite films...the Director's cut). I saw this with John & we both liked it that night. But then I read a bunch of bad reviews (that made some sense) and a smart nurse at work just hated it. I went back & watched it again & I can see how it was disappointing to some people. To me, they needed some footage on why King John goes back on this word to the people. I think the King's wife or Mother got to him & told him he was crazy & changed his mind. I think they needed a major star as Robin Hood, not a good actor. The battle at the end was too one sided & not dramatic enough. Robin Hood movies always has to have a major sword fight at the end & this one was weak. I liked the stuff about the kings & his mother. I wanted more Eleanor of Aquitaine. Hope Ridley has about 40 minutes of more film that he can put into the Director's cut on DVD. As is, it's a real movie & not some CG mess. Scott uses CG but you can't see it. ***1/2

I saw the movie twice when it came out & I got the DVD and I loved EDGE OF DARKNESS. Mel Gibson was great in it. A real star who is a great actor. I'm a Gibson fan. The film is dark but more than a revenge movie. Good Tension all the way thru. One of my Favorite movies of the 2000's. ***3/4

Got the DVD of DOCTOR ZHIVAGO for like $5.99. As a kid, I always felt it was kind of slow & hard to sit through. In 1967, the girl I had a powerful crush on, went to see it with her boyfriend & loved it. She looked like a Southern version of Julie Christie and I almost died from a broken heart. I remember it as a huge hit with traffic jams all around the theater. I love all the other David Lean movies, so I got it. It is a great film, one of the classics of all time. Wonderful. High art. Alec Guinness is the greatest. Julie Christie made me wonder what happened to that girl. Jackie Peterson, probably weights two hundred pounds. ****1/2

Yohe
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: WHATEVER WORKS Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
It didn't get showed in local movie houses, so I bought the DVD of WHATEVER WORKS tonight & played it at my house. I think it's the best Woody Allen movie in 15 years. Larry David is a meaner version of Woody. I only saw 3 movies this year worthy of a Nomination and with ten spots open you would think there was room for this film. Liked it a lot. ****--Yohe

Totally agreed about this movie. Larry David is a better Woody Allen than Woody (to me, but I'm a huge David fan and not so much of Woody as the years pass). Well acted and plotted, not the by the numbers stuff a viewer would expect and is usually fed to us by Hollywood. I loved the explanation for why David is smarter than everyone else in the flick, well done.

Just curious, Steve, what Woody movies are better?
Paul Jacobi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Steve's way off on Whatever Works. I thought it was ok at best and one of Woody's lesser efforts from the last few years.
I'm a huge Woody Allen fan, probably my favorite filmmaker. (huge David fan too, but found the collaboration disappointing).

Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Match Point, and Cassandra' Dream were all better in the last 5 years, though none were straight comedies like this.

Crimes and Misdemeanors is best film (and one of my favorite films of all time).

Purple Rose of Cairo, Annie Hall, Sleeper, Manhattan, Hannah and her Sisters, Interiors, Sweet and Lowdown (incredible Sean Penn & Smantha Morton performances), Radio Days, Bananas, Zelig, Love and Death, Manhattan Murder Mystery and September are all great too ranging from serious to purely comedic.

There are several other solid ones too.

-Paul Jacobi-
Paul Jacobi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no fight between the adult senseis in the original Karate Kid.

A confrontation takes place at the beginning of the second film and they have a more extended fight in the hilarious (unintentionally) 3rd one.

-Paul Jacobi-
CTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Jacobi wrote:

Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Match Point, and Cassandra' Dream were all better in the last 5 years, though none were straight comedies like this.

Given that Vicky's one of the most turgid, solipsistic, insulting, annoying, and trite films I've ever seen, that must not say much for Whatever Works. But perhaps your tolerance for watching and/or listening to Woody Allen fellate himself is higher than mine.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yohe may be happy:

Robin Hood - Director's Cut

Only 15-16 more minutes, so this is no Kingdom of Heaven dicectors cut (144 --> 192 minutes) and more in line with the Gladiator extended version (155 --> 171). Even Black Hawk Down got an extended version (8 extra minutes), so this might be a little gimmicky in extending some scenes, especially battle scenes, rather than larger narratives. There is a deleted scenes section with commentary from the editor, so it would be interesting to see which of those get put back into the Director's Cut or stay off over in the deleted scenes cutting room floor.

One of these years I'm going to get Cheetah to watch all of these extended versions:

178 min --> 208 min: The Fellowship of the Ring
179 min --> 223 min: The Two Towers
201 min --> 251 min: The Return of the King

Imagine another 124 minutes of Jackson Genius in addition to the previous 558 minutes of brilliance. ;)

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 4 of 85

Jump to: