The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2007 class ballot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2007 class ballot Reply with quote

Here's the ballot for next year's class:

CHIC
The Dave Clark Five
Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five
R.E.M
The Ronettes
Patti Smith
Iggy & The Stooges
Joe Tex
Van Halen

5 out of 9 will be voted in. 2 things that come up in my mind:

1) R.E.M & Van Halen are pretty much locks and Patti Smith & Iggy & The Stooges are pretty solid picks to getting in as well. After that, it's anyone's guess as I don't know if the record executives and Rock legends will be willing to vote for essential the grandfathers of Rap, Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five, or will one of the other 4 end up getting in instead?

2) The amount of candidates seems very, very small for a HOF ballot, especially when there are tons of deserving candidates that haven't even been looked at (probably because of the personal bias of the nominating committee members towards several genres (Prog rock, Heavy Metal, etc.) or to specific bands (such as KISS)). A number of the candidates are pretty pathetic when comparing them to much more deserving candidates who have been blown off for years.

-Tomer
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're forcing themselves to scrape from the bottom of the barrel with the "5 out of 9" rule. There just aren't 5 "new" worthy acts hitting the ballot every year, and there isn't exactly a backlog of great acts left over on the ballot since they've been letting everyone in sight in already.

I guess the way I would put it is - 5 acts a year means 50 acts a decade. Does anyone honestly think that any decade produces *50* HOF worth rock acts?

I could see if the "5" would include producers, executives and possibly managers, since the impact of many of these guys is way up there. But 5 acts is over-the-top.

John
Tomer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
I could see if the "5" would include producers, executives and possibly managers, since the impact of many of these guys is way up there. But 5 acts is over-the-top.

I agree. I seriously wonder why Brian Eno isn't in as non-performer, for example, and think he'd be much more deserving than most of the current candidates on the ballot.

Oh, and this is a pretty cool site with information on R&R HOF and the future potential candidates (as well as some details on how many times a candidate or inductee was inducted and debates on candidates in blog format).

Also, the amount inducted a year fluctuates according to the Future Rock Hall site linked above. But, nonetheless, I think they're really reaching on a number of these guys and figure 1-2 very good to great picks will be made every year with a bunch of "What the hell?" picks going on. They are quickly marginalizing their HOF more than the WON HOF at this rate and really, with some of the recent picks, I can't really disagree with the fans of bands like KISS, Yes, Rush, etc. who are going "What the fuck?!" with them getting blown off completely while more head scratching picks are getting put on every year.

-Tomer
Fong

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van Halen's speech/performance should be worth the price of admission alone. Eddie announced that his son Wolfgang is now on bass, and he said he's been reaching out to Roth again. Sammy and Michael Anthony are personas non grata at this point.

Gary who?

The Ronettes made some of my favorite singles ever, and Be My Baby is the blueprint for Springsteen's Born To Run, not to mention a fucking awesom vocal performance that holds up to this day. But did Ronnie Spector put together any kind of a consistent musical career? In terms of output, she paled in comparison to Dusty Springfield. I know part of that was Phil Spector's influence, but I still can't see her career as HOF-worthy.

Quote:
I don't know if the record executives and Rock legends will be willing to vote for essential the grandfathers of Rap, Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five

May as well start now. If they want to maintain any semblance of legitimacy and credibility, hip-hop has to be a part of the discussion. LL Cool J and Run-DMC will be coming up for nomination in the next few years, and their influence on pop music is too much to deny at this point.

Quote:
The amount of candidates seems very, very small for a HOF ballot, especially when there are tons of deserving candidates that haven't even been looked at (probably because of the personal bias of the nominating committee members towards several genres (Prog rock, Heavy Metal, etc.) or to specific bands (such as KISS)).

The ranks will really start to thin out in the next few years. How many bands worthy of enshrinement came out in the early-to-mid 80's? Chili Peppers, Metallica... erm, what else ya got? Did Stevie Ray go in yet?

They'll have to wait a few years to induct the Nirvanas and Pearl Jams of the world, unless they pull a Meltzer and bump Cobain and Vedder up a la Kurt Angle and HHH. So if they want to actually induct rock bands, as opposed to going purely pop (Madonna, Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston) and hip-hop (Run DMC, LL Cool J), they may have no choice but to revisit Rush and KISS. I think the look on Jann Wenner's face when Gene Simmons ambles up to the mike would be worth it by itself.

-HJF
eron

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rock and roll hall of fame has become a "spectacle" thing, so it really doesn't matter who goes in anymore, in terms of genre. Country, Blues, Rock, Folk, Polka, Hip Hop, it really doesn't matter anymore. It should, but it doesn't.

Hip Hop should have its on Hall of Fame, same to Country, a HOF that doesn't touch the R&R HOF. An important element to being in the Hall should be your credentials to ROCK music, not POP music.

Ah well. I can't wait for the Nine Inch Nails induction when I'm much, much older. Maybe then Trent can change his inevitable tombstone inscription: "Said Fist Fuck, won a Grammy, now in R&R HOF"
Tomer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eron wrote:
The rock and roll hall of fame has become a "spectacle" thing, so it really doesn't matter who goes in anymore, in terms of genre. Country, Blues, Rock, Folk, Polka, Hip Hop, it really doesn't matter anymore. It should, but it doesn't.

Hip Hop should have its on Hall of Fame, same to Country, a HOF that doesn't touch the R&R HOF. An important element to being in the Hall should be your credentials to ROCK music, not POP music.

Ah well. I can't wait for the Nine Inch Nails induction when I'm much, much older. Maybe then Trent can change his inevitable tombstone inscription: "Said Fist Fuck, won a Grammy, now in R&R HOF"

I agree with most of what you say, although I am fine with the 'early influence' category since Rock & Rock derived heavily from the blues as well as elements of folk, country and so forth and legends like Robert Johnson and Woody Guthrie should get their due for the influence they had on some of the biggest acts in Rock history. Although, two of the most confusing inductees (at least for me) still are Bill Monroe (the father of Bluegrass) and Bob Wills & his Texas Playboys (the kings of Western swing). I still don't see their large impact on the Rock industry.

-Tomer
Tomer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as can be seen here, the 2007 inductees are:

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five (Kid Creole, Cowboy, Grandmaster Flash, Melle Mel, Mr. Ness, Raheim)
    R.E.M. (Bill Berry, Peter Buck, Mike Mills, Michael Stipe)
    The Ronettes (Estelle Bennett, Ronnie Spector, Nedra Talley)
    Patti Smith
    Van Halen (Michael Anthony, Sammy Hagar, Alex Van Halen, Eddie Van Halen, David Lee Roth)

No non-performers, as a note.

Just in case anyone was wondering.

-Tomer
eron

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.E.M.?

Oh god.
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Sammy Hagar gets in with Van Halen, does that mean Gary Cerrone does too?

-Chad
Tigerman73

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the non-performer category, it's a complete joke that Tom Dowd isn't in the R&R HOF yet. He had a profound influence on the the music scene for many many years at Atlantic. I would rather they focus on the behind the scenes guys then let in unworthy acts just to put somebody in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: