The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Destroyer recommendations...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
04/81 Destroyer vs Gino Brito
- Source?

This is on Youtube along with a confrontation:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Destroyer+vs+Gino+Brito&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=Destroyer+vs+Gino+Brito&tbm=vid
khawk20

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help with this one:

08/31/68 Dr X vs Verne Gagne (5 min highlight)
- Source?

This aired originally on the Verne Gagne AWA PPV, one of the series of PPVs that Verne and Greg aired before selling the library to Vince. It has since re-aired on WWE Classics in the Verne HOF segment. I originally taped it on the PPV and have both versions.

The X-Andre vs. Bock/Ray match aired both on Luce Classics and on one of the AWA PPVs, probably Best of the 70's (going off memory here). 8 minutes seems long in terms of clip length but I will check.
One other piece attached to that match airing is a brief bit of the TV match where Ray Stevens injured X's ankle, which is what prompted Andre coming in to be X's tag partner in a grudge match. It's from one of the AWA Superbowl shows in Chicago, maybe the one where Verne battled Ivan in the main event.

I believe that through discussions with several AWA guys back when it aired we identified it as most likely being the match Verne regained the title from Dick, based on match descriptions and what looks like the finish on the film.

I highly doubt I have anything from the Japan listings that Dan does not. Japan is Dan's baby.

I'll try to start checking my Beyer Montreal stuff soon. There isn't a ton of it but there is a bit of continuity in his feud with Gino Brito including a TV angle of The Destroyer's figure four challenge with Brito accepting.
khawk20

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
Quote:
04/81 Destroyer vs Gino Brito
- Source?

This is on Youtube along with a confrontation:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Destroyer+vs+Gino+Brito&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=Destroyer+vs+Gino+Brito&tbm=vid

I believe the guy putting that one up is the guy I swap footage with from that and other smaller Canadian based areas. Same one I described in my last message. So, we have that no problem.
DGinnetty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
Looking at Dan's misc set, it looks like these are the only Destroyer matches/clips not listed by Steve earlier:

04/21/78 Tokyo: Destroyer vs. Gino Hernandez (1:38 shown)

04/27/78 Aomori: Giant Baba & Destroyer vs. Dick Murdoch & Kim Duk (4:45 shown)

01/03/79 Tokyo: Heavyweight Battle Royal

10/04/80 Broadcast Mascara Special Feature: Mascara brothers vs. Destroyer & Cruiser (digest) (no match date and don't know who Cruiser is since I haven't watched it yet)

The 4/27/78 match and all the loaded mask stuff by Destroyer makes more sense as it leads into the 05/06/78. If we ever get around to doing a big Destroyer Comp, one will want to add that as a lead in. It's short so it doesn't take up a lot of space, but gets across how they heated things up leading into the singles match.

Steve - have you gotten any other fresh Destroyer stuff since 2013?

I am guessing Cruiser is actually The Crusher, but I can try to verify that.

Dan
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I identified it on my long list as:

08/29/80 Destroyer & The Cruiser (Roger Kirby) vs Mil Mascaras & Dos Caras
- (DG-AJPW-1976-1980)
- (Yohe #1051)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin:

How much of the Toronto stuff is available?

I see this, which I'm not sure if Yohe has ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmp0_1Fa36o

The Rocky Johnson match is JIP but has almost 8 minutes of action, and a result that I think Steve will like. The other match is a throwaway, but the Johnson might be a keeper. Especially if you have all of it, and in better shape.

His results are over here:

http://sportsandwrestling.mywowbb.com/forum2/22637.html

This looks like:

02/28/81 Montreal, Quebec(TV) The Destroyer beat Ricky Johnson

I don't know how much of that other stuff looks interesting. The Toronto tv from the prior year looks interesting, such as that Flair tag.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLY SHIT!!!!

Look what's sitting on Youtube:

08/18/78 US Title: Destroyer vs Mil Mascaras (10:55, 5:25, 7:10)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE-01LeKLBk

The first two falls are clearly in vastly better shape than what Steve has. What's funny is that things get worse in the 3rd. It's possible that Steve's 3rd fall is better.

Anyway... Steve... check it out and see if it lives up to you hopes.

Kevin: you should grab this before it goes away.

He has a lot of other Mil, including stuff from Japan. Dan - you might want to grab anythint that's new for you:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheSeven8888/videos

Last edited by jdw on Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some other stuff:

Dick Beyer (The Destroyer) vs Bob Stanley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WS8m8Ly2ic

Might be this:

12/28/62 Buffalo, NY Dick Beyer beat Bob Stanlee

Here's this one that Steve listed:

06/19/58 Dick Beyer & Bobby Brown vs Doc & Mike Gallagher
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpPdJRB4kmQ

It's a long match, which makes for a good early example before he puts on the mask.

02/05/83 Montreal, Quebec(TV) The Destroyer beat Mr. Hito
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB1R7OJ4wzo

Destroyer vs Victor The Bear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avBEpf_yw1k

Steve's judgement on whether to include that or not.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is this:

08/30/77 Destroyer vs Mil Mascaras (16:27)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtJuMdCW9iA

Air time is less than the match time, and includes intro and post match.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not Rocky Johnson in that one 8:00 match. It's a Ricky Johnson a jobber type. That match was on the Toronto tape I lost or can't find.--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
Look what's sitting on Youtube:

08/18/78 US Title: Destroyer vs Mil Mascaras (10:55, 5:25, 7:10)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE-01LeKLBk

The first two falls are clearly in vastly better shape than what Steve has. What's funny is that things get worse in the 3rd. It's possible that Steve's 3rd fall is better.

That's a fun match. Not as earth shattering as their 1974 match, but a lot of fun stuff in it.

I can confirm what Steve said six years ago: Dick does win the 1st fall with a power bomb. This isn't the Thesz style power bomb that was kind of a stiff unique drop. This is flat out a power bomb before people figured out how to get more elevation on it: Dick gets a little flip up on it, them plops him down, and then leans in for the cover like we saw guys doing once it became popular.

Plenty of cool stuff on the mat, and they bring out big high spots. The finish of all three falls is very nice.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
That's not Rocky Johnson in that one 8:00 match. It's a Ricky Johnson a jobber type. That match was on the Toronto tape I lost or can't find.--Yohe

Damn! :)
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the match, but I agree not as great as the first two in Japan. I don't think the 3rd fall, that I have, is in any better condition. Those tapes that Koji sent look like what was there. Maybe 4th or 5th generation, but very watchable.

Someone get me a copy of it.

The Destroyer & Snuka vs Jumbo & Steamboat match seems to be the prise of the group, at least to newer fans.

Dick seemed to be using the power bomb as a finisher at that time. But he wasn't going to slam Mil so hard as to hurt him. He wasn't going to hurt anyone. Look at his body slam, which looks good....he bends over & I don't think Mil falls a foot. You don't see Dick taking crazy bumps....it's all controlled.

I didn't like the mask he was wearing at the time. The eye holes looked small and it was too tight. I just realized he had on one on the masks he was selling in the arena and in magazines. Dick was trying to make a extra buck.

Still his knees were killing him & you can see it at times. The match wasn't as quick as his early stuff. And you have to realize that he was a major heel. He was a bad guy in LA. So he's doing his babyface style and can't do all his heel stuff in Japan. As a heel he was great. Rival to Blassie.

Dick, like Flair & really most heels of the 60's, never hit the "bombs away" from the tope rope in his life. At least in the corner. His bombs away was always off the 2nd rope. I asked him about it & he said he had better balance & I don't think he wanted anyone getting hurt.

Someone get me that match!!!

Damm John Williams finally did something right. Unbelievable!!!---Steve Yohe
khawk20

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll grab all of those tonight. The Johnson match I think I already have on DVD but I'll capture it again to be safe.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you guys have this:

7-28-93 The Destroyer & Kurt Beyer vs Shohei Baba & Momoto

It was his 2nd to last match and it's complete, and I remember Dick looking good.

I've got to meet Kurt Beyer a few times at the CAC dinners. I like him. When Dick left Baba's team, he left Japan. But Kurt stayed in Japan for a long time. Dick and his 1st wife divorced. She was involved with Japanese art and Dick wanted to teach. The son Kurt stayed with the mother and the two daughters came home to America with Dick. So Kurt spoke great Japanese and today works for a company that deals with Japan. Very smart & a good guys.

Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Eighties All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: