The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Destroyer recommendations...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John told me last night that the tapes are in the mail. ---Yohe
guren

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Our long national nightmare is over."
DGinnetty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tapes have arrived and are being converted at this time. Video quality is absolutely AMAZING! I can't believe I am watching footage from 1977 and it looks this good!

Dan
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really....I was worried you had it all in better shape.---Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have it somewhere, but a Lord Blears vs Leo Garibaldi match 2/3 fall showed up at WC off of you tube. It stars slow,but turns into a very good match. Blears shows some small moves that seem forgotten today.

http://wrestlingclassics.com/.ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=004568

Beyer always says he got his figure four from Blears in Hawaii before turning heel & coming into LA in 1962. Looking at this tape you can see how Dick's fig 4 evolved from Blears' Oxford leg scissors. The grapevine of the leg was combined with Rogers' figure four....thrown in with Dick's quickness, balance & footwork and it became one of wrestling's greatest finishing holds.

In LA, the move was sold just like what Garibaldi did in this match. You know...everyone sold the shit out of it. In a lot of 2/3 fall match, Dick would win the 2nd with the fig 4. Once it was locked in, the referee had to pull it apart. Then in the 3rd fall, you could put in a bunch of spots where the face was in danger of getting beat by it again....and it would be very dramatic because the crowd believed in the move.

You could do mat work and bring real looking wrestling back, if the guys would sell the shit right & put things over....instead of playing Roadwarrior.

Check Jules Strongbow's play by play. I think he was the best.

If I was doing the Destroyer collection, I might put this match in....to show the evolution of the figure 4.----Steve Yohe
DGinnetty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Really....I was worried you had it all in better shape.---Yohe

AJ from the late 70s is not easy to locate. I have a decent amount from 1978-1980, but not nearly a complete run.

This stuff is great to watch and reinforces my faith that a lot of TV footage is still out there to be seen.

Dan Ginnetty
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan

How's it going?

Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I talked to Dan a couple of weeks ago, he had finished converting everything and reviewed it for quality. He thought the conversion looked good. Dan can do some good voodoo when converting old tapes.

He grabbed the version of the 08/18/78 Destroyer-Mil match that was online. That was the one that is in much better quality than your Tape #1027/Destroyer Tape #3 where the first two falls were in extremely bad VQ. He thought the version he grabbed of Youtube ended up looking pretty good.

And to be safe, I also asked him to grab the 08/30/77 Destroyer-Mil match that's online as I never was able to figure out the other source(s) for it.

Also, to make it easier for Kevin, I asked Dan to make dvd copies of his disks listed here earlier in the thread:

http://otherarena.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=453&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=28

Kevin probably has some of that in his big collection, but having Dan's disks labeled would make it easier.

That last one was a little bit of added work as some of the matches have multiple sources that I listed. Dan was going to check each version out and select the one that is the most complete and the best video quality, which Dan is a master at. I remember a few matches over the years where an extra 2-3 minutes become available of something that was originally JIP, and Dan being all over it. Or in the case of the famous 50+ minute All Japan six-man where extra minutes came out, it looks like the whole match but the time didn't match the "official" match time, and Detective Ginnetty went to work studying the match to see where any of it might be cut out. It was pretty cool when he figured out nothing was cut out, and that All Japan just screwed up (or worked) the match time. :)

Anyway, he has a ton of stuff for Kevin.
DGinnetty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Dan

How's it going?

Yohe

Things are going well. I am doing some quality checks on the last 2 tapes, as I found using the internal TBC on 1 of my VCRs gives some minor flagging at the top of the screen. I am just making sure that I have reconverted any tapes that might have been affected.

Then doing the remaining AJC dvds to ensure the best possible VQ for the Destroyer stuff.

Stay tuned, and thanks again for giving me the opportunity to preserve this footage!

Dan
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan

What's happening now?

Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan was actually waiting for some mailing addresses, which I overlooked in my inbox over at PWO. He should have them shortly and will be send a load of stuff to Kevin and conversion sets our way. :)
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe
660 S. Taylor Ave
Montebello, CA 90640
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is PWO?--Yohe
khawk20

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
What is PWO?--Yohe

The website "Pro Wrestling Only", a pretty hardcore fan site that discusses and analyses pro wres mostly intelligently (my contributions not withstanding).

Good site with serious fans, not a lot of nonsense...a few do reviews of the NWA Classics stuff that has it's own channel as the matches are uploaded, which is pretty cool.
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khawk20 wrote:
Steve Yohe wrote:
What is PWO?--Yohe

The website "Pro Wrestling Only", a pretty hardcore fan site that discusses and analyses pro wres mostly intelligently (my contributions not withstanding).

Good site with serious fans, not a lot of nonsense...a few do reviews of the NWA Classics stuff that has it's own channel as the matches are uploaded, which is pretty cool.

Tried to register there. The "Captcha" feature demanded I download it. I couldn't even move the anti-spam images to their categories because the Captcha crap blocked the categories with a large piece of spam.

The site wanted to upload popups. So I authorized that on my browser. Nothing then popped up.

How does one register without downloading a program I do not want and will not allow on my computer?

Thanks, Kevin.

Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Eighties All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: