The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

July 4, 1992 at the CSLA GYM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: July 4, 1992 at the CSLA GYM Reply with quote

July 4, 1992--CSLA Gym--AAA Promotion (ATT: 6,500 with a gate of $120,000)
1--Fishman & El Espanto Jr & Cien Cien Caros
over
El Hijo del Santos & Perro Aguayo & Misterioso 2/3 falls by DQ

2-Conan El Barbaro over El Cobrade 2/3 falls (Hair match)
3-Mando Guerrero & Jerry Estrada & Bull Raiders (Rey Misterio Sr)
over
Utraman 2000 & Piloto Nuclear & Mercurio 2/3 falls

4-Angelito Azteca & Mascarita Sagrada
over
Piratita Morgan & Espectrito 2/3 falls

5-Piloto Suicida & Comos & Arandu
over
Chacal Rivera & Chamaco Rebelde & Lover Boy via COR

6-Mercenaries: Louie Spicolli & Billy Anderson
over
Tlaloe & Gran Colosso

Dave Meltzer in the 7-20-92 WON: "Apparently the gate for the AAA show was really just under $120,000, which means the paid attendance really was 6,500, with tickets at $30, $20, and $15. It would be the second largest non-WWF gate ever in California. .This would by leaps and bounds the largest independent paid crowd in the United States that I can recall in ten years of doing the newsletter....The biggest gate Jerry Lawler ever draw at the Mid-South Coliseum was $80,000 for a match with Ric Flair. The WWF has done many gates at the LA Sports Arena over the years far in excess of that figure....although I don't believe they've hit that figure in 1992. The only non-WWF gate that was larger was the $143,000 house drawn back in 1971 at the LA Coliseum with Blassie vs Tolos."

Yohe: This was the first night I got to sit around talking with Meltzer thru the card. Teney & Karen were there too. Big deal then & now. The card wasn't much. The Blassie/Tolos match really didn't draw $143,000...it was over $100,00 and broke the record of the Thesz/Leone match. Of course, the average Friday night card was around 6,500...but tickets then cost $3.50 & $5.

This was before I met the great John Williams, I think anyway. It may have been the night I spent some time talking with Bob Barnett who was filming. A guy standing close by may have been James. Lano got me into the show for free, but I left him for Dave & Mike. I think it was this card, but I remember very little about the wrestling. I remember talking about the up coming Vader/Sting match. So that fits.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think John & I had our famous phone call soon after this. This was in the same 7-20-92 WON:

Wrestling Observer July 20, 1992 page 10
By Dave Meltzer
It was nice to see WCW acknowledge Rogers' death on it's television show although I really think more should have been done considering what an important figure Rogers was to pro wrestling. Not that I expected any different, but it speaks volumes for Vince McMahon to not even mention Rogers' death on any of his shows considering that in 1963, Rogers was literally dragged out of the hospital after a heart attack to drop the strap to Bruno Sammartino for Vince's father. It's been said a million times before, but it's really sad when you compare the sense of history of pro wrestling in this country, where it was really invented, as opposed to Mexico or Japan. Rogers, who was probably the biggest heel drawing card in history, passed away with little mention in one national promotion and none in the other. In comparison, Giant Baba still has annual Memorial nights for Bruiser Brody. February 5 is practically a national holiday in Mexico, and is a national holiday in wrestling circles because it was the day when El Santo died, and that was eight years ago. In fact EMLL, ran a big deal on it's television show when Rene Guajardo (one of Mexico's most famous heels) died several weeks back and it was Guajardo that was a major part of starting rival UWA. Sadder still that the only major wrestling names at Rogers' funeral were Billy Darnell, a wrestler from the same time period who was Rogers' next door neighbor in South Florida, George Scott, the former wrestler and booker for both WWF and WCW, Bobby Davis (Rogers' manager during his heyday) and Larry Sharpe, whose boyhood hero was Rogers, and who was Rogers business partner when they opened up the original Monster Factory in Jersey.

Yohe: It was Meltzer comments like this, that got me involved in wrestling history. At the time, I knew Tenay real well and had been talking with Lano and Barnett. I was buying historical stuff from Hornsby, Melby, Luce & Hewitt, or at least sending some letters. I became friends with Haruo & he introduced me to Koji, and knowing Koji got me into the group of major historians. Funny John knew JMK before me. It was John who dragged me to the downtown library, & taught me how to use the machines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Eighties All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: