The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5 4 Friday - What music do you have in "heavy rotation&
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew D. Lacelle® wrote:
Marshall Tucker Band is pretty damned great, if you dug some of their stuff check out The Ozark Mountain Daredevils, two songs that I can't recommend enough are Homemade Wine and Leatherwood.

Thanks for the recommendations. I am enjoying those two along with "Country Girl", "If You Want To Get To Heaven", and "Standin' On The Rock." "Heaven" is reminiscent of seventies ZZ Top without the rough edges.

Number one with a bullet this week has been the uptempo Southern Rock jam "Green Grass And High Tides" by The Outlaws. "Left Turn On A Red Light" by Blackfoot has also been in my heavy rotation. On the softer side, "Tears" by Pure Prairie League and "Crazy Love" by Poco are near the top of the count. Finally, "Hot And Nasty" by Black Oak Arkansas is the novelty song of the week. He's got to be kidding with that voice... right? ;)

Frank

(Suprised that Michael Hayes didn't use "Hot And Nasty" at some point.)
Andrew D. Lacelle®

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you dug The Ozark Mountain Daredevils. Now check out some Little Feat and some Wet Willie. Willin' by Little Feat and Rock and Roll Doctor by Little Feat are really decent. Wet Willie's Street Corner Serenade and Keep On Smilin' will be dug as well.
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wet Willie hasn't connected for me, but I'm with you on "Willin'" by Little Feat. I even went back and grabbed "Snakes on Everything" and "Hamburger Midnight" from the first album. Right now I'm digging "Two Lane Highway" by Pure Prairie League.

Frank
Andrew D. Lacelle®

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check out Amy by Pure Prairie League. See if you can find any Drive By Truckers, it's the closest thing to southern rock being played by bands nowadays. Split Lip Rayfield is pretty decent too, especially A Little More Cocaine Please and Don't Believe That You're Something.
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine passed me a CD by Tommy Shaw and Jack Blades called "Influence" that features covers of songs that influenced them. The selection was very eclectic. I had forgotten that Styx was born of prog rock (by the time Styx made it big, they were labelled pomp rock) which accounted for genre standards "Lucky Man" and "Your Move." The set also included soft rock harmonies and lost album cuts like "Dirty Work" by Steely Dan.

I decided to build my own prog rock collection, but first I got sidetracked by Warren Zevon's "Werewolves of London" from 1978, which dominated my rotation last week.

Here's this week's top five:

Roundabout - Yes
Karn Evil 9: 1st Impression, Pt. 2 - Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
The Thrill of It All - Roxy Music
The Wall Street Shuffle - 10CC
Teacher - Jethro Tull

There are prog rockers I like better, particularly from Pink Floyd, but these five keep coming up in the rotation. "Roundabout" is obvious, but hearing it on my new stereos is like hearing it again for the first time.

Frank
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"America" - The Nice

I recognized the song immediately, but it took me a few seconds to remember that it came from "West Side Story." Not to be confused with "America" by Simon & Garfunkel which was covered by Yes.

"21st Century Schizoid Man" - King Crimson

King Crimson was so heavy that they could crush Deep Purple like a grape, yet they were far more ambitious and varied as well. "Schizoid Man" has wonderful start-stop-stutter-stop sequences along with really fun sections of "chase music" that sounds like Glenn Miller swinging double time.

"Bouree" - Jethro Tull

I've liked this song for years. In fact I like the whole "Stand Up" album which provides contrast between light, jazzy numbers like "Bouree" (actually based on Johann Sebastian Bach) and heavier blues fare like "A New Day Yesterday" which wouldn't have sounded out of place opening for Jimi Hendrix or The Who.

"Blinded By The Light" - Manfred Mann's Earth Band

This song has been a guilty pleasure for years, but now that I'm getting into prog rock it finally has a place to fit other than "over-the-top silly, strange rocker with lyrics by Bruce Springsteen." It's ironic to hear the line "With this very unpleasing sneezing and wheezing the calliope crashed to the ground" in a prog rocker.

"I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" - Genesis

It's strange to enjoy Genesis after years of loathing the "beer commercial music" churned out by the incessantly mugging Phil Collins in the eighties. Now I need to get "Foxtrot" and check out "Supper's Ready."

Frank
tdcheetah

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iPod made it to Japan and back in one bright orange piece. As did I.

5 artists my iPod thought would be good for walking around Japan:

Robert Palmer (not surprising, I have a lot of RP)
Utah Saints
Ray Gelato
Dolly Parton
The Oysterband

Eclectic, no? I finally had to force it to play Ryuichi Sakamoto...

And here are 5 things I recently picked up, due to an improptu stop at an unexpectedly well-stocked and knowledgeably staffed Record and Tape Traders (the one on Catonsville MD, near my undergraduate alma mater):

The Fratellis, _Costello Music_. 3 Scottish brothers with an Italian last name. Ain't the European Community great? "Flathead" was featured in an iPod ad [actually one way I've been discovering new pop artists] and I've been keeping an eye open for a copy of this. Originally I might have called it Brit-pop, but after hearing their whole album, it's got good punk sensibility stuck right in the middle of catchy tunes. Favorite song so far: hey, "Chelsea Dagger" already went on my latest mix CD for the car, but "For The Girl" pops with a certain twisted sense of humor...

Blaqk Audio, _Cexcells_. Well, I have no idea who AFI is [apparently a punk revival act called A Fire Inside?] but they've been hiding a very nice Depeche Mode-y electronica act inside part of their number. Favorite song so far: "Bitter for Sweet".

Josh Ritter, _The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter_. Record stores should always have listening stations, plus good written descriptions of albums to accompany said listening stations. I'm usually suspicious of records by male solo artists to begin with (mind you, I buy stuff by male solo artists a lot, but I've suffered too many wanna-be folkies substituting too-earnest singing and over-clever songwriting for entertainment) so I almost listened to this on a dare after both Bob Dylan and Tom Petty got namedropped, wondering just how much I would hate it. Instead, it's like if you took all the precious quirks that most people love and I hate about Dylan & Petty, threw them down a deep dark well, kept the talent and then sprinkled this guy with some Ray Davies and/or Paul Simon vocal quality. Favorite song so far: "To the Dogs or Whoever".

The Klaxons, _Myths of the Near Future_. So the aforementioned knowledgeable staff person riffled through my growing stack of discs to purchase while I ran out to put more money in the parking meter (I didn't think I'd be there over 2 hours...) and we quickly determined that our musical tastes had a lot in common. With that, she started steering me to things I might like in addition to what I already had noticed. [Filling in my KMFDM collection bit by bit = One rare Nitzer Ebb and two rarer Pig CDs later... ] Then she said, "If you like both rock and dance-type electronica, there was something that just came in used...". It was this CD by the Klaxons, and I think I like it a lot, but I'm not entirely sure why yet. It's... kinda all over my musical map, I guess, and I can't tell you who it sounds most like. Anyone else heard it? Got opinions? Recommendations?

Various Artists, _SnakeBites: The Music of Whitesnake_. Back to my hard rock/heavy metal roots for a moment. I often pick up these "music of..." CDs out of curiosity as to what's going to happen to music I really like. Sometimes it works out better than expected (I'll have to do a separate post just on those) and sometimes... you gotta wonder (a) what were they thinking with regards to the song selection, (b) what mandated the inclusion of particular artists [marketing droids? producer's son/daughter? blackmail?], (c) or just how they could fail that spectacularly, given the original source material. This, this falls right smack in the middle between those two extremes: I'm not sure whether this is an ultra-faithful tribute, an studied insult, or an audition tape. Might be all three, given the current situation with The David Coverdale Project. Basically, a small host of heavy metal second-tier musicians (from bands such as Rainbow, F.M., Praying Mantis, Uriah Heep, etc.) along with some of Whitesnake's past lineup (Moody, Marsden, Airey) prove that you don't actually *need* Coverdale's voice to sound like Whitesnake Light. That should worry poor ol' David, frankly. Hope the royalties were worth it... I can't name a favorite song from this yet ;P, but it did finally point out that I somehow omitted to rip my Whitesnake albums to MP3?! Okay, so I hadn't exactly missed them to date in the year and a half I've been working on this format conversion/archive copy project, but it will have to happen if only to get "Kitten's Got Claws" onto the iPod. ;)

Tonight's concert: Thomas Dolby and the Jazz Mafia Horns, fresh off TD's recent solo tours and their joint debut at SxSW. Ooooh...

Lee

(Who are the Arctic Monkeys? Seems like AllMusic cited them as a related band to half my recent purchases.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: