The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2007 Oscar Nominees

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corrado

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: 2007 Oscar Nominees Reply with quote

http://www.oscars.org/79academyawards/noms.html

Quite a few shocks as Dreamgirls the favorite to win Best Picture this year, didn't get nominated for Best Picture. I know its a dark horse, but I'm pulling for Little Miss Sunshine to pull the upset win. AS well as Abigail Breslin for Best Supporting Actress.

Sadly, Sasch Baron Cohen didn't get a nom for Best Actor. At least the screenplay got a nod though "Adapted"? I guess because of the Ali G Tv Show.

Its going to be surreal seeing Eddie Murphy win an Oscar though.
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes "Borat" is adapted screenplay from the character previously being on Da Ali G Show. It was nominated for adapted screenplay in the Golden Globes for the same reason.

-Chad
The Greatest Man Alive

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can somebody explain the nominations for Babel? Terrible, boring, pointless movie that bombed. I don't see how that gets a nod over Borat among a myriad of better movies.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hazzard a guess that some think it's this year's Crash.

John
The Greatest Man Alive

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
I would hazzard a guess that some think it's this year's Crash.

John

I would compare it to this year's Syriana, just without the compelling storyline and quality acting.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of like that Letter from Iowa Jima got the nod rather than Flags of Our Fathers.

Dreamgirls getting shut out of the Big One is interesting. The LA Times has a piece speculating on what did it in.

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was so happy that Deamgirls didn't get the best picture nomination. I thought it was going to win. I hated it. Gave me a headack. I think Eddie Murphy, who deserves it, and Jennifer Hudson, who doesn't, will win.

Forest Whitaker will probably win in a weak best actor group. So blacks might get three oscars & coach a super bowl this year.

Everyone thinks Mirren will win but don't count out Meryl Streep. I think it's kind of even.

Babel sucked...an emotional mess filled with stupid people. The Departed solved all its plot problems by shooting everyone in the head. Letters from Iwo Jima is OK & I think it should get nominated, but isn't good enough for a Oscar & I thought Clint's other movie was harder to make and a better movie. The Queen was maybe the best film in a weak year but I don't know if its worthy of the award. So I'm looking at Little Miss Sunshine & thinking it may be the winner. I haven't seen it but I think a fun movie may be picked more than all those serious films.

I would think its all set up for Scorsese to win Director. His movies isn't one of his best but it may be good enough. He probaby is worried about Clint. I would vote for Stephen Frears.

I don't like who they moninated but if I was voting I would go with this

Picture-The Queen
Actor-Whitaker (& I haven't seen the movie yet)
Actress--Mirren
S. Actor--Murphy
s. Actress--Abigail Breslin (hope shes good when I see the movie)
A. Film--Cars
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack not getting nominated is almost as big of a upset as Deamgirls. Glad they didn't fall for the idea.

De Javu should have at least got a editing nomination.
The Greatest Man Alive

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deja Vu and The Illusionist both deserved some nominations. Illusionist seems like a film that would be highly looked upon by the Oscar tools, but for some reason didn't make it.

That group for best pic is just horrid. The lesser Eastwood flick, mediocre fun Departed, funny with a horrible ending message Little Miss Sunshine (ending ruined the movie for me), unbearable shite Babel and The Queen (seeing it this weekend and hoping it's good).

United 93, The Prestige and Pan's Labyrinth (just watched it, not sure exactly what I watched, but enjoyed it quite a bit) should all come away with something.

Really bad choices at the top this year for the Oscars.
corrado

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscar Winners:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070226/D8NH872G0.html

I was a bit disappointed that Little Miss Sunshine didn't get Best Picture. But at least the Departed isn't Crash. That is a film that got mostly universal acclaim and won Best Picture, unlike Crash which got some mixed reviews IIRC. Still at least LMS won a few key categories.

And here's a great stream-of-consciousness Oscars blog:

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/finke-wrap-live-blogging-the-oscars/#more-1463

I think that's the closest to a Hollywood QM you'll ever get.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: