The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Van Halen's tour plans go boom

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Van Halen's tour plans go boom Reply with quote

Van Halen's road plans have taken a rocky turn

It's the LA Times so registration is needed, and it probably rolls off into their archive after 7-14 days.

"Eddie Van Halen declined interviews through his publicist and girlfriend, Janie Liszewski. Conversations with the business team behind the tour paint a picture of a rock star who is somewhere between Axl Rose and Michael Jackson on the music industry scale of eccentric recluses."

I suspect that Boucher would be better served to have cited Jimmy Page as an eccentric recluse (drugs and wackiness) rather than Axl (drugs and rage) or Jacko (drugs and playing with kids). It also ties in with a later point Boucher makes about Roth, and fits with Eddie since he was the first and arguablly the biggest guitar hero of rock in the generation after Page's.

I had only been paying attention to this in passing. I knew that the point of this one was to tour with Roth and obviously cash in on the nostalgia. I'd didn't pay attention enough to see that Eddie made the call to let his 15 year old son take over on bass and give Mike Anthony the boot. That's pretty much a jackass thing to do since as the article points out Mike's always been a rock solid bassist and terrific back up singer in the midst of the nuttiness that surrounded the band over the years. In addition, he always stayed loyal to the "band" concept when Eddie was feuding with Roth and later Sammy. He did it in a way without slagging the lead singers when they fell out with Eddie, but always carried on with the band and doing his job.

John
Fong

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Halen's tour plans go boom Reply with quote

Hell, we all saw this coming. Unlike the tour with Sammy, however, Eddie decided to skip the tour and just lose it at the onset.

jdw wrote:

I had only been paying attention to this in passing. I knew that the point of this one was to tour with Roth and obviously cash in on the nostalgia. I'd didn't pay attention enough to see that Eddie made the call to let his 15 year old son take over on bass and give Mike Anthony the boot.

I quite liked this quote from the article:

Eddie Van Halen remains, by all accounts, a gifted guitarist and rock auteur, but the decision to jettison Anthony in favor of a teenager may have been the first sign that the new enterprise was guided by creaky logic.

I guess he gets by because he referred to the "new enterprise", because the logic behind Gary Cherone was pretty f'n creaky in its own right.

Quote:
That's pretty much a jackass thing to do since as the article points out Mike's always been a rock solid bassist and terrific back up singer in the midst of the nuttiness that surrounded the band over the years.

Eddie's wanted Mike out for years. As far back as 1996, when Sammy was out, Ed was making overtured to Billy Sheehan, he of Mr. Big fame, to come in. Anthony was a Hagar supporter, and I guess that didn't sit well with the brothers Van Halen. Still doesn't.

Quote:
In addition, he always stayed loyal to the "band" concept when Eddie was feuding with Roth and later Sammy. He did it in a way without slagging the lead singers when they fell out with Eddie, but always carried on with the band and doing his job.

Mike has been in Sammy's camp since as far back as I can recall. When VH toured in the mid-90's behind Balance, Mike and Sam shared a separate dressing room from the brothers. On the Sammy reunion tour, Mike and Sammy had their own private jet. Sammy has gone as far as to say that Eddie wanted to do the 2004 tour without Mike, but Sammy put his foot down on that one. I recall reading an interview Mike did last year in which he said he hasn't been a fan of Roth in quite a long time.

-HJF
(anyone wanna place bets on the first Sting-Stewart Copeland blowout?)
eron

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't people tired of Van Halen? Didn't the last big Hagar-VH tour bomb because tickets were ridiculously priced and no-one wanted to see them again? While a lot of people have been waiting for the Diamond Dave reunion with VH, I can't see them being able to give Eagles ticket prices and sell out the shows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: