The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Night and the City (1950)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Night and the City (1950) Reply with quote

I taped the movie "Night and the City" (1950) off cable TV two nights ago & watched it this morring after getting off work at the hospital. I had seen it as a kid & remember somethings, like the Stanislaus Zbyszko part, but it was a little too much for me at the time because I was young & stupid.

The movie blew my mind. It is great film noir. I think it's it's on the same level as "Touch of Evil" or any of them. It's Richard Widmark's best film & it's filled with great Character Actors. I think it's a masterpiece & the best wrestling movie of all time.

I was wondering who this Director, Jules Dassin, was, because I had ever heard of him & this film had the touch of a master. Turns out, this was his last American film because he was blacklisted after Ed Dmytryk called him a communist before HUAK in the 50's.

Stanislaus Zbyszko is wonderfull in this movie as Gregorius the Great. The scenes between him and his gangster son, Herbert Lom, are unforgettable. It not believeable that he could be so good in the only movie he ever made. It just seems so strange to see this legend of true wrestling history (he wrestled Frank Gotch in 1909) in a modern movie. And the part has him standing up and dying for the creditably of old time pro wrestling. Every fan of wrestling history needs to see this film. I love this movie & the fact it gave Zbyszko such a classly part to be remembered for.---Steve Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: