The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Golf Thread (a/k/a/ Tiger Scoreboard)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an intersting 4th Round of the Open is lining up. I missed the 3rd round, but have the dvr set for all the ESPN coverage... and might just get my ass up early to watch it. :)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a terrific final round by Phil. Never thought he'd win an Open, and you could tell from the emotions that he never thought it as well. Just a smart round combined with good shots and good putting.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiger Scoreboard... Reply with quote

Update time:

Jack's season that he's chasing:

Jack's 37 Season (1977)
0 - Majors (2nd twice)
3 - PGA Wins
0 - Non-PGA Wins
1 - Ryder Cup

Tiger's 37 Season (2012 to date)
0 - Majors
5 - PGA Wins
0 - Non-PGA Wins
0 - President's Cup (to be played)

Tiger Career through 37 (current year)
14 - Majors
3 - Amateur Majors
79 - PGA Wins
12 - Non-PGA Wins
1 - Ryder Cup
5 - President Cups

Chasing:

Jack Career through 37
14 - Majors
2 - Amateur Majors
64 - PGA Wins
21 - Non-PGA Wins
4 - Ryder Cups

All-Time PGA Wins List:

82 Sam Snead
79 Tiger Woods
73 Jack Nicklaus
64 Ben Hogan
62 Arnold Palmer
52 Byron Nelson
51 Billy Casper
42 Phil Mickelson
41 Walter Hagen

Who knows how much Tiger will play the balance of the year. There's the PGA, and the four "Playoffs" events. In the past you were able to skip one of the first two Playoff events if you were so far ahead that you'd still make the "cut" to go onto the next event. I know that Tiger did that in the first season of playoffs. I don't know if they changed the points system to discourage that.

Anyway, that's 5 events before the end of the 2013 "season".

There are six events in the "fall" that will count towards next season:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_PGA_Tour

He's pretty much a lock to play the WGC-HSBC if healthy - he played in 2009 and 2010, and several times before it got elevated to a WGC level event. One wonders if he'll play the CIMB Classic the week before as a warm up.

Anyway... the question is:

Can he tie Sam before the end of 2013.

I have to say, setting aside his issues at Majors, an 8 win year would be nuts. Here are the people who have won 8 in a year:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_PGA_Tour_wins_in_a_year

It's happened 7 times since 1960. Arnie (2), Miller, Tiger (3) and Vijay. Think about who is missing from that list: Jack and Watson, and everyone else since 1960. A lot of guys who played a lot of events in a season, rather than 18-20.

Winning 8 events in a year for a 4th time would be nuts.

He's barely halfway there, and the odds are long. But something to watch.
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is the Golf thread:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/blogs/local-knowledge/2013/08/us-open-other-usga-events-moving-from-nbc-to-fox.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Thats quite a get for Fox.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a pretty goofy get for Fox. The PGA is locked up by CBS and NBC/Golf Channel through 2021:

PGA Tour signs 9-year extension with networks

The British Open deal with ESPN runs through 2016... I think.

The only of those USGA events that draws any ratings is the US Open. Few people care about the Women's Open or the Senior Open, which won't change until Tiger goes Sr.

It's strange to me because that $100M a year that Fox will be spending for the next 12 years ($1.2B) likely could be spent on something more valuable that's coming up, like the Big 10 or the NBA or even smaller things like the next cycle of the EPL (i.e. regaining it) and Champions League (to avoid losing it).

I don't get spending $100M a year / $1.2B total for essentially just 1 event a year, which is 4 days of programing. I'd rather get consistent content that fills up my new Sports Channel.

Last edited by jdw on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really not that much different than what ESPN does for the Open. Just the amount paid for US Open, US Women's and US Senior (the amateur stuff is just freebies) is what's astonishing.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corrected the earlier post: ABC/ESPN --> CBS.

The slight difference with ESPN/ABC and what Fox is doing is that ESPN/ABC had the Open to themselves, then provided early round coverage for the US Open and Masters. So of the 16 rounds of the majors, they had 8 of them

8 ESPN/ABC (1-2 Masters + 1-2 US Open + 1-4 Open)
4 NBC (3-4 US Open + 3-4 PGA)
2 CBS (3-4 Masters)
2 TNT (1-2 PGA)

Granted, the most valuable rounds are the weekend and ESPN only had one of them. But they had a big toe in the water.

Fox is just the US Open now, and no other golf. Maybe they make a big play for the Masters, and perhaps this doubling of the USGA contract opens some eyes for Augusta. That said, they have a Special Relationship with CBS, and one gets the sense that the Masters along with the SEC are things that CBS just flat out doesn't want to lose (and of course they aren't going to lose the NFL again).
Rian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great win by Dufner today. He played clutch pretty much all weekend long.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in CBS vs TWC land. :)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masters was interesting on Sunday with Spieth looking strong until the 4 swing turn around on 8 & 9. It was strange after that as Bubba gave a shot back on 10, but it also didn't feel like Spieth could take it back... only that if Bubba fell off that Spieth might win. I don't know if that makes sense, but it just felt at 10 & 11 that Spieth wasn't going to grab it. Then on 12... that was kind of it.

Kid was looked amazingly poised prior to 8 & 9. Going to be fun to see how consistent he is, whether he hits a wall with early success like Rory did... and people tend to forget Tiger did from the tail end of 1997 through 1998 before going nuts in 1999 to start his monster run.
corrado

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2014/04/15/Media/Fox-Golf.aspx

He's pulling a Nantz now. Yikes.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difference is that Nantz was a top-flight golfer at one point, having played on scholarship at the University of Houston with Fred Couples. Back at that time, U. of Houston golf team was like Alabama is today in college football.

I doubt Buck has the knowledge of the game as Nantz. Neither did Pat Summerall, but Buck isn't in Summerall's league as an announcer. Dan Hicks is pretty good, unfortunately he's paired with Johnny Miller who could not possibly spew more nonsense and contradict himself.

The Shark is an interesting choice. Golf tends to favor those European accents announcing. Now, Norman is obviously Australian, but I think you get the point. I wonder how much that will appeal to the younger demos. Although I think the younger demos, particularly those that play golf, have increasingly become more influenced by European golf. Look at the way young golfers dress (bright colored shirts, white belts, colorful pants, etc), that all came from the European players.

I think FOX could benefit from really getting inside what the players, caddies and their instructors are feeling before the round. How they are hitting it. What they are working on. What their strategy is. Even if it is very technical, educate the audience on what is going on. They really need to get into the personality of the players and if the players have a difficult time bringing it out…pull it out of them. Otherwise you’ll see the same issues with drawing consistently good TV ratings that have been an issue with golf for decades. And you won't be able to pull in that younger demographic that the game is badly struggling with right now.

YR
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Anthony means by "pulling a Nantz" is that Buck is placing himself / getting placed on everything major that Fox does. Which is what's happened to Nantz over the years.

I tend to call it pulling a Musburger, who ruled CBS Sports for ages and was the 1000 pound gorilla:

1975–1989: NFL Today studio host

1975-1980: NBA Finals Play-by-Play
1981-1989: NBA Finals Host

1981-1984: College Basketball studio host
1985-1990: Final Four Play-by-Play

1982-1988: College Football Lead Play-by-Play

1976-1989: US Open Tennis Play-by-Play

1983-1988: The Masters - Studio Host

The funny thing was that when Brent was fired, the comment at CBS Sports / CBS High Management was that they'd never have another Brent all over the place. It wasn't long before they had Nantz.

Of course other networks do that:

Costas rose to being all over the place in NBC, even to the point of failure: his later runs in Baseball came across as a cranky old guy (which was odd for Costas), and his return to NBA pbp was an epic disaster. Gumbell had the potential as well, but the move to the Today Show limited his sports (Olympics), and helped give rise to Costas.

ABC has Cosell all over the place, but on some level that was balanced out by (i) Howard usually being a "commentator", and (ii) McKay and Gifford also being all over the place. Howard was one of the faces of ABC Sports, and television for that matter. But they also had a couple of other biggies.

ESPN had a bit with Burman... too much. His love for Golf and Baseball forced his way into coverage of those, but to a degree ESPN seemed to humor him with those rather than let him build a slew of empires. With Tirico and Fowler, they've let those two expand their bases, and clearly they are favored sons by higher ups (Tirico to sickening lengths). Stuff like Tirico getting another World Cup call between his major NBA and NFL assignments is annoying since guys like Max Bretos are busting their hump to have earned their ESPN bones and soccer is Max's sport. But still... neither Tirico nor Fowler, or even Boomer at his height, have been developed by ESPN into being their Musburger / Costas / Nantz / Buck. They're probably closer to the old Cosell & McKay & Gifford level.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that did not read like a pretty round... after a not-pretty first round.

Will update the leaderboards at a certain point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: