The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ratatouille *spoilers*

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Ratatouille *spoilers* Reply with quote

Dr. Frank Swietek says "Ratatouille" is Pixar's best picture so far, which is pretty hard to believe considering the classics already in Pixar's library.

Finally a summer blockbuster that I actually want to see.

Frank
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard Corliss of Time Magazine went bonkers for it, but there are times when the Two Richards of Time will go a little overboard on a movie that get to watch well in advance to allow for a big write up in time for magazine deadlines. Not saying that they're whores like a David Sheenan, but they get a little excitable at times. So I was a little reserved when I saw the hype from Corliss.

Then I read Kenneth Turan's review in the LA Times this morning:

Ratatouille: The film is audacious and its unlikely hero is hard to resist

And he put it over huge.

I am very much looking forward to seeing this while on vacation in the coming weeks.

John
The Greatest Man Alive

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the charts huge. Just a fantastic film. This is going to have tremendous legs and may be the biggest surprise of the summer. I wouldn't be surprised if this was still in heavy theater rotation 2 months from now. Just a top notch effort that will hit every crowd demographic out there. The ending made the movie for me as it didn't leave loose ends.

I'll stop gushing now, drop everything and go see this film.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to need strong word of mouth to match it's strong reviews and strong repeat viewing. Even Pixar has admitted that it's the hardest movie to market that they've ever made. Rats, cooking, France... it's just a tough sell. They know they have what, by the reviews, appears to be a great film. But getting people to watch it at the level of the prior Pixar movies... is going to be hard.

I don't think the Friday numbers are extremely promising:

$22,606,402 Toy Story 2*
$17,806,294 Monsters, Inc.
$20,208,056 Finding Nemo
$20,503,078 The Incredibles
$19,713,746 Cars
$16,600,000 Ratatouille

* Friday box office after Wed wide opening & limited opening the prior weekend

Considering movies these days on't have remotely the legs that movies had even back at the time of Finding Nemo (i.e. are even more front loaded), I don't think this is going to do off the charts business. Cars did $244M. It did $60M opening weekend, and another $34M it's second weekend, and another $23M it's third weekend to push it to $156M by that point. I just don't know see Ratatouille matching that pace.

I'd love to be wrong. Perhaps with the Wed July 4th there will be so oddly strong box office numbers for what will be two pairs of "extend weekends" depending on how people take them off: 6/29 - 7/4 and 7/4 - 7/8. But...

I'm with the Pixar folks - this is an exceptionally tough movie to seel.

If I recall correctly when Nemo came out, I wrote a post on here to the effect that it was a demo busting movie. Small kids would pop for Nemo. Elementary kids would pop for the adventure. Adults with kids would find themselves with a watchable, engaging movie on the screen. Adults who were "big kids" who loved anemation and "softies" who like a well told, mushy story would love it. And it was all very accessable and marketable. I felt like it could do amazing box office.

Admittedly, I haven't seen the current movie yet, saving it for vacation (and getting Cheetah to promise not to see it before I get out there :P ). But... my feeling from seeing the trailer in the theater and the commercials on the TV is that it doesn't have the massive demo busting "pull" from the advertising. I enjoyed the trailer in the theater, but utterly packed/sold out Pirates-3 crowd was noticably flat for it. It wasn't close to the strong buzz that The Incredibles trailers had back when I saw them several times leading into its release.

I hope I'm wrong. I'd like to see this get to $200M, because given the box office of this summer, that won't be overly disappointing. But I have the feeling that $165M might be it... if it. :/

John
tdcheetah

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
It's going to need strong word of mouth to match it's strong reviews and strong repeat viewing. Even Pixar has admitted that it's the hardest movie to market that they've ever made. Rats, cooking, France... it's just a tough sell. They know they have what, by the reviews, appears to be a great film. But getting people to watch it at the level of the prior Pixar movies... is going to be hard.

$22,606,402 Toy Story 2*
$20,208,056 Finding Nemo
$19,713,746 Cars
$16,600,000 Ratatouille

Considering movies these days on't have remotely the legs that movies had even back at the time of Finding Nemo (i.e. are even more front loaded), I don't think this is going to do off the charts business. Cars did $244M. It did $60M opening weekend, and another $34M it's second weekend, and another $23M it's third weekend to push it to $156M by that point. I just don't know see Ratatouille matching that pace.

I'd love to be wrong. Perhaps with the Wed July 4th there will be so oddly strong box office numbers for what will be two pairs of "extend weekends" depending on how people take them off: 6/29 - 7/4 and 7/4 - 7/8. But...

Yeah, I think the weird "July 4th in mid-week" thing is key and I don't know which way it's going to swerve. It feels like a quality gamble that could pay off huge, getting in between Spidey, Pirates, and Potter. Looks like many people are just taking the whole week off to start/end vacation, be with the kids now out of school, etc.

It's doing somewhat close to Monsters business... that's not the worst comp to have right now.

Quote:
I'm with the Pixar folks - this is an exceptionally tough movie to sell.

If I recall correctly when Nemo came out, I wrote a post on here to the effect that it was a demo busting movie. Small kids would pop for Nemo. Elementary kids would pop for the adventure. Adults with kids would find themselves with a watchable, engaging movie on the screen. Adults who were "big kids" who loved anemation and "softies" who like a well told, mushy story would love it. And it was all very accessable and marketable. I felt like it could do amazing box office.

Thing is, rats are probably the harder part to sell with adults. Kids mostly think rats are just big mice/gerbils/guinea pigs, esp if they don't come in contact with them on a daily basis in an urban habitat. Cooking... adults are more into cooking. Kids either eat everything or are extremely picky.

As for France? Depends heavily on what they do with it. Being French worked for Pepe Le Pew, after all. :P My top animated films includes the breathtakingly quirky _Triplets of Belleville_, which features both La Tour du France and a very skewed take on New York. Not that that was a wild commercial success, mind you, but if you were its target market -- and I was right smack in the center of the target, it was like they made it *for me* -- you were absolutely bowled over by it.

So I can see this could be appealing on multiple levels. Well, hopefully I will see that, when I finally see it. :)

Quote:
Admittedly, I haven't seen the current movie yet, saving it for vacation (and getting Cheetah to promise not to see it before I get out there :P ).

Hey, I haven't seen *any* films this summer. Not even the Silver Surfer one, and I love Galactus. :P

Quote:
But... my feeling from seeing the trailer in the theater and the commercials on the TV is that it doesn't have the massive demo busting "pull" from the advertising. I enjoyed the trailer in the theater, but utterly packed/sold out Pirates-3 crowd was noticably flat for it. It wasn't close to the strong buzz that The Incredibles trailers had back when I saw them several times leading into its release.

I hope I'm wrong. I'd like to see this get to $200M, because given the box office of this summer, that won't be overly disappointing. But I have the feeling that $165M might be it... if it. :/

I'd say Pirates, as it's been pushed as an action-packed franchise, isn't quite the right crowd for that trailer. Possibly Potter 4 would have been a much better lead-in for it...

Lee
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:

$22,606,402 Toy Story 2*
$20,208,056 Finding Nemo
$19,713,746 Cars
$16,600,000 Ratatouille

Weekend:

$29,140,617 Toy Story (1995)
$33,258,052 Bug's Life (1998)
$57,388,839 Toy Story 2 (1999)*
$62,577,067 Monsters, Inc. (2001)
$70,251,710 Finding Nemo (2003)
$70,467,623 The Incredibles (2004)
$60,119,509 Cars (2006)
$47,227,000 Ratatouille (2007)

* Fri-Sun box office after Wed wide opening & limited opening the prior weekend

The Saturday numbers were strangely low - same as Friday essentially. Pixar movies tend to spike up sharply on Saturday from Friday.

Quote:

It's hard to take a guess since it so far removed from other movies at the moment.

I think the ones from 2005-2007 to look at perhaps are:

Opening Weekend
$68,033,544 Ice Age: Meltdown
$47,224,594 Madagascar
$41,533,432 Happy Feet
$38,457,003 Over the Hedge

Life
$198,000,317 Happy Feet
$195,330,621 Ice Age: Meltdown
$193,595,521 Madagascar
$155,019,340 Over the Hedge

The thing is... those movies are largely aimed at kids. Ratatouille is oddly aimed... or not really aimed.

Like I said above, to show legs it's going to need wicked word of mouth and massive repeat viewings.

John
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy the fact that Pixar steers clear of the cheesy, pop culture gimmicks that overwhelm and define DreamWorks productions. Instead of Eddie Murphy's cartoon alter ego mugging through a scene the human cartoon mugged through in an earlier film, we got gags like the streets of Paris being cluttered with the ugly Renaults and Peugeots we remember from the seventies.

Unfortunately "Ratatouille" suffered more than a little from the familiar Disney storytelling gimmicks. Perhaps "Ratatouille" was constructed as an homage to Disney himself and perhaps, if I watched it enough times, I would discover more depth to that concept, but on first viewing I was overcome by the sensation that Bird was serving up leftovers from my own childhood.

Maybe it was the combination of Paris and a storyline about a servant trying to steal an inheritance from the rightful heir. Those who haven't seen "The Aristocats" will enjoy this more, but they may still notice how many of the other plot lines come from the standard bag of tricks that Disney and lessers have mined for years. At least the hero wasn't an orphan, though predictably he didn't want to become what his father wanted him to become. I'm a bit old to buy _every_ rebellion tale that flashes across the big screen.

In the end, "Ratatouille" was fun, particularly the final confrontation with the food critic, yet even on that score I find myself wondering if I haven't seen that exact solution applied in some other film. The whole family gave it a thumbs up, which is one more thumb (mine) than Shrek II got.

Frank
tdcheetah

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running 96% positive at Rotten Tomatoes. 8.7 out of 10 at IMDB. And here's a review quoting Tony Bourdain.

http://blog.ruhlman.com/ruhlmancom/2007/07/kitchen-rats.html

Saw it last Thursday in an (nearly-empty, but at least relatively inexpensive) twilight matinee show. I'll let Crow write his review of it first. ;)

Lee
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this again in air conditioned splendour over the weekend. Place was utterly packed for the second of just two showing of the day for the movie (theater must have flipped over to something else such as Superbad during the more choice part of the day).

I love the flick. I make two admissions that may play to be a markish fanboy elements of me:

* I'm a mark for cooking shows, with the emphasis on *cooking* and eating rather than Emeril/Flay/Rachel Ray style Celebrity Ego Fucking

* As a kid, I was a mark for domesticated rats. My brother and I raised them until I was well into my teens

This movie had cooking up the ying-yang, and Cool Rats. And Pixar (third markdom) to boot. Can't miss with me unless it totally sucked. :)

I'm with Cheetah *a bit* on the Love Story being forced and quick. I would have far prefered it to be a Brother-Sisterly, Mentor-Protege thing. The same story points could have been as easily made going the route and small modifications to hit the point of Remy feeling seperated from Linguini.

Like most of Pixar movies, it hits lots of themes that have a chance of hitting the mark with different people. Family/friendship/trust and the concept that you can do most anything if you try and have the opportunity to were front and center. But there were others as well.

The animation was strong. The plotting effective though not jaw dropping in originality. Like much of Pixar, they often seem to put wanting to tell a story over simply making you laugh your ass off or give you a ton of adventure... though it had moments of both those things. Pixar movies tend to have more "heart" to them than Normal Movies, and I treasure them for that.

And there was food, and rats. :)

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: