The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Springsteen tour thread...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn... I wish before MegaUpload went down that I did more grabbing of boots. Torrents is way too confusing for me. :P
guren

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a superb sounding boot of Springsteen's 8/23/2008 show from St. Louis out there. It was apparently made from a mix of 8 IEMs (in-ear monitors). It looks like the below URL has the show as 3 .zip files.

8/23/2008 St. Louis show

glenn
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Backstreets:

December 4 / Honda Center / Anaheim, CA

Setlist:
Land of Hope and Dreams (with Tom Morello)
Adam Raised a Cain
Streets of Fire
Hungry Heart
We Take Care of Our Own
Wrecking Ball
Death to My Hometown (with Tom Morello)
My City of Ruins
Spirit in the Night
The E Street Shuffle
Long Time Coming (solo acoustic)
Reason to Believe
This Depression (with Tom Morello)
Darkness on the Edge of Town
Bad Luck (with Mike Ness)
Because the Night
Darlington County
Shackled and Drawn
Waitin' on a Sunny Day
Raise Your Hand
The Ghost of Tom Joad (with Tom Morello)
Badlands (with Tom Morello)
Thunder Road
Jungleland
Born to Run
Dancing in the Dark
Santa Claus is Comin' to Town
Tenth Avenue Freeze-out (with Tom Morello)

Um... it was a freaking amazing show.

I'm not a massive fan of The Rising / Magic / Working on a Dream / Wrecking Ball albums relative to the 1973-82 albums. Probably me simply stuck in the past on the albums / songs that made me a fan. 8 of 28 from those albums, 6 alone from Wrecking Ball is a mix that I thought would leave me flat for stretches. Instead, all 8 of those songs are vastly better in concert than on disc.

Only one was a little flat for me though the crowd was okay with it. We Take Care of Our Own always strikes me as music mismatched with the lyrical theme, while the lyrics try too hard for the theme/topic he wants. Personal feel of it, though I others like the song.

I also thought Land of Hope & Dreams was semi-problematic. I've liked the song since the Reunion Tour, and like it in concert. But... it's not a strong opener. I get was Bruce was trying to do: lay out a theme. The performance was good. It just would have fit deeper in the show, and opened with something stronger to draw the fans (who were late arriving due to traffic) into the show. One of the songs in the Reunion Era that I generally like, well performed... not greatly slotted.

On the other hand, Wrecking Ball, Death to My Hometown, My City of Ruins, This Depression, Shackled & Drawn are so much better in concert / performed that the songs are elevated. My City of Ruins was an especially powerful performance coming on the heels of Sandy hitting NJ. So...

The old war horses were well done, a lot of them playful and some of them powerful. The more recent stuff was above expectations. Then there were a slew of treats in the revolving door of spots on the setlist that almost all came up in my wheelhouse to pop me: Adam Raised a Cain, Streets of Fire, Spirit in the Night, The E Street Shuffle, Reason to Believe, Because the Night and freaking Santa Claus is Comin' to Town in the encore. I went bonkers for finally seeing the awesome full band performance of Reason To Believe, a personal fav. And the version of Bruce & Tom Morello's recrafting of The Ghost of Tom Joad was INSANELY EPIC. In fact, having seen some versions on youtube, I don't think I've seen any better than this: Morello was nuts on the guitar, and his confidence in trading lyrics with Bruce was very strong.

"Satisfying" is an odd word to toss at an exceptional concert, but it was the best I could come up with at 1:30AM... but it still fits this morning. :)

The *only* thing that was missing from it being perfect would have been Prove It All Night with the 78-style into + Nils getting the later solo. Given the set construction, I think we got Because The Night instead for the Nils-solo (which he was NUTS) on. I think there was one show recently where both were played, and Stevie got the Because The Night solo... I would have been perfectly happy with that. But can't be greedy. :)

John
guren

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice write-up. I noticed that he has opened with Land of Hopes and Dreams the past few shows. I love the song, but I agree it belongs later in the set.

I'm jealous you got a show with Tom Morello.

Where were your seats? Or better yet, were you in The Pit? Also, did I read somewhere that you went with Steve Y.? If so, I would love to read Steve's thoughts on the show.

glenn
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nose bleed seats to the left of the stage. Thinking of terms of the Pond as a hockey / basketball arena, we were pretty close to dead even with midcourt.

The seats would have been in a great location if they were the lower level, but I screwed up: went through the order process, had those good seats... then it asked me to put in the Pre Order Code. I had to scramble around the net trying to find it. By the time I did, the order expired. Scrambled to quickly redo it... and moved up to nosebleed.

Yohe was fine with the seats. I was annoyed because I had better... and at the price (100+), you really feel like you should have better. Guess I'm use to the days of Bruce being a reasonable ticket... and perhaps that's a reasonable price these days. Worth paying it because (i) this tour was getting good reviews, (ii) don't know how much longer there's going to be a chance to see him and the band perform a good vigorous show, and (iii) I really don't want to see him in a stadium again. :P

Steve had a very good time. I was worried about two things:

* despite having a good time when we went to the Reunion show years ago, that he might not enjoy this

* after seeing Morello on an early song where he was just rhythm, that when he was out for a later song that Steve might not like his play since it's not really Bruce.

Nothing to worry about on the first one. As they were doing that stretch of recent songs early in the set, Steve turned to me and made a comment similar to what I wrote: he wasn't a fan of the newer albums, but it's good live.

On the second one, I thought Steve was zoning out on the first song with a Tom monster solo. About 2/3rds of the way through, he shoulder bumps me, and I'm thinking he's REALLY annoyed by this dude doing the wacky solos during Bruce's songs.

"He's fucking awesome!"
-Yohe

I'm like Fucking A, this is working for Yohe! :)

Steve can toss some stuff up when he gets the chance... hopefully.

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great night & they are far & few these days. 3 1/2 hours & all of it was great. I'm not a fan of most of the new stuff, but live it was great. I played the same songs in my car today & it wasn't near as good. It was a special night for me & I didn't even have to drive. Who know how many nights I've got left like that. Thanks John.--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a great night. And I'm going to hammer you if you start talking about not having too many nights like this left. :)

John
Fong

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write-up. Glad you both enjoyed it.

I was interested to see how you'd feel about the evolution of Bruce's show, considering the last time you saw him was in '99. The core of the shows retains a lot of similarities to that tour (my first Bruce show was August of '99 in D.C.), the heart of the band remains as tight as they were back then.

But at the risk of romanticizing the present day, because it's all I know of him as an in-person concert attendee, I'd say Bruce's performance is better now than it was back when he put E Street back together. His voice is stronger, guitar playing more focused, and the shows don't have as many dead spots.

The recent stuff really does come alive in concert; while I like a lot of the material on Magic and Wrecking Ball (Rising is really hit-or-miss, and Working on a Dream is his worst album ever IMO), the production of those records annoys me to no good end. The horns make the Wrecking Ball material so much richer in the live setting. Bruce seems to believe in the material, much moreso than with the Dream album, and his performances on the new stuff are very strong.

I had a feeling Morello would show up for any SoCal show, and I'm incredibly jealous of it, as well as the Mike Ness cameo. Social Distortion is a woefully underrated band.

I'd like to have seen Thunder Road and Land of Hope and Dreams swapped in the setlist. And I'm really hoping that the 2013 leg of the tour sees more of The Promise appear in concert (Save My Love was awesome in Manchester). But seeing Long Time Comin' and Devils and Dust make it into the set recently is a great sign.

Guren - regarding bootlegs, I haven't been as on top of things on the current tour as in years' past. The stadium shows produced some of the best setlists, but the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired. There's a great Wrigley Field boot, from the second night (Prove It '78 to open, Eddie Vedder cameo on Atlantic City). The Jungleland torrent site currently has most of the West Coast shows. If you do a lot of torrent downloading, any time you see the name Bakerstuff next to a show, you're generally getting a good recording (there's an Oakland recording by him that's worth it).

-HJF
guren

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fong wrote:
Guren - regarding bootlegs, I haven't been as on top of things on the current tour as in years' past. The stadium shows produced some of the best setlists, but the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired. There's a great Wrigley Field boot, from the second night (Prove It '78 to open, Eddie Vedder cameo on Atlantic City). The Jungleland torrent site currently has most of the West Coast shows. If you do a lot of torrent downloading, any time you see the name Bakerstuff next to a show, you're generally getting a good recording (there's an Oakland recording by him that's worth it).

Hey Homer, thanks for the info. I use DIME (I actually don't know the URL of Jungleland) and saw the November 30 show by Bakerstuff. I may download it later.

Last night I downloaded the July 28, 2012 Gothenburg show from DIME. It's a Crystal Cat production and the sound is gorgeous. Of all the Wrecking Ball shows, this is the one I really wanted since it has Frankie, one of my favorite Springsteen songs and one that I didn't have a decent live version of until now. Just a great setlist with really good sound quality.

glenn
Fong

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://jungleland.dnsalias.com/

Best way to do things there is to wait for your first download until you happen to get on when a show is just starting to be seeded (you'll see the seeder number in red). Get on, stay on, and your share ratio will go through the roof. Once it climbs above a certain level, you get access to pretty much everything on the site (below a certain mark, can't remember the exact threshold, they'll limit your access to freshly minted shows). And it could just be me, but I noticed once my ratio crawled over the 1.00 mark, my download rates began to skyrocket.

I'm grabbing Gothenburg and the Anaheim show as we speak.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOGkCM_086M
guren

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great version of one of my favorite Springsteen songs.

Bruce Springsteen - Back In Your Arms
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great song.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Morello is filling in for Little Steven on the Aussie tour, as Steve is doing some TV. Clips:

http://www.backstreets.com/setlists.html
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer & Guren - did you see this? Chris shared it with:

Bruce Springsteen and E Street Band Surprise Stockholm With Complete Performance Of Born To Run Album

Not the first time he's done it, but more in the sense that he just surprised the fans with it rather than announcing it. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: