The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Springsteen tour thread...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
guren

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next night at the same venue, he played the full Darkness album.

glenn
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to be in the building when he did either Darkness or Nebraska. :)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1d-NapIGsQ
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New album in January, which makes me wonder if he's thinking of another tour. :)

One hopes that a River box set is in the works. The sessions got major play on Tracks:

4 - Darkness sessions
13 - River
1 - Nebraska (the BitUSA demo)
17 - BitUSA

So perhaps there isn't as much to mine out of the non-released studio tracks, though on some level it would be nice to have the stuff in the same collection. But there's a load of live stuff from the River tour.
guren

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a Bruce sighting at the Duke vs UCLA game last night.

Bruce Springsteen watches Duke play at MSG, Twitter users go nuts

Not sure about his daughter's choice of schools, but I liked the fist-pump GIF.

glenn
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Joe R.E.M.ery @Bad__Scooter

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN IS AT THE DUKE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!! TWO OF MY FAVORITE THINGS!

;)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10252466/is-bruce-springsteen-career-overrated-underrated-properly-rated

John
guren

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for fun, Joe Posnanski threw up a poll asking what 5 songs fans would pick for the Bruce Springsteen Song Hall of Fame. Comments can be seen in his post titled, "Does Alan Trammell equal Out In The Street?.

For me, I have a tough time separating HoF songs with my personal favorites. My lists (subject to change at any time on a whim) would be:

HoF list
1. Thunder Road
2. Born to Run
3. Born in the U.S.A.
4. Incident on 57th Street
5. Jungleland

Honorable mentions to: Dancing in the Dark (big hit), Hungry Heart (ditto), Backstreets, Badlands, Brilliant Disguise, My City of Ruins, The Promise, many others...

Favorites that I never tire of hearing
1. The Promise
2. Frankie
3. Back in Your Arms Again
4. My City of Ruins
5. Tougher Than the Rest

Honorable mentions: Trapped, Because the Night, Prove It (w/ '78 intro), Loose Ends, Restless Nights, Brothers Under the Bridges, Downbound Train, Atlantic City, Does This Bus Stop on 82nd Street, Meeting Across the River, Point Blank, many others...

glenn
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question.

Mine (subject to change at any time on a whim :P ) would be:

HoF list
1. Born to Run
2. Thunder Road
3. Born in the U.S.A.
4. Jungleland
5. Badlands

Those seem to be his iconic songs.

Most are in the heavy rotation of AOR radio, with the exception of Born In The USA. That was a song of the moment, and feels like it sums up the 80s for him: his biggest selling album, hits all over the place despite (i) most of the hits not even being part of his regular set list rotation now, (ii) not being heavy AOR / Classic Rock playlist items, and (iii) being rather less "hitty" than say their counterparts on Darkness On The Edge Of Town (with the exception of Dancing In The Dark having no real counterpary on Darkness). So... BithUSA kind of needs to be there. I'm not a massive fan of the album version of it, and tend to like the more fiery acoustic version of the Joad and Reunion era a hell of a lot more. But the album version is the iconic one.

Jungleland represents the old sprawling epic that filled ip The Wild, Innocent And E-Street, kind of the last one of its kind lyrically in his 1973-84 era at least in album placement. The ones on Darkness (Racing in the Street) and The River (Point Blank and Drive All Night) and discarded from BithUSA (Frankie) all were more direct lyrically. One could easily put Rosalita here since it was the one that was the "hit", and it certainly got more airplay on AOR when we were kids. But Jungleland seems to have eclipsed it over time, even on airplay. It's a better song as well. :)

On the fifth song, I went with one more likely to get played, that's more familiar. Bandlands has that. I tend to think it also, by leading off Darkness, symbolically led off the stage in his career when Bruce could write / perform more "angry" and more "bleak". He hit down on their luck / hard luck characters / perspectives prior to it, but after you drop the needle on Badlands, you have a slew of songs in the coming years (and up to now) that are just plain bleak.

My favorites today which will likely change tomorrow:

1. Thunder Road
- 1975 piano version as on such as the ones at The Roxy and Hammersmith Odeon

2. Reason To Believe
- love both the original and the band version he did in 2012 in Anaheim that was thankfully without the bullet microphone

3. Red Headed Woman
- yeah... that hits a spot for me ;) But I dug it the first time I heard it on the MTV special

4. Because The Night (with Patti's lyrical improvements ;) )

5. Shut Out the Light
- don't know why that has also stuck with me... heard it at the Sports Arena several times the week that it was released as the B-Side of BithUSA, which made me HAVE to get the single (which hadn't initially been the case for the first two singles). A down song that came during a long period where I was a largely unhappy down kid. :/

Honorable mentions, semi chron order: Growin Up, Spirit in the Night, Thundercrack, She's the One, Adam Raised a Cain, Candy's Room, The Promised Land, The River (really love this live in the 80s with the sound bouncing around the arena / stadium), Atlantic City, My Father's House, This Hard Land, Frankie, Brothers Under the Bridges '83, Rockaway the Days, Trapped, Brilliant Disguise, My Beautiful Reward, Brothers Under the Bridge '95 (love both the '83 in the context of 82-84 songs and the '95 in the context of Joad tour set list in Braxton)

I still really love the stuff that was recorded in the BithUSA era that didn't make BithUSA. I'll have to dig up my set list for my This Hard Land "album" that I burned to CD of my favorite BithUSA outtakes that were b-sides and/or made Tracks... I recall at the time saying that I liked it more than BitUSA. :P

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssg4_KMrS0o

Awesome
guren

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce played with U2 tonight at Times Square in NYC. Bruce and many others filled in for Bono, who couldn't perform due to a recent injury. The full video can be seen on YouTube here:

A (RED) THANK YOU Presented by (BANK OF AMERICA)RED

Bruce's part starts at the 38:30 mark.

While searching around YouTube, I found another video of Bruce and U2, this time with Patti Smith. They played a fiery version of Smith's hit (written by Bruce, of course), "Because the Night". Great version of one of my favorite songs.

U2 with Bruce Springsteen & Patti Smith-Because The Night @ Madison Square Garden

glenn
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second video is blocked in the US. Would it be the HOF version? Same as here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be8YuyneES4

?
guren

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John - yes, that is the one.

I have a quick story that kind of involves this song. Back in the late 70s (yes, I am ancient) I either answered a question on the radio or was the correct number caller and I won an album. I thought I was supposed to get a Gordon Lightfoot album, but when I arrived at the radio station they gave me Patti Smith's Easter. I was a little disappointed because I hadn't heard of Patti Smith, and I wasn't crazy about the album in general, but I listened to "Because the Night" a lot.

glenn
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I posted to PWO two years ago after the 12/04/2012 show talked about in this thread. Kind of spun off recent discussions I'd have of Ric Flair, where I was generally seen as critical of Ric. This was something of a make-amends post. :)

Working the Same Match Night After Night
by jdw, Jan 09 2013 07:19 PM

This obviously is the type of stuff that comes up in all the Flair threads. I thought it worthwhile to think outside of the box, look at other forms of entertainment and see if it's not common elsewhere.

Well of course it is.

Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe books all follow similar structures, have loads of similar shtick, have regular characters who nearly always are "in character" rather than evolving or changing massively. This isn't uncommon for the genre of detective / PI books. Even ones that "evolve" over time like the 87th Precinct live in stories that typically have the same general structure. They get tossed into different adventures, some times they're thrown into peril, some characters get killer off. But you're not going to find two 87th Precinct that are as different as Much Ado About Nothing and Hamlet are in the Bard's catalog.

Of course even the Bard has structure and shtick that is common across plays... lots of it.

Television?

Castle, Mythbusters, Top Chef, No Reservations... these all have/had shtick and structure. Every show might not be the same, and in fact Top Chef tends to have different shtick that gets employed across a season. But there you go: every season you *are* going to get Restaurant Wars, and usually it will go down with the same type of results.

Long running shows like Cheers might have characters come and go as actors leave, or small bit players are liked and turned into regulars. The characters might evolve slightly, but the format is pretty similar across a decade.

Rock stars?

Go back and look at set lists of Led Zep or the Beatles for a tour, or even someone like U2 more recently. They have their Ric Flair getting tossed off the top rope every night. Page might go 20+ minutes on Dazed & Confused one night and only 12 the next, but you generally know what you're going to get on the song: the bow is coming out, you get the non-bow solo afterwards, they time change back into the central riff... and on and on every night.

This really isn't uncommon.

Okay, let's take a look at someone who is famous over the years of turning over his set list: Bruce Springsteen.

He's also noted, like Flair, for being one of the hardest working, "best" live performers in history, for longevity both in individual concerts but also in career length, still grinding out long entertaining shows for his fans after the age of 60. He's pretty much an age and career comp for Flair relative to their businesses.

Here are the set lists of his last four shows of the current leg of the current tour.

Portland, OR
1. Land of Hope and Dreams
2. No Surrender
3. Hungry Heart
4. We Take Care of Our Own
5. Wrecking Ball
6. Death to My Hometown
7. My City of Ruins
8. Spirit in the Night
9. Loose Ends
10. Growin' Up
11. Jack of All Trades
12. Seeds
13. Johnny 99
14. Darlington County
15. Shackled and Drawn
16. Waitin' on a Sunny Day
17. Drive All Night
18. The Rising
19. Badlands
20. Thunder Road

Encore
21. If I Should Fall Behind (solo)
22. Born to Run
23. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
24. Dancing in the Dark
25. Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town
26. Tenth Avenue Freeze-out

Oakland, CA
1. Land of Hope and Dreams
2. Cover Me
3. Adam Raised a Cain
4. Something in the Night
5. Hungry Heart
6. We Take Care of Our Own
7. Wrecking Ball
8. Death to My Hometown
9. My City of Ruins
10. The E Street Shuffle
11. Pay Me My Money Down
12. The Ties That Bind
13. I'm Goin' Down
14. Devils & Dust
15. Because the Night
16. She's the One
17. Shackled and Drawn
18. Waitin' on a Sunny Day
19. Raise Your Hand
20. The Rising
21. Badlands
22. Thunder Road

Encore
23. Kitty's Back
24. Born to Run
25. Dancing in the Dark
26. Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town
27. Tenth Avenue Freeze-out

Anaheim, CA
1. Land of Hope and Dreams (Morello)
2. Adam Raised a Cain
3. Streets of Fire
4. Hungry Heart
5. We Take Care of Our Own
6. Wrecking Ball
7. Death to My Hometown (Morello)
8. My City of Ruins
9. Spirit in the Night
10. The E Street Shuffle
11. Long Time Coming (solo)
12. Reason to Believe
13. This Depression (Morello)
14. Darkness on the Edge of Town
15. Bad Luck (w/ Mike Ness)
16. Because the Night
17. Darlington County
18. Shackled and Drawn
19. Waitin' on a Sunny Day
20. Raise Your Hand
21. The Ghost of Tom Joad (Morello)
22. Badlands (Morello)
23. Thunder Road

Encore
24. Jungleland
25. Born to Run
26. Dancing in the Dark
27. Santa Claus is Comin' to Town
28. Tenth Avenue Freeze-out (Morello)

Glendale, AZ
1. Surprise, Surprise (solo)
2. No Surrender
3. I'm a Rocker
4. Hungry Heart
5. Prove It All Night ('78 intro)
6. Trapped
7. Lost in the Flood
8. We Take Care of Our Own
9. Wrecking Ball
10. Death to My Hometown
11. My City of Ruins
12. Be True
13. Light of Day
14. Darlington County
15. Shackled and Drawn
16. Waitin' on a Sunny Day
17. Apollo Medley (w/ Sam Moore)
18. The Rising
19. Badlands
20. Thunder Road

Encore
21. Incident on 57th Street (solo piano)
22. Born to Run
23. Dancing in the Dark
24. Santa Claus is Comin' to Town (w/ G. Jeffreys)
25. Tenth Avenue Freeze-out (w/ Jared Clemons)

Okay... that's a Song List Dump Of Doom, but bringing a little order to it...

He played 106 songs on the four shows, 55 different songs. Though 12 of those songs were generally "locked in", so it's really 43, of which some were semi-fixtures during this period of the tour.

So in a sense he does mix it up. But is there common structure, and certainly shtick.

* Opening - Opener & Rockers

Three of the shows opened with Land of Hope and Dreams to try to set the theme for the shows. The one that didn't was the tour finale, where he took a request from a guest backstage and opened solo with an obscure song off the Working on a Dream album. Admittedly, that is one of the interesting reasons for going to see Bruce: he will pull stuff out of left field. In turn, the opening song typically is followed with some rockers to pull the crowd into the show. Land of Hope and Dreams isn't one of his hits, nor one of his non-hit warhorses (like say the non-hit "Darkness on the Edge of Town"). So he quickly moved onto rockers and/or guitar songs: No Surrender, Cover Me, Adam Raised a Cain, Streets of Fire or I'm a Rocker. This segment would range from 1 song (in Portland) to two songs. The exception in this was in Oakland where he tagged on Something in the Night, which is a more downbeat song from the Darkness album. Again, performance subject to change depending on the mood and the setlist he's creating.

* Hungry Heart & Crowd Surfing

This early on every show, was common on the tour and by this point was locked into coming after the opening segment. In a sense, it was the climax to the opening segment: his first big hit, feel good song, going out physically into the crowd, etc. It was pure shtick, and fans who saw it a lot got bored with it. Yohe and I only went to one show, and we thought it was an entertaining spot that popped the crowd. Most of the crowd only goes to one show.

* Newer Songs Theme Section

It was always We Take Care of Our Own + Wrecking Ball + Death to My Hometown + My City of Ruins, in that order, pretty much after Hungry Heart. This was a "locked in" part of the set where there were no changes. He moves away from the warhorses and hits, and instead focused on the theme of looking at America.

On the albums, I'm not a huge fan of these songs. Together in a show performed as he did, they work pretty well. People who'd been to a lot of shows got tired of the My City of Ruins performance, but seeing just one show, it's quite well done as the climax to the segment.

The one exception of going straight from Hungry Heart to this segment was the finale where it looked like he called an audible, which from reports was among the highlights of the show. A great trio of songs that he performs the hell out of when I've seen them over the years.

* Fan Selections

Prior to this section and the prior one, he typically would toss in some songs, often playful ones. The E Street Shuffle and/or Spirit in the Night fit the bill on three shows.

This Fan Selections section has been locked into concerts for a couple of tours: fans make signs of a song they want, Bruce looks around for ones he likes, and they do it. Some of them are solo songs, and others are full band songs. This is almost always where you get songs that aren't in the rotation of other "open" non-fixed slots on the tour.

We got the obscure Long Time Coming, very well done solo. We then got the full band, wicked version of Reason to Believe which had been done semi-regularly on a prior recent tour, but not so much here. On the other hand, he had out of nowhere opened a show with it a couple of months back... so there are times he just pulls stuff out of the hat.

8 different songs on the four shows, so this section is one of the reasons that you get variety on his show: 20% of the 43 non-locked in songs game here.

* Down Beat + Rockers

Between the Fan Selection section and the next locked in section, he typically went with some down beat song or two followed by a rocker or two. The rockers here were Darlington County and She's the One, to a lesser degree the semi-moody Because the Night and the rockerish but clearly downbeat Johnny 99. He had mix of downbeat songs, and even a warhorse that is semi-downbeat and semi-rocker ("Darkness on the Edge of Town").

There were 13 songs played in this section, with 10 *different* songs being performed. There's structure, but flexibility on how to fill it.

* Shackled and Drawn + Waitin' on a Sunny Day

Locked in spot.

* Pre-Main Set Closing

Less variety here: 8 songs played, 5 different ones. I suspect that if I looked more closely at some additional playlists from this section of the tour, I would find the The Rising was semi-locked in and just replaced with The Ghost of Tom Joad because Morello was in town, was made such a big guest on the show, and Joad is a well known as a song that he and Bruce have re-envisioned to include Morello's sonic playing.

* Main Set Closing

Badlands and Thunder Road, always. He did the full band version of Thunder Road.

* Encores

Typical structure was Special Song + Born to Run + Dancing in the Dark + Frolicking Song + Tenth Avenue Freeze-out.

Incident is well known by longtime fans among his older non-warhorse songs, so dusting it off popped the hardcores.

We got Jungleland, which while a warhorse is also a Clemons song to make it a bit special here... I love the fuck out of it.

If I Should Fall Behind was a small song that became a key encore song on the Reunion Tour, so pretty well known by fans when it's dusted off now in the encores.

Kitty's Back is another old song from the second album.

Four different songs on four shows, pretty cool to see the mix.

The frolicking song in this part of the tour was Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town, which he's been doing in the Fall/Winter for decades now. If you go back prior to that on the tour, you'll find a songs like Glory Days or Ramrod or Detroit Medley or Light of Day or Rosilita in the mid-late encore slot around Dancing in the Dark and 10th Ave. In fact, Rosie came out on the first of these for shows between Born To Run and Dancing In the Dark.

So...

There's a lot of different "spots", but there's a lot of similar structure, and some of it flat out locked in. There were parts of the tour where you'd get either Because the Night or Prove It All Night (with the 1978 intro) in the "Nils gets his monster solo" slot. The one set list I saw where they both were on, Stevie got the solo on one song while Nils got it on the other.

Bruce had some key locked in things that he wanted to get in, usually in the same spot. But even those could change. Our opener (Land of Hope and Dreams) was a Main Set Closer on at least one show a month or so back.

So working a similar match night after night against the same opponent isn't exactly unusual relative to other forms of entertainment. Heck, someone playing Hamlet on stage for five months is generally doing the same damn thing every night.

On the other hand, where someone like Flair might lack is this:

Ghost of Tom Joad Tour (1995-97)
Reunion Tour (1999-2000)
Rising Tour (2002-03)
Devils & Dust Tour (2005)
Seeger Sessions Band Tour (2006)
Magic Tour (2007-08)
Working on a Dream Tour (2009)
Wrecking Ball Tour (2012)

Those are Bruce's tours in the past 15 years.

Joad and Devils & Dust where essentially solo accoustic tours. Seeger Sessions Band was with a full, non-E Street band of players. The other 5 were E Street backed.

You could argue this is the difference between working Face and Heel. That depends on the worker. Those solo acoustic tours were radically different than the E Street ones, not just musically but also in turning in the Stadiums & Arenas for Small Halls. It might not be the equiv.

On the other hand, working in Much Ado About Nothing and then working in Hamlet might be the equiv of working face for a while and then going heel.

One item I intentionally mentioned was the difference between seeing Bruce once on a tour and seeing him 5-10 times on a tour. The more you see him, the more clear the structure is. When you see him across different tours, you also will see similar "changed arrangements" like Reason To Believe that wouldn't be so radical to you of you only saw one of the tours.

As a lot of us have said, you were unlikely to see Flair "once on a tour". TV and PPV are the obvious ones to point to, but also old school house shows: if you went to six JCP shows a year, it's like seeing six Bruce shows. The toss off the top rope is fresh the first time like the body surfing, but eventually it's not a surprise. You may still find it cool / fun / entertaining, but it's not fresh anymore.

Other elements of Shtick and Structure are there to see, if you care to look for them. If the structure of someone who tries hard to change things up like Bruce is obvious when you look for it, then what does it say for Flair? We've all said that Flair has been as exposed of a "great" as there ever had been up to that point. It means more of his stuff was there for us to see, and even more of it now that we go looking for it. That's great if you love his work. I for one did, and loved whenever something of his was available to see. But that also started in 1986... 26 years ago... it's a lot.

I don't think I want to see the band version of Reason To Beleive six times a year, let alone a dozen. The song came out four years before I started watching wrestling. I've seen it in it's original acoustic form a number of times, and of course have heard it that way for three decades. I've even seen the Bruce+Morello version of it on video. But... I don't want to see it live a load of times. I want to hold onto the feeling I had when they went off into, quickly realizing what it was, and just popping.

With Flair, that's pretty hard. Ric is Born To Run, Badlands, Thunder Road, Promised Land.... those you've seen live a dozen times over the near-30 years you've been going to his shows. Some of them, like Born To Run, you'd just as soon not have to hear every time... but it's in the set list and the crowd is popping. Others like Thunder Road are one of your favorites, and the hell with all the people who are tired of hearing it... YOU want Bruce to roll that one out every time you're in the building.

What you want out of them is for him to be solid, entertaining, not make you feel like he's going through the motions on this one even thought he's been playing it live longer than you've been going to the shows.

Ric is Jungleland when he's rambling on and on in a long match. He done all these spots before. Sometimes he's really feeling it and giving everything he's got into it... and the thing is, he's such a Performer that you haven't got a freaking clue if he's really feeling it, or if he just a Pro in making you think that.

Ric is Dancing in the Dark in a throw away match that you know isn't all that good when you're watching it, but Flair's busting his ass to make it work and *is* connecting with the crowd.

Ric's a whole set list of that.

There is no Reason To Believe because Ric wouldn't make an acoustic album type of a match to being with, then come across the right opponent, take that match, and turn it into a full band version of it. Ric is full band all the time because that's what works for him.

Ric couldn't do Wrestling Hamlet if his life depended on it, probably not because he didn't have the ability to do it if he started studying back in the 70s... but because Much Ado About Nothing and it's type of plays have worked for him, he did them to big numbers and response, and who needs Hamlet because this pro wrestling shit ain't highbrow.

Or something like that...

John
guren

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL;DR

:-)

Very thoughtful post, John.
jdw wrote:
One item I intentionally mentioned was the difference between seeing Bruce once on a tour and seeing him 5-10 times on a tour. The more you see him, the more clear the structure is. When you see him across different tours, you also will see similar "changed arrangements" like Reason To Believe that wouldn't be so radical to you of you only saw one of the tours.

I agree. I used to follow the setlists practically in real-time and would listen to multiple bootlegs from the tours just to experience the different nuances that you mentioned.

Speaking of typical Bruce spots, I would add his preacher spiels, his dedications to Clarence and Danny ("if you're here, and we're here, then they're here"), band introductions, having a child sing on Waiting on a Sunny Day, a guest dancer for "Dancing in the Dark", and his knee slide.

glenn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: