The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Springsteen tour thread...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
guren

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corrado wrote:
But what really stood out for me, was Boss trying for some comedy with silvio. Its bad enough there was a ref there. But "Its Boss time" was horrendous. Not to mention "Im going to Disney World."

He has been doing the comedy / Boss Time shtick at his concerts for a while now. I agree the Disney World line was lame.

Was there a problem with Springsteen's mic during Born to Run? On my feed here in Japan the vocals sounded different during that song.

glenn (playing hooky today)
corrado

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://i39.tinypic.com/bg19w.gif

I wonder if they'll be complaints about this.
Fong

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corrado wrote:
What the hell was that?

From what I saw of the halftime show, that was something that I wouldnt expect from the Boss:

Him changing lyrics to songs (Glory days) for the cheap heat.

I never liked him singing "speedball" in the first place. Makes me think of Dave Ellefson and Dave Mustaine of Megadeth talk about combining herion and coke.

Quote:
Lots of people I didnt recongize from the band. I think I saw Clarence with the cowbell.

Mostly the same folks, although a friend texted me to tell me how awful Van Zandt looks. Truth hurts. The horns were the Miami Horns, who played on the Tunnel Of Love tour and now play with Conan. The guy on the organ was Charlie Giordano, who played on the Seger Sessions tour in 2006 and has subbed in for Dan Federici.

Quote:
But what really stood out for me, was Boss trying for some comedy with silvio. Its bad enough there was a ref there. But "Its Boss time" was horrendous. Not to mention "Im going to Disney World."

The Boss Time schitck made the whole living room laugh in derision at the party I was attending - and I have never liked it either. (Usually it comes during Ramrod, which I have no desire to hear again) And the Disney line, yeah, kinda lame...

Band sounded good. As loyal as Bruce is to them, and vice versa, I really think he needs to re-think the way he tours. I have wanted to see him with a smaller, more focused band for a long time. E Street sits at ten members. Seger Sessions band was around 16 members. I think he really needs to scale it back to a 5 or 6 man band, the way E Street was early on. I'm hoping this is the last go-round for some of the E Street guys, who sound proficient but don't seem to be as passionate and intense as they once were.

Of course, the same could be said of Bruce...

-HJF
guren

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer (or anybody else), are you going to try to get tickets tomorrow? If so, which show(s) will you attend?
Fong

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guren wrote:
Homer (or anybody else), are you going to try to get tickets tomorrow? If so, which show(s) will you attend?

I'm not trying tomorrow. I picked up tickets on the Magic tour the weeks before the show, for somewhere around half price. I want to see him in D.C or Pittsburgh, but with me quitting my job to go back to school, 98 bucks per ticket ain't gonna work. Plus, it looks like there will be a second leg post-Europe, so I may wait for that.

-HJF
(and then there is the whole Max Weinberg issue, which seems still unresolved)
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Bruce really wanted a "play up to the crowd" moment, he would have gone with Dancing in the Dark to end his halftime show and have Courtney Cox appear out of nowhere to dance with him. I definitely would have marked out for that. :)
Fong

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the worst-kept secret in the Bruce camp:

In response to the many questions concerning the upcoming tour, the drummer on the small number of shows that Max Weinberg won't be able to appear at will be a brilliant young drummer from New Jersey named Jay Weinberg. Commenting on the situation, Bruce said: "Once again, I want to express my appreciation to Conan O'Brian, and everyone on his team, for making it possible for Max to continue to do double duty for both us and for him. We promise to return him in one piece."

Jay on stage with E Street last summer

Jay has a metal background, and he held his own on this one song. But to toss him up there in front of crowds ranging from 12,000 in the States to 40 or 50,000 in Europe... seems a bit reckless. Never mind the fact that Max is the steady hand that has kept this band sounding good ever since the Reunion. It's been much less about Steve and Clarence, and MUCH more about the consistency that Max, Garry, Roy, and Nils bring every night.

This could work really well. Or it could be a complete mess.

-HJF
Fong

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opening night in San Jose last night. If setlist variety matters, they're off to a nice start - enough staples, the requisite amount of new songs, and some stuff that hasn't seen the set in quite a while:

1. Badlands
2. Outlaw Pete
3. My Lucky Day
4. No Surrender
5. Out In The Street
6. Working On A Dream
7. SEEDS
8. JOHNNY 99 (full band electric version, similar to the VFC tour)
9. GHOST OF TOM JOAD (full band electric)
10. Good Eye
11. GOOD ROCKIN' TONIGHT (Last airing of this one? Darkness? River tour?)
12. Darlington County
13. Growin' Up (request)
14. Waitin' On A Sunny Day (request)
15. The Promised Land
16. The Wrestler
17. Kingdom Of Days
18. Radio Nowhere
19. Lonesome Day
20. Born To Run

ENCORE

21. HARD TIMES COME AGAIN NO MORE (yup, the old Stephen Foster tune)
22. Thunder Road
23. Dancing In The Dark
24. Tenth Ave Freeze-Out
25. LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS (got a nice break, now it's back)
26. American Land

The middle of the main set loses its sense of structure and focus. But the start seems to be rip-roarin'. Seeds is a welcome surprise. The full-band version of Johnny 99 features brief "solo" interludes from Nils, Roy, Soozie Tyrell, and even Charlie Giordano. There may be a full-band version from 2003 or 04 floating around YouTube...

Yup. Here you go. Johnny 99

One major topic of discussion on the fan sites today: Clarence. Apparently, the playing was rough, as has sadly come to be expected. But more than that - apparently, getting him into the stage requires a major effort. Several fan accounts say that the Big Man really isn't moving well at all. Heck, he's 67, with an artificial hip and knee, and looks like he is still carrying well over 230 lbs. on his frame. It's not shocking. But it is a bit depressing.

Not a bad start.

-HJF
Fong

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lodon Calling. Yes - as in The Clash
CFTV

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a part of an e mail I sent John that had my thoughts about my 1st experience of seeing BRRRRUUUUUUCE last weekend at Bonnaroo and figured it would be for public consumption since we have a lot of Bruce fans on the board. In a weird consequence I have a buddy who works in the suites at Mellon Arena that is a big Pens fan that sent me a nice gift box of stuff from the arena including a copy a show from Pittsburgh from recently where he played Like A Rolling Stone for the 1st time. I had no idea he played Good Lovin' or I would have had a posterboard with my favorite song made so he would maybe doit as he was taking requests which was really cool. I haven't listened to the discs yet as I just got them today but I will pop it on in the morning on the way to work.

Here is the part about the BRRRRUUUUUCE show I saw lsat weekend.

I actually saw BRRRUUUUUUUCE for the 1st time with the E Street Band at Bonnaroo on Saturday Night and it was awesome. I am one of those guys that just knows his hits as I didn't know every song but I was blown away by his energy and the whole bands energy especially Max's son on the kit who was ridiculously AWESOME. The highlight of the show was him going out in the crowd and grabbing signs from fans as he was taking requests. Some hippie brought a life sized Santa Claus cut out and Bruce did Santa Claus Is Coming To Town that everyone in the crowd enjoyed in the middle of June. Of course witnessing my 1st Born To Run also forever will be etched in my brain as that is one of the greatest rock songs ever written.

The following night Trey from Phish towards the end of the 1st set started to talk about how he was like 12 years old and went to his 1st concert and was so blown away by the energy of the performer and he went onto say that in his 12 year old mind he thought that every concert would be as great as the concert he just saw and of course nothing could compare to that night. At that point Trey introduced his musical hero and also fellow New Jersey native Bruce Springsteen to join the rest of Phish on stage and they ripped into a Mustang Sally, Bobby Joe, and Glory Days. It was so cool as I was hanging out with a good buddy from Jersey who now lives in Vermont who has known the guys from Phish from years from living in the same area seeing the legendary Bruce Springsteen rock the fuck out with Phish. No doubt it was awesome but earlier in the night I got the text from my buddy that Misawa passed away in the ring and that took away a lot of the joy from that nights Phish show. Here are vids from youtube from Sunday Night w/Phish and Saturday Night with the E. Street Band that you may enjoy yourself: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=bruce+springsteen+and+bonnaroo&aq=f

Friday Night was pretty ruined as I stood in the middle of BumFuckTennessee with 70k other people for the Beastie Boys as I was gripping my cell phone waiting for text messages of good news that the Wings were beating the Pens turned into goal by Talbot, goal by Talbot, goal by Erricson w/6 minutes left, and finally the Pens are the new Stanley Cup Champions which left me miserable. People all around me were asking why I had my arms crossed and I looked like I was upset and I was because the hockey team that I have been followed since 1983 were losing in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals and there was nothing I could do about it or even watch it. I ended up having a good time through Phish and freaking Paul Oakenfold who did his thing till the sun came up. The start of Bonnaroo was ruined by the announcement that Ronaldo had been sold to Evil Madrid on Thursday Morning. It was the weirdest weekend as I was trying to have a great time but news of 3 shitty things dragged it down with Ronaldo leaving, the Wings losing a Game 7 that I couldn't even watch because they didn't have a TV for it though they had the Magic/Lakers game on in a theater on the grounds, and finally Misawa's passing.
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Friday Night was pretty ruined as I stood in the middle of BumFuckTennessee

lol. . . I lived on a farm in Manchester, TN from the ages of 0-6. In fact the Bonaroo site is hiking distance from the old farm, which I think is a subdivision built around one of the ponds and has been for a decade plus. The tenants my Dad had renting the house burned it down after being evicted for not paying rent for like a year and the farm was auctioned to evil developers.

I had hoped the site actually was part of the old farm, but no dice. BTW, you should tour the Jack Daniels distillery in nearby Lynchburg, TN if you ever are in Bumfuck, er, Manchester and have time to kill.

Nice report, I don't give a whit about Phish or even Bruce anymore, but I always love to hear the annual Bonaroo report from an attendee.

-Chad
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Springsteen and Giants Stadium, a Last Dance

John
Fong

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet opening number from the Spectrum Monday night:

Seaside Bar Song

-HJF
Fong

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce brings the rarities for the last nights at the Specrum, continued:

10/19 -
I Wanna Marry You

10/20 -
The Price You Pay (first airing of any sort since '81)

Higher And Higher

-HJF
Fong

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, jdw. Looks like the Darkness package is off the books...

http://www.spl-messages.net/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/317834/2

There's a gargantuan thread at Backstreets about it - apparently, Landau went Landau and pulled the project at the 11th hour. He seems to see more money in finding a way to market the recent run of live albums Bruce has been playing (multiple playings of BTR, Darkness, and USA; Wild & Innocent and The River once each).

I have a feeling this is leading to another HBO Live In NYC or MTV Live In Barcelona deal, where Landau can pass off the production costs to a third party and pocket the profits. And we get stuck with a subpar representation of the tour. I go back and listen to the bootlegs of the shows used for the LinNYC DVD/CD, and the splicing up of those shows is an atrocity.

Amazes me that Landau remains stuck in 1981 in terms of promotion and marketing of an artist with a sizable archive. (who knows how big it is or isn't) Heck, he can't even go the Phish/ Pearl Jam/ Metallica route of selling current shows!

*sigh*

-HJF
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: