The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Springsteen tour thread...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really depressing. There isn't any reason that the work on it shouldn't have been started right after BTR 30 came out. They would have had *3* years to work on it. :/ Darkness has a TON of concert recordings in great shape to select from, and frankly a fair amount of looking through them had to have been done back on the 1975-85 Live Album. And there are a fair number of shows shot so the concert DVD wouldn't have been tough.

Given this, there won't be a River 30 either.

Blah. :(

John
Fong

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In sifting through the rubble of the Darkness discussion, what it sounds like is that the project is already 95% done. At least. One source makes it sound like it's just a matter of saying when to put it out. Bruce himself said this past summer that he needed just 4-6 more weeks to finish it off. So it's there. And the "when" it comes out boils down to a weird staredown between Landau and Sony. Heck, at this point, it's not just the "when". It's the "if" too.

Sony wanted it for the holiday season, Landau said no. Why he said so is anyone's guess. I think he reads way too much into Springsteen's viability as a top album-selling artist and concert draw and doesn't want to relegate him to a nostalgia act by releasing the archival stuff. Bruce is only a big money act when he's with E Street, and some of the bloom was off that rose in 2009 as well. Working On A Dream barely went gold; even the Super Bowl bump wasn't much help.

The possibilities for Darkness were just astronomical. Re-mastered disc, for sure. There are at least seven full concerts on film, and who knows how many audio recordings. Then there's the vault full of unreleased stuff from the studio. They could have easily tiered this thing so that it priced anywhere from $25- 30 (re-mastered disc, interview, rare tracks) on up to $75 - 100 for a disc, interview, rarities, audio and full-length concert. And several points in between.

Oh well. Get ready for a substandard live album/DVD. Again.

-HJF
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete Townshend needs to get hold of Bruce and teach him how to whore out a catalog. It's criminal the amount of stuff still in Bruce's vault.
Fong

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I spoke too soon, jdw:

The Darkness box WILL happen!

Again, who knows with Landau. He may get a hair up his ass about something and put the kibosh on it again. But it looks good...

-HJF
(gearing up to see Greetings in its entirety Sunday night)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear Darkness is on it's way. Really wish this could have been out for X-Mass. :)

John
Fong

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obligatory live DVD comprised of footage that was already in the can for some other TV broadcast:

http://www.backstreets.com/news.html

I've seen some of the video from the show. It's a good performance. Why they lopped off Rosie, I'm not sure.

But man, this feels pedestrian. I mean... Bruce played each of the first six E Street albums in their entirety in the final couple of months of the tour. Some of them (Born to Run, Darkness, USA) were played several times. Wouldn't those make a much more compelling release, either individually or in a sweet collector's pack?

I was at the show where they played Greetings, and have heard audio from all the others. Cripes - the live performance of The River might have been the best thing Bruce has done sine he put E Street back together in 1999.

Alas, we're getting the same ol', same ol' to tide us over until Darkness 30 (which we can't even call Darkness 30 anymore).

-HJF
(if the Darkness package took this long, how long will a River retrospective package take to assemble?)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess Darkness is the X-Mass release?

Lord knows how long The River will take. What was filmed from the River Tour? Is there a common boot out there?

I really need to hit you and Guren up on tracking down a good boot for the Darkness Tour (Guren did get me one years ago that was choice), The River Tour, and BitUSA Tour. The Joad that Guren hooked me up with was choice as well. Don't know if I need to get one from Tunnel or the Not-The-E-Street-Band tour. :) But maybe.

John
Fong

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're almost there...

http://www.backstreets.com/news.html

Quote:
"The Promise: The Making of Darkness on the Edge of Town takes us into the studio with Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band for the recording of their fourth album. Grammy and Emmy Award-winning filmmaker Thom Zimny has collaborated with Springsteen on this documentary, gaining access to never before seen footage shot between 1976-1978, capturing home rehearsals and recording sessions that allow us to see Springsteen's creative process at work."

So between this, the remastered album, the disc of outtakes from the era that Van Zandt all but guaranteed in a RS interview, plus whatever live show Zimny remastered... this looks like a pretty sweet package from top to bottom.

-HJF
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome, Homer. :)

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Promise: The Darkness On The Edge Of Town Story

CD 1 - Remastered version of the album "Darkness on the Edge of Town"

CD 2 & 3 - The Promise

"The Promise" (Disc 1)
1. Racing In The Street ('78)
2. Gotta Get That Feeling
3. Outside Looking In
4. Someday (We'll Be Together)
5. One Way Street
6. Because The Night
7. Wrong Side Of The Street
8. The Brokenhearted
9. Rendezvous
10. Candy's Boy

"The Promise" (Disc 2)
1. Save My Love
2. Ain't Good Enough For You
3. Fire
4. Spanish Eyes
5. It's A Shame
6. Come On (Let's Go Tonight)
7. Talk To Me
8. The Little Things (My Baby Does)
9. Breakaway
10. The Promise
11. City Of Night

DVD 1 - The Promise: The Making of Darkness on the Edge of Town

Never before seen archival footage shot between 1976-1978, capturing home rehearsals and recording sessions that allow us to see Springsteen’s creative process at work

DVD 2 - Darkness on the Edge of Town: Paramount Theatre, Asbury Park & Thrill Hill Vault: 1976 – 1978

An intimate and complete album performance of “Darkness on the Edge of Town” at Paramount Theatre in Asbury Park, NJ shot in 2009

Never before seen archival footage from the Thrill Hill Vault including complete song performances taken from private band rehearsals, studio sessions, and live concerts during the “Darkness” era

Darkness on the Edge of Town (Paramount Theater, Asbury Park, NJ - 2009)
1. Badlands
2. Adam Raised A Cain
3. Something In The Night
4. Candy's Room
5. Racing In The Street
6. The Promised Land
7. Factory
8. Streets Of Fire
9. Prove It All Night
10. Darkness On The Edge Of Town

Thrill Hill Vault (1976-1978)
1. Save My Love (Holmdel, NJ - '76)
2. Candy's Boy (Holmdel, NJ - '76)
3. Something In The Night (Red Bank, NJ - '76)
4. Don't Look Back (NYC - '78)
5. Ain't Good Enough For You (NYC - '78)
6. The Promise (NYC - '78)
7. Candy's Room Demo (NYC - '78)
8. Badlands (Phoenix - '78)
9. The Promised Land (Phoenix - '78)
10. Prove It All Night (Phoenix - '78)
11. Born To Run (Phoenix - '78)
12. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) (Phoenix - '78)

DVD 3 - Houston ’78 Bootleg: House Cut

Previously unreleased complete concert performance from the historic Darkness on the Edge of Town Tour

Houston '78 Bootleg: House Cut
Previously unreleased complete concert performance from the historic Darkness on the Edge of Town Tour.

1. Badlands
2. Streets Of Fire
3. It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City
4. Darkness On The Edge Of Town
5. Spirit In The Night
6. Independence Day
7. The Promised Land
8. Prove It All Night
9. Racing In The Street
10. Thunder Road
11. Jungleland
12. The Ties That Bind
13. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
14. The Fever
15. Fire
16. Candy's Room
17. Because The Night
18. Point Blank
19. She's The One
20. Backstreets
21. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
22. Born To Run
23. Detroit Medley
24. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
25. You Can't Sit Down
26. Quarter To Three

Um... wow.

What's the buzz on the performance quality of the Houston gig? Homer? Guren?

John
Fong

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, shit. :-)

They got it right with this one. With so much material to comb through, there was no easy way to do it except to just throw it all out there. Well done, Bruce and Landau.

As for Houston... it's late in the tour, so a lot of the arrangements that weren't fleshed out earlier (harmonica intro on Promised Land, really climactic, drawn-out Prove It All Night) are polished.

I haven't seen this one myself. So far, the Bruce nerds' consensus is that this is an awesome package, but the inclusion of the MSG show from August would have made it a bit better. Backstreets doesn't feature the Sad Eyes or Drive All Night interlude. And considering Bruce saw fit to reprise that on the current tour when they did BTR in its entirety, that's notable. But still not enough to detract from the overall package.

The outtakes discs have me excited. I have most of those songs, but not all in full-on remastered overdubbed glory. Spanish Eyes is the best of the bunch. The original Candy's Boy is a trip to hear - sounds more like Frankie than the finished Candy's Room. One of my favorites was a song called The Way. I don't see it on the set, but Bruce may have re-titled it.
The Because The Night original is cool... but it only reinforces how much better Patti Smith's lyrics were.

Can't complain about this in the least.

-HJF
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the Darkness documentary (that will also be in the Darkness box) debuted on HBO last night:

Bruce Springsteen explores a time of 'Darkness'

Didn't record it... will need to set something for it.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw 2/3rds of The Promise and it has me geeked up for the release of the box set. I *wish* that the live dvd was also released as a live CD.

John
Fong

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
Saw 2/3rds of The Promise and it has me geeked up for the release of the box set. I *wish* that the live dvd was also released as a live CD.

John

Sweet! How does it compare to the Born To Run doc? I don't have HBO, so I'm going to wait until the box comes out to just spend a day working through the entire thing.

From what I've read, there isn't any footage like this for The River, so doing a similar package might not be realistic. And obviously for Nebraska, you couldn't do this type of deal. But that doesn't mean there aren't really creative ways to box-set those two.

-HJF
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fong wrote:
Sweet! How does it compare to the Born To Run doc? I don't have HBO, so I'm going to wait until the box comes out to just spend a day working through the entire thing.

Better. More detail on the songwriting process, recording process and the issues he was going through at the time. Much more on what Landau and Little Steven brought to the table. He just seems more at ease talking about this stuff now.

Quote:
From what I've read, there isn't any footage like this for The River, so doing a similar package might not be realistic. And obviously for Nebraska, you couldn't do this type of deal. But that doesn't mean there aren't really creative ways to box-set those two.

I think they probably could do a different type of documentary/making off. It would lack the in-studio footage, but no doubt that's pictures of the recording process. It's always easy to interview Bruce and other involved.

There were a lot of shows taped (Arizona State, Nassau shows, Meadowlands shows), and at least two pro-shoots (Tempe again and the Cap Centre). The ASU show is legendary, and that alone as a bonus would be a selling point to hardcore Bruce Fans. :)

Like I say, it's not hard to do a "making of" doc without studio materials. And the bonus materials with No Nukes and the rehearsals would make it a bit different from the last two box sets. Then the usual full concert.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: