The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Rock and Disney team up for "The Game Plan"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: The Rock and Disney team up for "The Game Plan" Reply with quote

Early reviews are starting to trickle in...

Kirk Honeycutt - The Hollywood Reporter wrote:
'The Game Plan' is a throwback to the days when Disney would recruit second- and third-tier stars to stroll through indifferently written, modestly produced comic fluff that served as family entertainment. In today's market, 'Game Plan' looks like a better fit for the Disney Channel than the local multiplex.

And...

Joe Leydon - Variety wrote:
Every bit as formulaic as its generic ad art suggests, 'The Game Plan' sticks close to the playbook for family-friendly laffers about self-absorbed workaholics suddenly saddled with parental responsibilities. Still, overworked formulas can prove mighty potent with the right ingredient in the mix. Wrestler-turned-actor Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson is the most valuable player here, revealing impressive comic chops and megawatt charisma even while serving as a human punchline for many of the pic's predictable sight gags. Thanks primarily to his game performance, 'Game Plan' could score big in theatrical arenas and homevid playoffs.

Honeycutt's observation may be particularly valid, since The Rock has already been signed to star in a new "Witch Mountain" project.

Frank
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if The Rock in Game Plan can be compared to Vin Diesel in The Pacifier. I never seen a review that suggests Pacifier is really anything special, although I haven't seen the movie itself.

Either way, comedy may be The Rock's calling card. Gridiron Gang wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything special, either. Rundown has its moments, but isn't distinguished from other action movies. Never saw Walking Tall, but that movie didn't get good reviews overall.

And none of those were comedies. With Gridiron Gang, I thought Rock was merely OK, and felt that he really shouldn't consider another dramatic role because it didn't play to his strengths. And repeated action movies would doom Rock to be typecast, ala Chuck Norris.

We'll see how Game Plan fares at the box office, though, but if the premise is considered run of the mill, even if Rock does well in his role, it's not a good initial sign.
dewelar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, basically, The Rock is where Sinbad was 5-10 years ago. Sounds about right.
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Villarreal of the Arizona Daily Star had almost as much fun ripping NFL players as he did ripping "The Game Plan."

Frank

Phil Villarreal - Arizona Daily Star wrote:
Joe is a bachelor known for his "wild" parties, which can't be so wild because the film is rated PG, so the get-togethers consist of people standing around chatting. Pacman Jones or the guys on the Minnesota Vikings' cruise ship could show this guy a thing or two about how to really get his groove on.

When young Peyton (Madison Pettis) shows up at Joe's doorstep, claiming to be the daughter he never knew, Joe flips out and calls his agent (Kyra Sedgwick) to stage a press conference and scrambles around his apartment with the combined incompetent parental lunacy of all three men in "Three Men and a Baby." If he's being honest, any NFL player will tell you that it's not at all uncommon to open the front door to meet an illegitimate child. Either that or a box of human growth hormone.
eron

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank, I know I've been a Rock defender for a while, but... geez, do you rip EVERYTHING he does? Is that the only thing that makes you write about anything wrestling related anymore? The Rock's bewildering movie career?

This'll probably be just as bad as the Pacifier, but won't make as much money, since Rock loves to have movies come out at the worst time of the year for making a buck.

As I've always said, if his movie career bombs, its not as if its a bad thing. He just goes back into wrestling for a few years then moves onto a TV series. Nothing wrong with that.
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eron wrote:
Frank, I know I've been a Rock defender for a while, but... geez, do you rip EVERYTHING he does?

I'd rather not talk about you or me, Eron.

As for the movies The Rock chooses, I doubt he knows what the release date is going to be when he signs on. It's a popular misconception that his weak box office numbers are due to poor release dates. On the contrary, his poor release dates are dictated by his weak support and the weakness of the projects that choose him.

The quote this morning was aimed more at NFL players than it was at the movie. I loved the line "If he's being honest, any NFL player will tell you that it's not at all uncommon to open the front door to meet an illegitimate child. Either that or a box of human growth hormone."

Frank
kjh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that note, I'm surprised he didn't use that punch line to also take a deserved dig at Dwayne "I only used steroids in college" Johnson's former wrestling career.
sideswipe70

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

In short:

Game Plan $22.675 M
The Kingdom $17.694 M

I'm not surprised that Game Plan did well, but I didn't expect it to beat out the Kingdom.

From Dave:
Quote:
The weekend is expected to break $20 million which would be Dwayne Johnson's third highest grossing opening weekend behind "Mummy Returns" and "Scorpion King," but those were franchise movies and the box office wasn't largely based on his star power as "Game Plan" was. Johnson was pleased beyond belief.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$30.5M The Pacifier (1st weekend)
$27.6M Daddy Day Care (1st weekend)
$22.7M Game Plan
$18.9M Daddy Day Care (2nd weekend)
$18.1M The Pacifier (2nd weekend)
$17.7M The Kingdom

Unfair, perhaps... though people we calling this Rock's "Pacifier".

Perhaps this is more fair:

$24.2M The Chronicles of Riddick
$22.7M Game Plan

OUCH!

Okay... I'm being meanspirited.

I would note that this is an uptick for Rock, which is a positive for his career. The other positive is something that I've said a lot of time - Rock's yet to even tap into TV Series Money if his Movie Career doesn't take off.

There's a Two and a Half Men commercial on my TV. Charlie Sheen was hot shit after Platoon, though he never really had a hit where he was the draw. This series has been on for years, and Charlie has likely made a shitload of money from it. His old man did the same thing with West Wing. I keep coming back to guys like Don Johnson and David Curso have TV "hits" that ran for multiple years after their film careers bombs. Johnson had two - he bombed as a youth, had Miami Vice, bombed as an adult, then had Nash Bridges. Freaking Chuck Norris made good bank off his Texas Walker show.

Positive off this movie for future TV?

It helps manipulate TV Execs & Creators that Rock can do comedy as well as "action".

It's also probably interesting to try to figure out how much Rock has made in the movies. Scorp and Rundown might have been lower salaries since he hadn't established anything. Walking Tall would have been signed after Scorp, and if I recall pushed him into the $10M or so range. Game Plan would have been his 4th one in that range, perhaps a bit discounted on the most recent one. But still, he's making between $5M to $10M a year making a movie a year. Beats the fuck out of wrestling and dealing with Vince, Steph and Bangs.

He also turned 35 this year. At the same age, Chuck Norris was still three years away from his "break through" - Good Guys Wear Black. He was almost two decades away from Walker, Texas Ranger.

I'm think Rock is in okay shape financially and in terms of having a "nice little career". The clock is likely ticking on him being "The Next Arnold" unless he had a miracle. But one can do worse than making money and having a nice little career.

John
sideswipe70

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
$30.5M The Pacifier (1st weekend)
$27.6M Daddy Day Care (1st weekend)
$22.7M Game Plan
$18.9M Daddy Day Care (2nd weekend)
$18.1M The Pacifier (2nd weekend)
$17.7M The Kingdom

Unfair, perhaps... though people we calling this Rock's "Pacifier".

The Pacifier comparison is fair. Comparing the Rock to Eddie Murphy when Murphy had already established his "family friendly movie" portion of his career is not fair.

One thing that you didn't mention:
$23.45 M Be Cool

(And it came out the same weekend as the Pacifier.)

Quote:
Perhaps this is more fair:

$24.2M The Chronicles of Riddick
$22.7M Game Plan

OUCH!

Okay... I'm being meanspirited.

Yeah. It's a better comparison in terms of where Rock should be with his career.

*snip discussion about TV - all of which I agree with*

Quote:
He also turned 35 this year. At the same age, Chuck Norris was still three years away from his "break through" - Good Guys Wear Black. He was almost two decades away from Walker, Texas Ranger.

Heck, if we want the comparison to Vin Diesel, Diesel was 34 when Fast and the Furious came out, and 35 when XXX hit. Not to mention that Arnold was 35 when Conan the Barbarian came out.

I wouldn't be shocked if Rock had a breakthrough in the next couple of years. But I wouldn't be shocked if he stayed at this same level of movie stardom either.

Jason
JAG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for missing the point of this discussion.

But what are we talking about here?

As jdw pointed out, the Rock is making a shitload of money and never has to wrestle again. He's a star and is being paid like one.

Who cares if he's not the next Arnold? He's not the next Hulk Hogan. He's not pathetic like Steve Austin and he won't wrestling into his 60s like Ric Flair. Aren't those better comparisons?

Jagdip
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sideswipe70 wrote:
Comparing the Rock to Eddie Murphy when Murphy had already established his "family friendly movie" portion of his career is not fair.

Not intentional. I thought Cuba was the star of the first one, like the second one. Forgot that Eddie anchored it.

Code:
One thing that you didn't mention: 
$23.45 M Be Cool

Different genre, Travolta was the star, and Rock was a 3rd or 4th level co-star in it.

Code:
I wouldn't be shocked if Rock had a breakthrough in the next couple of years.  But I wouldn't be shocked if he stayed at this same level of movie stardom either.

I don't see the breakthrough in a movie that he is carrying anytime soon given what's on the slate for him: Get Smart, Witch Mountain and Shazam.

I isn't carrying Get Smart. I think if Witch Mountain does business, it's unlikely to be Rock that's carrying it, but instead AnnaSophia Robb blossoming into one of those short term drawing teens.

Shazam would be his next chance. I'm up in the air about that having a shot to be big. Given Peter Segal as the director, it appears that it will be a Super Hero Comedy... and I don't know how well that genre does. Segal has a track record of $100M movie, on a streak of four straight that could stretch to 5 with Get Smart. But... the last three are all Adam Sandler. The first one was The Nutty Professor II with Eddie.

So I'm not sure about it.

I also would be surprised if he eventually breaks through with something. But I don't think he's been selecting great projects. It's quite possible that he hasn't been offered anything great. Looking at the movies that did $100M so far this year, I don't see one that Rock could have been offered the anchor role. Not saying it's impossible for him to have handled it, just that looking at the movies they're not the type of things that he'd be offered.

John
eron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to Johnny Bravo?

He seems well liked in Hollywood, so I'm expecting in the next few years he'll start getting more ensemble cast roles, which can sometimes be just as good as starring when it comes to the money flow (Oceans Eleven sort of thing). Be Cool and Get Smart is the start to that.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAG wrote:
I apologize for missing the point of this discussion.

Just talking about his movie career, its success, or it's lack of success. We've been doing it here since Scorpion King came out, and have had the various "Rock needs his Battleship Movie" discussions.

John
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure beats hanging out with the WWE Divas!

eron wrote:
What happened to Johnny Bravo?

On another note, the long suffering "Spy Hunter" project has been revived. Paul Anderson ("Alien vs. Predator") has replaced John Woo at the helm. The rest of the details are uncertain as they appear to be starting over from scratch.

The Rock is certain to appear in Richard Kelly's "Southland Tales", now slated for release in early November. Kelly's picture bombed at Cannes. Rumors had the studio chopping almost an hour out of Kelly's Cannes version, to the point of making the story unrecognizable.

Frank

(Kobe is making a nice chunk of change. Can we still discuss his career?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: