The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Rock and Disney team up for "The Game Plan"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JAG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(Kobe is making a nice chunk of change. Can we still discuss his career?)

I assume this was directed at my question.

The essence of this thread seems to be that Rock is not the next big action star and thus is a failure. I think that's silly. Rock is making a shitload of money and will do so for the foreseeable future. I'm sure he'd love to be the next Arnold, but there might not be a next Arnold.

So what's wrong with just being a movie star that gets paid big money and doesn't have to be in the awful wrestling business?

And failure is relative, as he happens to have the No. 1 movie in the country this week and perception will be that he's a huge success.

As for him not becoming the biggest action star in history:

"Whoop-de-damn-do!" -- Derrick Coleman

Jagdip
eron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAG wrote:
So what's wrong with just being a movie star that gets paid big money and doesn't have to be in the awful wrestling business?

Jag, really... its a dead end. I've been working on frank for years now. If he does bad business with a good movie (Rundown), it was a bad move. If he does good business with a bad movie (Game Plan), I'm sure its still missing its mark somehow. You can't win.

As for Kelly's Southland Tales, that really goes onto the head of Richard Kelly. I was really interested in the project, but it seems like it was too much in one movie. At least, unlike that turd Troy Duffy, he got his second movie.

I bet we'll see it released with an hour cut out from the studio, and then a year later, the movie will be released with the hour added back in. That seems to be the new little hollywood trick for just about fucking everything. Blade Runner was the first Director's Cut, but it had a good purpose. I've seen everything from Alexander to Payback now in "Director's Cut" releases to try to add mileage by appeasing videophiles. Getting tired of it. I now have to read up on IMDB or Wikipedia to see if a movie was butchered when making it to the theatre to decide whether to even bother watching the re-cut or waiting for the Directorial Rebellion.
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, doing a Disney comedy was a good move. I've maintained all along that The Rock was miscast as Arnold II, the strong, silent type. It was his comedic ability, not his glower, that made him a star in wrestling.

This thread started with a couple of reviews, one positive and one negative. Eron throws the 'why hate on Rock' bomb at me every time, no matter what I write. JAG's new 'why discuss the Rock' bomb suggests that we simply shutter these boards and stay home. That is unproductive and suggests an obvious defensiveness about The Rock's acting career.

Getting out of pro wrestling was a great career move for The Rock. I'm glad to see he's achieved financial success in Hollywood. Critics still seem to like him, even when they don't like the films he's in, so obviously the charm that made him a successful pro wrestler has crossed over.

I think the fanboys who claimed The Rock would become the next Arnold were defensively hitting the "wrestling is mainstream!" pipe, but since The Rock has left wrestling behind, their insecurity is no longer his problem.

Frank
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Frank's attitude toward Rock's movie career has more to do with some people (not here at this forum) thinking that Rock having a successful movie career would somehow translate into a positive for pro wrestling. We all know that has proven not to be the case.

More to the point, there are those movie critics who keep talking about how much talent Rock has, but the question has to be asked, "If he is so talented, why can't he get better material?"

Answer: Because those in Hollywood who can put together good material aren't convinced Rock can sell it.

I'm not saying that is Rock's fault, nor am I saying he hasn't been successful in his own eyes. I am saying, and I believe Frank is also saying, that there are those in Hollywood who remain unconvinced that Rock can be a big draw, and if Rock is to reach that level, he needs to take a project that isn't good and find ways to make people buy into it.

Arnold may not be the best comparison, but Arnold tended to be given subpar material to work with in his earlier years, but found a way to make the people buy into it. As a result, he got better projects later in his career.

It's not a case of Rock not being successful as he himself sees it. It's case of Rock not having yet found a way to take subpar material and make people buy into it.
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rock will always be considered a success thanks to ventures like WWE Films which clearly illustrate failure. That said, is The Rock "the next Vin Diesel" and does the average Rock fan think Vin Diesel is a success just because he drew well in a few films? Are eron and JAG offended when JDW and I take potshots at Steven Segal? Has The Rock been more successful than Steven Segal?

I get the feeling we're all trapped in roles that were defined several years ago.

I wish no ill on The Rock's career. I think he's made unwise choices that have pushed him toward weaker projects, but it beats working for Vince. On that count, The Rock's career has to be judged as a personal success.

Frank
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank_Jewett wrote:
JAG's new 'why discuss the Rock' bomb suggests that we simply shutter these boards and stay home.

I don't think Jag was being literal there, and his comment suggested something entirely different.

John
eron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank_Jewett wrote:
Eron throws the 'why hate on Rock' bomb at me every time, no matter what I write.

Whenever a Rock movie comes up, who posts up the numbers and comments on the negative decision it was?

You.

In this example, yes, you posted a positive review and a negative review, yet finished discussing the negative review, which implies the film is a negative. We can go back to every single Rock movie thread you have made (Since it has been you who always makes them...) and see the negativity. It just confuses me. What's the point? Is it to prove the point that Rock has not become the next Arnold, a point you are making to... wait, what audience?

And don't give me any, "So, you want me to talk about nothing?" excuses. There are a 1000 and 1 stories out there in Movie Land. If you only pick Rock because its tied to wrestling, why don't you post about wrestling anymore? There is some neat stuff going on about the return of Jericho.

Frank_Jewett wrote:
Are eron and JAG offended when JDW and I take potshots at Steven Segal?

I don't remember your tOA threads for Flight of Fury, Mercenary for Justice or Into the Sun...

Frank_Jewett wrote:
Has The Rock been more successful than Steven Segal?

He hasn't a box office smash like Under Siege, so no. However, Segal is a one hit wonder. While Rock hasn't had that one big hit, he'll probably have the sort of career that'll eventually let him pile up a bunch of small hits for the studio that keep it going. Right now he hasn't exceeded well in that but as time goes on and Rock peels off the action hero image, he should do fine.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game Plan estimates through the second weekend:

Total: $42.8 million (through second weekend)
First weekend: $22.9 million
Second weekend (estimate): $16.2 million

It didn't drop that much at all in its second weekend. As comparison, here are three other movies in which Rock was given the lead role.

Rundown - $47.7 million

First weekend: $18.5 million
Second weekend: $9.6 million (48 percent drop)

Walking Tall - $46.4 million

First weekend: $15.5 million
Second weekend: $8.4 million (46 percent drop)

Gridiron Gang - $38.4 million

First weekend: $14.4 million
Second weekend: $9.4 million (34 percent drop)

Game Plan clearly has better legs than any of the other movies Rock had the lead role in.

Since Vin Diesel and the Pacifier have been brought up, here's the first two weekend totals for comparison, along with total domestic revenue.

The Pacifier - $113 million

First weekend: $30.5 million
Second weekend: $18.1 million (41 percent drop)

While Pacifier drew more money in its first two weekends than Game Plan, the drop from the first to the second weekend is much greater.

I don't know if Game Plan can reach $100 million. But it will definitely be the most successful film Rock has had the lead role in... and a film that wasn't following from another franchise, as was the case with Scorpion King, which came as a result of the Mummy franchise.

If Game Plan reaches $75 million, I can certainly imagine the studio will be happy, and Rock will be very happy.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprising second week. Beating The Heartbreak Kid was a massive upset.

Over on Mojo, the average predictions were:

$27.8M The Heartbreak Kid
$14.3M Game Plan
$11.1M The Seeker
$10.1M Kingdom

End up being:

$16.3M Game Plan
$14.0M The Heartbreak Kid
$9.3M Kingdom
$3.7M The Seeker

I think HBK could safely be called "extremely disappointing", while Seeker is "a massive bomb".

With HBK, the Farrelly Brothers continue their streak of shitty box office.

John
Dave Hogg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Game Plan" is every Disney sports movie rolled into one. You knew after 10 seconds of the movie exactly how it was going to end, and you had a pretty good idea of how it was going to get there.

The Rock, though, is very good. It's a perfect role for him, because he gets to play straight man for an 8-year-old Mick Foley, and he's funny in his own right. He also has great chemistry with Roselyn Sanchez.

I'm not a huge defender of his movie career - I have "Walking Tall" as the second-worst movie I've seen in a theater, and "The Rundown" is probably in the bottom 20 - but he's good in this kind of role.

Most importantly, my 12-year-old daughter loved the movie, which is what Disney cares about more than what any of us think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opening big with #1 two weeks in a row will keep him off TV for 3 or 4 years. He'll get a lot of jobs.---Yohe
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game Plan pulls in an estimated $11.5 million for its third weekend. It finished as No. 2 for the weekend box office.

At this point, I'd say $80 million is a lock.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very surprising with three big "openings" this weekend:

* Why Did I Get Married

* We Own the Night

* Michael Clayton (going wide after limited release in 15 theaters the week before)

Along with the wide release of Elizabeth, though that wasn't going to do big business.

Pretty impressive legs. Nothing really in its niche in the near-term, either.

John
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estimates put Game Plan at $8.12 million in its fourth weekend, which means it would pass $70 million.

I still think $80 million will be reached.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of Nov. 9, Game Plan has made an estimated total of $83.6 million.

Certainly, it's Rock's most successful movie that wasn't a spinoff of another popular franchise (referring to Scorpion King). And I would say it certainly exceeded studio expectations.

It's also worth noting the foreign revenues pushed Game Plan to more than $90 million worldwide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: