The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Writers Strike 2007

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corrado

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Writers Strike 2007 Reply with quote

Starting today, the Writers Guild (WGA) will go on strike. Talks with them and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers broke down last night.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/11/05/hollywood.labor.ap.ap/index.html

Here's a good reference site regarding the strike:

http://deadlinehollywooddaily.com/

Its really hard to side with anyone on this. Both sides made bullish moves here.
eron

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Writers Strike 2007 Reply with quote

corrado wrote:
Its really hard to side with anyone on this. Both sides made bullish moves here.

That is how you can describe most labour disputes.
Jeremy Billones

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The writers are absolutely in the right, but they are using extremely poor tactics. A writers strike won't have any effect for months, and they're out there on their own. If at all possible, they should have waited for the actor and director guild contracts to expire then have everyone go at once.
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://getbackinthatroom.blogspot.com/

This is a site of people who lost their jobs due to the strike. I'm starting to grow more upset at both sides, particlarly the writers side for acting like publicity hounds, trying to enlist celebrities and their own kids to help them picket. I sympathize more now with the poor people who lost their job.
Regan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh. If the work of the writers is so pivotal to the Hollywood economic infrastructure, maybe it would be a good idea to pay them an extra 4 cents for DVDs, and some money for internet. It's sad that other staff is being hurt by the strike, but the reasons strike work at all is because they adversely affect the companies.

Management acted in poor faith. Towards the complaints that the writers are enlisting celebrities and their children, they're up against the media. You know, the people who control the news. On a PR side (and that's another important aspect of strikes), they're at a disadvantage. I wish they'd stop striking because I watch television. But I have to support the writers on this one.

Kevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: