The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2008 Rock and Roll HOF thread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fong

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: 2008 Rock and Roll HOF thread Reply with quote

Nominees were announced a while ago. Again, up to five can be elected, and all artists had to have their first official release before Dec. 31, 1982:

Madonna*
Beastie Boys*
Afrika Bambaataa
Dave Clark Five
Leonard Cohen
Donna Summer
John Mellencamp
The Ventures
Chic

* - first appearance on ballot

Seems like a no-brainer that Madonna and the Beasties are going in. Madonna's induction will once again spur that debate whether the HOF recognizes "rock and roll", or is it just a way to throw in every pop star who sells a certain number of records. Dave Clark Five didn't get in last year, and I suppose that will be rectified this year.

The others? Not so sure. Mellencamp is an interesting one - he had that identifiable sound; heartland rock mixed with 80's bombast. On occassion, he tried to expand his sound, even though it never felt like he strayed too far from home. But his words never carried the gravitas that Dylan did in the 60's, and he often seemed a simpler, more heartland-ish version of Springsteen. He's made some really good stuff, like the Scarecrow album. But he wasn't consistent enough a performer to make me think he deserves immediate induction. That, and I hate hearing his song nine times a day during NFL doubleheaders.

Donna Summer, I can't see getting in. The Hall has enough time validating heavy metal's existence, taking seven years to induct Black Sabbath, not even mentioning KISS or Rush (I know, Rush wasn't a metal band, work with me here), and it'll be interesting to see how Metallica fares next year.

So if they can barely even acknowledge metal, the prognosis for the Queen of Disco can't be all that strong.

Any thoughts on the others?

-HJF
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of it really has to do with the influence an artist had.

Madonna definitely had a lot of influence on the music industry. The Beastie Boys did as well.

Donna Summer is kind of iffy as far as influence goes, ditto for John Mellencamp.

As I understand it, there's more to Kiss not getting in than just the Hall having no clue what to do with metal/hard rock. But regardless of the reasons (unless there is a "years in the industry" rule that Kiss somehow hasn't met), the fact Kiss isn't in the Hall is a joke.

I don't care what anyone here thinks of Kiss. Yes, Gene Simmons is sometimes kooky. But those who say Kiss had no influence on the music industry are those who know nothing about the music industry.
Tomer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mellencamp apparently announced that he got voted in, which leaves 4 other spots. Please, there's going to be 1-2 nonperformer inductees this year as well and a sidemen inductee. I hope Brian Eno finally gets in as a nonperformer...

Quote:
As I understand it, there's more to Kiss not getting in than just the Hall having no clue what to do with metal/hard rock. But regardless of the reasons (unless there is a "years in the industry" rule that Kiss somehow hasn't met), the fact Kiss isn't in the Hall is a joke.

I don't care what anyone here thinks of Kiss. Yes, Gene Simmons is sometimes kooky. But those who say Kiss had no influence on the music industry are those who know nothing about the music industry.

KISS hasn't been nominated because Jann Wenner & Dave Marsh (amongst other nominating committee/senior executive members of the HOF) have basically blocked them from ever getting on the ballot. Marsh even said:

Quote:
Kiss is not a great band, Kiss was never a great band, Kiss never will be a great band, and I have done my share to keep them off the ballot.

-Tomer
cNJ Chris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2008 Rock and Roll HOF thread Reply with quote

Leonard Cohen is one of my all time favorite musicians and maybe that taints my view, but I can't imagine any rock and roll hall of fame that wouldn't include him.

I own a few Beasties albums and really wouldn't care if they got in or not... they're damn fine musicians. I don't consider anything rock and roll about Madonna, but I don't know what sort of criteria this place has. She is a very good performer and has had lots of good songs, I wouldn't be up in arms.

I've heard 3 seconds of Afrika Bambaataa, I'm told he's important to hip hop. No comment.

I can't name anything the Dave Clark Five did... I was gonna say How Do You Do It, but that's Gerry and the Pacemakers. They're so third class British Invasion.

I've liked the instrumental style that the Ventures popularized (I've enjoyed the Shadows), although I can't say I'm familiar with them specifically apart from Walk Don't Run and Hawaii Five-O. They probably should go in.

Chic was a really good band and I hate disco music. Oh, and no to Donna Summer.

I can't stand John Mellencamp, too bad he's in.

I will give a second thought on the merits of this HOF if they promise never to let Kiss in.
Tomer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some rumors that the Ventures are in as well. As a note, the HOF announcement is tomorrow.
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Clark Five had 8 top ten hits from 1964 to 1967, including "Over And Over" (#1), "Because" (#3), "Bits and Pieces" (#4), and "Glad All Over" (#6). Gerry and the Pacemakers had 3 top ten hits from 1964 to 1965.

I wouldn't put the Dave Clark Five in the HOF because they were well below The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, and The Kinks, but they were around the same level as The Yardbirds, The Hollies, and Spencer Davis Group.

Frank
Tomer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank_Jewett wrote:
I wouldn't put the Dave Clark Five in the HOF because they were well below The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, and The Kinks, but they were around the same level as The Yardbirds, The Hollies, and Spencer Davis Group.

Looks like the Dave Clark Five got put into the HOF. Here's the inductee list:

Performers:

Leonard Cohen
The Dave Clark Five (Dave Clark, Lenny Davidson, Rick Huxley, Denis Payton and Mike Smith)
Madonna
John Mellencamp
The Ventures (Bob Bogle, Nokie Edwards, Gerry McGee, Mel Taylor, Don Wilson)

Non-Performer:

Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff

Sidemen:

Little Walter

----------

I'm saddened that Brian Eno once again got blown off as a non-performer inductee. I wonder who he pissed off in the nominating committee to get the cold shoulder.

Funny that the 2 Hip-Hop performers (Beastie Boys & Afrika Bambaataa) and the 2 Disco performers (Chic & Donna Summer) were both bypassed this year.

BTW, the Yardbirds actually got put in the 1992 class, likely due to the "Oh my god! Clapton, Page & Beck!" factor more than anything.
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DC5 used to get some rub for influence. Their early hits were throwbacks to the early sixties sound (sax, organ) that got crushed by both the British Invasion (Yes, they were part of the invasion, too) as well as Motown. I haven't listened to enough of their later stuff, though I seem to recall reading that they produced an album that got bandied about with "Sgt. Pepper's" and "Pet Sounds."

DC5 was rare on vinyl for years because Dave Clark owned the rights and hadn't authorized anything for decades. They eventually issued a two-disc anthology that was priced right out of the oldies market. I think they didn't understand the potential audience for a "ten greatest hits" disc and that given a couple of years, those fans might want more, so instead they targeted the hardcore fans.

Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: