The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Compass...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Compass... Reply with quote

Looks like the talk this past week of box office expectations were on the mark. See the LA Time Business section, which now has a Friday box office expectations column.

$8M opening day, relative to the $23M Narnia did on its opening day.

Not good. Reviews have been mixed, so word of mouth and legs aren't going to work in its favor.

John
eron

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a friend who was a huge fan of the series who says they completely fucked up the ending and changed it, when the ending to the first His Dark Materials was one of the reasons the book is so beloved and why the series was strong. Pretty much a move on the level of taking out Gandalf breaking Saruman's staff in the Jackson movies (I heard they put it in as a deleted scene in Return of the King. I never bothered to look for it because not including that in the regular motion picture was a complete disgrace to me... yeah. Didn't mean to wake up that anger but yeah).
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: spoiler Reply with quote

I know nothing about the book or anything about the story but I saw the movie tonight & it isn't much. Didn't hate it but it's not a good movie. Liked the bears & the actors were interesting. Can't believe the moron Christians are upset with it. I don't see the problem. It's just nonsense.

If they think its going to make enough money for two more movies, theyre nuts. The god freaks (sorry James) are just giving it good PR. In today's world the christians would get upset over the plot of Jack & The Beanstock...the one with Abott & Costello.

The bears fighting was cool...reminded me of the time I wrestled Victor the Bear. The good bear sells like Buddy Rogers or Jim Londos thru most of the fight, and then comes alive to win with some type of jaw hold like Mick Folley.

It doesn't have an ending, maybe they've made two film already. Good luck.---Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian groups had issues with the book, and with some knowledge of the book were able to read between the lines on some of the stuff the movie muted.

The series of books is an *extremely* anti-Organized Relgion book. I could see them getting up at arms about it.

Note - I happen to think the series is brilliant. But I also am not religious.

John
Jeremy Billones

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I kept thinking that THE LORD OF RINGS could have been this bad if it were not for the genius of Peter Jackson's directing."

- Steve Rhodes, InternetReviews.com
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARGH!

:)

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: